Pros and Cons of Canon 600D and Nikon D5200?

• Thread starter tarekatpf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    nikon
In summary, the conversation is about choosing between the Canon 600D and the Nikon D5200 DSLR cameras for video purposes. The speaker has seen great short films made with the Canon 600D but is also intrigued by the Nikon D5200, which has received positive reviews. They prefer the image quality of Nikon but are concerned about the limited lens options compared to Canon. The speaker is advised to look at raw samples of both cameras for a more accurate comparison.
tarekatpf
Can somebody please suggest me which DSLR camera I should buy for video: Canon 600D ( T3i ) or Nikon D5200? I have seen lots of fantastic short films made with Canon 600D ( and Canon 60D which has basically the same sensor ), whereas only very few shot with Nikon D5200, but yet I find so many reviews that say the Nikon D5200 is an extraordinary camera in its price range, and even comparable to Canon's 5D Mark III. I do like Nikon's image quality better, but is there something I'm missing about the 600D? I'm aware that Canon DSLR's have the ability to fit with a huge range of lenses, whereas Nikon is restricted to its own and relatively only a handful of lenses. But if I'm happy with Nikon's lenses, would I still be missing something that could be useful in making videos with a 600D which is not possible with the D5200?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try to put your hands on raw samples shot with both cameras. As much as I love my EOS 7D I was rather disappointed with the video quality (good, but not for 1080p, I suppose you can get the same quality from a decent 720p camera). I am not saying to expect the same kind of problems - just checking raw samples should give the best possible comparison.

What are the main differences between Canon 600D and Nikon D5200?

The main differences between these two cameras are their sensor size, autofocus system, and video capabilities. The Canon 600D has a 18MP APS-C sensor while the Nikon D5200 has a 24MP APS-C sensor, giving the Nikon a slight edge in image resolution. The autofocus system on the Nikon is also more advanced, with 39 autofocus points compared to the Canon's 9. In terms of video, the Nikon D5200 can shoot full HD at 60fps while the Canon 600D can only shoot at 30fps.

Which camera is better for beginners?

Both the Canon 600D and Nikon D5200 are great options for beginners. They have user-friendly interfaces and offer a wide range of manual controls for learning the basics of photography. However, the Nikon D5200 has a more advanced autofocus system and better video capabilities, making it a more versatile choice for beginners who want to experiment with different types of photography.

What are the advantages of the Canon 600D?

The Canon 600D has a slightly larger body and is more lightweight compared to the Nikon D5200. This can be beneficial for those who prefer a smaller and more compact camera. Additionally, the Canon 600D has a longer battery life and offers a wider range of compatible lenses, making it a more versatile option for different photography needs.

What are the advantages of the Nikon D5200?

The Nikon D5200 has a higher resolution sensor, more advanced autofocus system, and better video capabilities compared to the Canon 600D. This makes it a better option for those who prioritize image and video quality. Additionally, the D5200 has a higher dynamic range, meaning it can capture a wider range of tones and details in an image.

Which camera is better for professional use?

Both the Canon 600D and Nikon D5200 have their own strengths and can be used for professional photography. However, the Nikon D5200 may be a better option due to its higher resolution sensor, more advanced autofocus system, and better video capabilities. The ability to shoot in full HD at 60fps and the wider dynamic range make it a more versatile and professional-grade camera.