Disney World PF Gathering and Tips for Disney Mania!

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary: This couscous and tagine restaurant is quite popular and usually has a long wait. Try coming at night when it’s less crowded.9. Yacht Club at the Epcot resort – This club has a beautiful view of the fireworks show at Epcot. However, this is a “resort” so it’s quite pricey. You may be able to get in if you call the club in advance and ask if there are any openings.10. The Living Seas – Usually there are long lines for this aquarium, but it’s worth the wait. You get to see all kinds of neat fish and amphibians.
Evo said:
Sure, get me hooked on collecting Disney pins once I'm destitute. :cry: I'll be standing on the street corner with my cardboard sign "need money for Disney pins".

No, no! You don't understand! Go on ebay and you'll see that you can make a comfy living just by selling Disney Pins! There are many poor souls like me who'll pay top dollar just to get that last pin to make a complete set!

Besides, that sign should read "Will work for Disney Pins!" :)

Zz.

Drat! Moonbie beat me to it!

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
That's okay, I'm already working on my sign, "Will Work For Disney Pins." :rofl:
See, that's much better than my sign. :frown: I even fail at being homeless. :cry:

Oooh, I have this great porcelain Disney collector's set of all the characters with furniture and ovens, utensils, etc... in a wooden house (each character has a different "room" and theme). I love that collection. I have all the certificates.

Evo said:
See, that's much better than my sign. :frown: I even fail at being homeless. :cry:
Don't worry, I'll share my Boone's Farm "wine" with you. :tongue2: (I just couldn't bring myself to call it "wine" without quotation marks.)

Moonbear said:
Don't worry, I'll share my Boone's Farm "wine" with you. :tongue2: (I just couldn't bring myself to call it "wine" without quotation marks.)
Can I live under your deck with the stray cat?

Evo said:
Can I live under your deck with the stray cat?
You'll have to ask the cat. :biggrin:

OK, so I'm starting on the slippery slope of Disney pin collection mania, mostly those you can find at the Walt Disney World resort.

Today, June 14th, is the release of the latest "jumbo" pin. This time it is "It's A Small World" jumbo pin. There is only 750 of such pins being released, and only at Walt Disney World.

My "agents" working at Disney World have been instructed to get two of them today. :)

Zz.

Last edited:
Oh no, oh no, oh no...

Remember what I said last time about Mission Space? OK, now read this...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050614/ap_on_re_us/disney_world_death

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZapperZ said:
Oh no, oh no, oh no...

Remember what I said last time about Mission Space? OK, now read this...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050614/ap_on_re_us/disney_world_death

Zz.

Why would you take a 4-year old on a ride like that in the first place? :confused: Something tells me that ride will soon be replaced with something else. That one doesn't even sound fun, it sounds painful!

Moonbear said:
Why would you take a 4-year old on a ride like that in the first place? :confused: Something tells me that ride will soon be replaced with something else. That one doesn't even sound fun, it sounds painful!

It is actually a fun ride, Moonbie... at least that one time that I rode it. I wish, wish, wish I could go on it again, but I know it's not going to be pretty the second time around. It certainly is more harmless than most of the rollercoaster rides you see at many amusement parks. Even with all the reported effects, it is still one of the most popular attraction at Epcot.

However, while Mission Space and Test Track were the top attractions at Epcot, they may have both been replaced by Soarin', judging from the lines and how quickly the fast pass disappears when I was there. So if any PF'ers are coming with me this Sept., be warned. We will be lining up at Epcot when it opens and head straight to The Land to ride Soarin' multiple times! :)

Zz.

I do much better on rides where I can't see what they look like before I get on them, or find out much too late. I think half my problem is I get psyched out watching the ride before I ever get on it. But, but, but, centrifugal force sounds "spinny," and I don't do spinny well. :tongue2: I can do straight lines at high speeds, and big hills (if I don't stare at them too long first...just don't tell me the big hill I'm looking at is for the ride I'm standing in line for and I'll be fine), but as soon as the ride starts twisting, rotating or spinning at high speed, I get nauseous. The Dumbo Ride is okay, and those swings are okay, but if you get much faster than that, especially if I'm turning in a direction I'm not facing, I turn green. I can handle teacups, but even that pushes my limits, and sometimes I have to sit for a few minutes after teacups to stop spinning, and then I'll get a headache that won't go away for the rest of the day and ruins all my fun. So, I just opt to sit out the really bad, spinny rides.

Disney Pins

I first got hooked on collecting Disney Pins when I found out that they release Passholder exclusive pins. As annual passholder, I started gobbling up these pins as soon as they came out. They are much sought-after, and they are certainly one of the desired pins for trading.

During the last visit to Disney World a couple of weeks ago, several new pins were or have been released. Below are just two out of a "few" that I obtained.

Zz.

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
I first got hooked on collecting Disney Pins when I found out that they release Passholder exclusive pins. As annual passholder, I started gobbling up these pins as soon as they came out. They are much sought-after, and they are certainly one of the desired pins for trading.

During the last visit to Disney World a couple of weeks ago, several new pins were or have been released. Below are just two out of a "few" that I obtained.

Zz.
Darn you Zz! These pins are cool, (that small world one is really pretty), now I want pins to go with my porcelain Disney collection. :devil:

Evo said:
Darn you Zz! These pins are cool, (that small world one is really pretty), now I want pins to go with my porcelain Disney collection. :devil:

Evo dear, I have one Passholder exclusive pin with YOUR name on it! And I have one for Moonbie also. :)

I also have an incomplete set of Stitch Great Adventure pins (4 or 5 of them out of an unknown number in the set) that I'm GIVING away either by trading or whatever. I'll save them for you if you want them...

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Evo dear, I have one Passholder exclusive pin with YOUR name on it! And I have one for Moonbie also. :)

I also have an incomplete set of Stitch Great Adventure pins (4 or 5 of them out of an unknown number in the set) that I'm GIVING away either by trading or whatever. I'll save them for you if you want them...

Zz.
Ooooh yes! We need to talk. :approve:

(will work for Disney pins) :biggrin:

Aww...isn't ZZ so sweet! Well, the good news is I won't be jobless and homeless, the bad news is I'll be moving at the beginning of September. :grumpy: I'll have to wait for a later round of Disney adventures. But, I'm definitely going to get in on one of them, it just can't be September.

*starts singing, "Country roads, take me home..."* Can you guess where I'm moving? :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
Aww...isn't ZZ so sweet! Well, the good news is I won't be jobless and homeless, the bad news is I'll be moving at the beginning of September. :grumpy: I'll have to wait for a later round of Disney adventures. But, I'm definitely going to get in on one of them, it just can't be September.

*starts singing, "Country roads, take me home..."* Can you guess where I'm moving? :rolleyes:
It's Colorado or College Station! Did you take the position in TX?

Evo said:
It's Colorado or College Station! Did you take the position in TX?
Nope...sing a few more bars of the song. :tongue2: This is just a lateral move because the lab I currently work in is leaving the country...hence why I'm not very cheerful about it.

Moonbear said:
Nope...sing a few more bars of the song. :tongue2: This is just a lateral move because the lab I currently work in is leaving the country...hence why I'm not very cheerful about it.

Oh my god, West Virginia??!

Do they even allow people to have Disney Pins there?

<runs and hides from West Virginians>

Zz.

Evo,

I sort of remember you telling me that you're a "plant freak". In any case, just to seduce you more into this pin collecting thing, tomorrow, June 17th, is the release of a set of Disney pins with the theme "Our Disney Garden 2005". Check it out:

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/event?id=9469

These pins will only be sold at two locations in Epcot, and only 2000 sets will be available.

I'd say we get Moonbie's parents to go to Epcot tomorrow and buy several of these for us. :)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Oh my god, West Virginia??!

Do they even allow people to have Disney Pins there?

<runs and hides from West Virginians>

Zz.
Skeeeery, huh? :rofl: A few years ago, I would have never even considered it (on my first trip there, my friends were teasing me not to stand too close to any road signs, I might get shot :tongue2:), but the area around the university has been building up by leaps and bounds. Every time I've been there (I'm usually there about once every 6 months), it's grown noticeably from the time before. Tons of new construction, some new businesses moving in, etc. They're even starting to complain about traffic :rofl:...there is no perceptible traffic, but compared to the wide open highways they used to have, there are now cars on the road at rush hour. Oh, and I get the first day of hunting season as an official holiday. :biggrin: :uhh: I better make sure I have some orange clothes in my wardrobe for that day. :rofl:

I better get a compass for the car though. I get soooooooo lost on the roads around there. It's all mountains, so by the time I'm done going up, down, and around a few times, I have no idea which way I'm going. I'm not used to having to keep track of roads in three dimensions. Hmm...maybe I need an altimeter too. :tongue2:

I'd say we get Moonbie's parents to go to Epcot tomorrow and buy several of these for us. :)
Ha ha...well, with my parents, if I asked, they'd gladly go do me the "favor," but they'd come back with all the wrong thing. "Well, we saw these other buttons instead that were cheaper than those pins you asked for, and they had Disney characters on them too, so we got those instead so you didn't waste your money on those expensive other pins." I thought Santa was the most inept moron as a kid; he never got anything right when I sent him my Christmas list -- I asked for one thing and got something with a name that sounded somewhat like what I asked for or started with the same letter as...I started to wonder if Santa's elves knew how to read. :confused:

Moonbear said:
But, but, but, centrifugal force sounds "spinny," and I don't do spinny well.
On the contrary, my dear. Some of your posts indicate that you can be highly 'spinny' when you exert yourself. :tongue:
Anyhow, a launch simulation most likely revolves you around a central axis to give the effect of an 'eyeballs-in' high-gee environment, rather than rotating you around your own axis as in the teacups. (Like a fast merry-go-round.)
Good luck with the move, but... now you're going to be even farther away! :cry:

Danger said:
On the contrary, my dear. Some of your posts indicate that you can be highly 'spinny' when you exert yourself. :tongue:
Anyhow, a launch simulation most likely revolves you around a central axis to give the effect of an 'eyeballs-in' high-gee environment, rather than rotating you around your own axis as in the teacups. (Like a fast merry-go-round.)
Good luck with the move, but... now you're going to be even farther away! :cry:
It's reminding me of those "rotor" rides in most amusement parks. Test tubes go in the centrifuge, I stand on the outside until the buzzer says it has stopped moving. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Skeeeery, huh? :rofl: A few years ago, I would have never even considered it (on my first trip there, my friends were teasing me not to stand too close to any road signs, I might get shot :tongue2:), but the area around the university has been building up by leaps and bounds. Every time I've been there (I'm usually there about once every 6 months), it's grown noticeably from the time before. Tons of new construction, some new businesses moving in, etc. They're even starting to complain about traffic :rofl:...there is no perceptible traffic, but compared to the wide open highways they used to have, there are now cars on the road at rush hour. Oh, and I get the first day of hunting season as an official holiday. :biggrin: :uhh: I better make sure I have some orange clothes in my wardrobe for that day. :rofl:

OK, I hope this is Morgantown, W. Virginia, because I don't know of any other "reputable" university in W. Virginia.

Ha ha...well, with my parents, if I asked, they'd gladly go do me the "favor," but they'd come back with all the wrong thing. "Well, we saw these other buttons instead that were cheaper than those pins you asked for, and they had Disney characters on them too, so we got those instead so you didn't waste your money on those expensive other pins." I thought Santa was the most inept moron as a kid; he never got anything right when I sent him my Christmas list -- I asked for one thing and got something with a name that sounded somewhat like what I asked for or started with the same letter as...I started to wonder if Santa's elves knew how to read. :confused:

I hate to think what you got from the tooth fairy. :)

Oh well, I'm hoping they will still have the complete set of these pins by the time I get there in early September. I hate to ask my disney sources to go get these after I've asked them to get the earlier ones already.

Zz.

Moonbear said:
I stand on the outside until the buzzer says it has stopped moving. :biggrin:
Is that just to keep the lid from popping open, or is it a variation on your 'sitting on the washing machine' trick?

ZapperZ said:
OK, I hope this is Morgantown, W. Virginia, because I don't know of any other "reputable" university in W. Virginia.
Yes. I don't even know what other "universities" there are in WV. Probably just some small colleges with no research mission. This is just a temporary move while I continue looking for tenure-track positions. But, it'll be good because my sheep are already there, so now I don't have to rely on other people to do parts of my experiments for me when I'm not around to supervise (and things inevitably go wrong). And now I can stand guard to keep Danger and Artman away from the sheep. :tongue2:

:rofl: A quarter for front teeth and 50 cents for molars. Though, the tooth fairy sometimes forgot to take the tooth, but I was assured she knew the difference and I wouldn't get away with leaving it under my pillow a second night to hold out for more money. :biggrin:

ZapperZ said:
or the easter bunny for that matter :uhh:

I mentioned earlier that one of the most sought-after pins are the ones that are released only to the disney cast members. These are the ones that you can only obtain by trade with another cast member. In most cases, they are usually gone pretty quickly, so one always has to be vigilant with a new one comes out. And different resort gives their cast members different pin sets (of course). So Disneyland cast members will get a different set than Disney World cast members.

I tend to check what have already been released to cast members before I make my trip down to Disney World. This way, I know what to look for. I always have in my pocket several "cheap" and common pins to trade with the cast members. If the pin I'm offering them for trade isn't already on their lanyard, they must trade. I keep the "good" ones, such as some special pins or passholder pins for trading with other pin traders.

These two links provide some info on what pins have already been released, or will be released, to Disney World cast members.

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/files/WDW_Collection2.pdf
http://eventservices.disney.go.com/files/WDW_Collection3d.pdf

Needless to say, there are a few that I already own, but there's plenty more that I would love to have.

Zz.

Next weekend will be the last Star Wars weekend at Disney/MGM Studios for this year. The event has been BIG this year, with the release of the last Star Wars movie by George Lucas.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/parks/specialEventsDetail?id=StarWarsWeekendsSpecialEventPage

This event will probably continue each year since it has been a terrific success ever since it started. I have pictures with the Jedi Mickey, one of the sand people, and a wookie. What more can a Star Wars fan want? :)

Zz.

More Disney World tidbits...

When they were creating the Animal Kingdom, they know they wanted it to be different than just a zoo. And they have created something uniquely different. They continue to emphasize this. In fact, if you pay attention as you walk around the park, especially in the Africa section, you might come across an "old" african word written or scribbled at various places:

NAHTAHZU

(get it?)

:)

Zz.

Last edited:
Surprise Goofy Pin

Damn it! There's a surprise Goofy Pin being released today only at Pin Central in Downtown Disney. Limited edition, and only 500 in quantity!

Man, I need help and serious therapy... :)

[I hate disney, I hate disney, I love disney, I love disney...]

Zz.

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
:rolleyes: The first step is admitting you have a problem. The second step is moving to Orlando. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
:rolleyes: The first step is admitting you have a problem. The second step is moving to Orlando. :rofl:

Speaking of moving, I told Evo this, but I forgot to tell you, Moonbie. In your contract for the new job, make sure you tell them that you will need a week off Labor Day week, and a week off after New Year.

<wink> :)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Speaking of moving, I told Evo this, but I forgot to tell you, Moonbie. In your contract for the new job, make sure you tell them that you will need a week off Labor Day week, and a week off after New Year.

<wink> :)

Zz.

Actually, usually both times of the year are good times for me to take off, those fall during the transitions between the anestrous and breeding seasons when we can't do many experiments. Well, sometimes we're crunching in a last set of experiments during January...February is definitely a month we can't do anything. But, I can easily offer to keep everyone's experiments running over Christmas in exchange for them running my experiments the first week in January. I've done that many times in my past too and it seems most people would rather take the week of Christmas off and think I'm so wonderful to sacrifice my holiday to keep the experiments going when it's just the ideal excuse to avoid spending Christmas with nutty relatives. :biggrin:

This year I won't be able to get Labor Day week off...that's the week I start the new job...and even though there's really some flexibility there, it means that's when I'll be moving and unpacking.

ZapperZ said:
Damn it! There's a surprise Goofy Pin being released today only at Pin Central in Downtown Disney. Limited edition, and only 500 in quantity!

OMG! ONLY 500!?-- I mean...who is goofy? :uhh:

OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG...