Zangwill vs. Jackson: Comparing Textbooks for Advanced EM

• Thread starter WannabeNewton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jackson
In summary, Zangwill and Jackson are two popular textbooks for advanced electromagnetic (EM) courses. Both cover fundamental concepts and theories of EM, but Zangwill offers a more mathematical approach while Jackson focuses on physical interpretations. Zangwill also has more in-depth coverage of topics such as waveguides and radiation, while Jackson has a stronger emphasis on applications and real-world examples. Ultimately, the choice between these textbooks may depend on the individual's learning style and the specific needs of the course.
WannabeNewton
Science Advisor
Hi guys. Zangwill's book on advanced EM, https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521896975/?tag=pfamazon01-20, looks to be a masterfully pedagogical and extremely well-written book on the subject. It has tons of non-trivial worked examples and applications in every section of each chapter, is quite thorough with the subject matter, and works through calculations in detail.

But can it actually be used as a substitute for Jackson? The topics covered in Zangwill, while covered thoroughly, do not seem to go beyond the topics usually covered in a typical undergraduate EM class. In my UG EM class we used Marion and Heald and covered almost all of the topics in Zangwill, the exception being we only did waveguides in passing whereas Zangwill goes into them in quite a bit of detail. Jackson on the other hand goes into much more advanced topics than Zangwill does, not the least of which is MHD.

So are the reviews in the amazon page accurate as far as Zangwill being a replacement for Jackson goes or is it a lower-level/less advanced book than Jackson as I suspect? Zangwill claims to be a graduate book but the topics and level of coverage very much hinge on undergraduate at least at face value. Could anyone who has experience with the book offer their opinions? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I only have glanced over this book at a book stand on a conference. I had the impression it's a well-written but despite its promising title old-fashioned textbook. I don't understand, why one needs more of these, because there are already many excellent ones from the old masters like Hertz, Sommerfeld, Abraham/Becker/Sauter etc. Also Jackson is of this kind and still a masterpiece.

What's very rare are books that present classical electromagnetism from a really modern perspective. The only one I know of, is Scheck's vol. 3 of his theory textbook series. Unfortunately it doesn't go far enough concerning applications, which are better covered in the more conventional textbooks. I don't know, what textbook to really recommend. Despite Jackson one should also have a look at Schwinger's book, which is also pretty much in the old-fashioned non-relativistic style but has a lot of wonderful mathematical tricks (e.g., the unconventional treatment of cylindrical Bessel functions is a joy to read).

Likes dextercioby and atyy
Scheck's book indeed kicks a$$. I recommend it.

Likes atyy
Why aren't you reading Jackson and Landau?

I skimmed all the way through chapter 9. The book covers more-or-less the same material as Jackson. Some things I do notice is that some of the things Zangwill covers, Jackson leaves as an exercise. For example, Zangwill discusses Thompson's theorem, but Jackson just says "this is the theorem, prove it". The problems in Zangwill seem to be a mixture of hard undergraduate-type problems and some graduate level problems. Jackson is noticeably more difficult. I'd use this text as a supplement to Jackson.

Thank you for the replies everyone. I should have mentioned that this is not intended for my use. A friend of mine wants to prepare for the first year graduate electrodynamics sequence before actually taking it and wanted me to help find a very solid book to work through meticulously; as a result I was trying to find the most pedagogical book on advanced undergrad/beginning graduate EM. I've already suffered through Jackson myself ;)

I was really trying to avoid Jackson because, while it has very instructive problems, it has no pedagogical bone in its body. I find it impossible to learn from. I just find it to be a very valuable source of problems.

vanhees71 said:
Despite Jackson one should also have a look at Schwinger's book, which is also pretty much in the old-fashioned non-relativistic style but has a lot of wonderful mathematical tricks (e.g., the unconventional treatment of cylindrical Bessel functions is a joy to read).

I looked at Schwinger's book. While it is very mathematically focused, it looks to be a very instructive read. I might just keep it for myself. Thanks!

dextercioby said:
Scheck's book indeed kicks a$$. I recommend it.

I'll have to check it out for my own reading then :)

bolbteppa said:
Why aren't you reading Jackson and Landau?

I apologize for not being clear from the start; I think my comment above should more accurately put things in perspective. I will however say that I would rather lose both my arms than recommend Landau to a person who wants to learn EM.

Mmm_Pasta said:
I skimmed all the way through chapter 9. The book covers more-or-less the same material as Jackson. Some things I do notice is that some of the things Zangwill covers, Jackson leaves as an exercise. For example, Zangwill discusses Thompson's theorem, but Jackson just says "this is the theorem, prove it". The problems in Zangwill seem to be a mixture of hard undergraduate-type problems and some graduate level problems. Jackson is noticeably more difficult. I'd use this text as a supplement to Jackson.

Thank you very much, that definitely helps. I think Jackson as a source of problems and Zangwill for actual reading will prove most useful.

• Haha
Likes atyy
WannabeNewton said:
[...] I will however say that I would rather lose both my arms than recommend Landau to a person who wants to learn EM. [...]

Just elaborate. :)

dextercioby said:
Just elaborate. :)

Probably selfishly keeping it to himself :p

1. What are the main differences between the Zangwill and Jackson textbooks?

The main differences between the Zangwill and Jackson textbooks are their approach to teaching advanced electromagnetic (EM) concepts. Zangwill focuses on a theoretical approach, while Jackson focuses on a more mathematical approach. Zangwill also includes more modern applications of EM, while Jackson focuses on traditional topics.

2. Which textbook is more suitable for advanced EM courses?

It ultimately depends on the instructor's teaching style and the needs of the students. If the course is more theory-based, Zangwill may be a better option. If the course is more mathematically focused, Jackson may be a better fit. It's important to consider the learning objectives and goals of the course when choosing a textbook.

3. Are there any notable similarities between the Zangwill and Jackson textbooks?

Both textbooks cover similar topics such as Maxwell's equations, electromagnetic waves, and field theory. They also both include exercises and problems for students to practice and apply their knowledge. However, the approach and level of detail may differ between the two textbooks.

4. Is one textbook considered more comprehensive than the other?

Both Zangwill and Jackson are considered comprehensive textbooks for advanced EM. However, some may argue that Jackson is more thorough and covers more topics in depth. Zangwill, on the other hand, may be more concise and easier to navigate for students.

5. Can these textbooks be used as a standalone resource for learning advanced EM?

Yes, both Zangwill and Jackson can be used as standalone resources for learning advanced EM. However, it's always beneficial to supplement textbook material with additional resources such as lectures, online tutorials, and practice problems. This can help students gain a more well-rounded understanding of the subject.