Log(x) do you assume base 10 or base e?

• Thread starter Matterwave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Base
In summary, the use of "log" without a specified base can vary depending on the context and audience. In mathematics classes up to PreCalculus or pre-college, it is generally assumed to be base 10, while in higher level mathematics and other fields such as economics and computer science, it is often base e. However, for clarity and consistency, it is best to specify the base when using "log" in mathematical equations or problems.
Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So, out of curiosity, when you guys see log(x) do you assume base 10 or base e?

Because I just wasted 2 hours of my life wondering how I got a problem wrong due to the fact that I assumed base e and the problem assumes base 10...:cry:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In my experience the base e usually goes with ln , and other bases go with log.

Likes symbolipoint
WWGD said:
In my experience the base e usually goes with ln , and other bases go with log.

Right, but if you just saw "log(x)" with no subscripts? I think in high school I would have defaulted to base 10 but now I default to base e.

I think google defaults to base 10 while Wolfram defaults to base e. FORTRAN defaults to base e, I'm not sure about other programming languages.

Matterwave said:
I'd consider the context/audience.

Mathematicians, usually log is base e. Engineers and chemists, often base 10.

Matterwave said:

Because I just wasted 2 hours of my life wondering how I got a problem wrong due to the fact that I assumed base e and the problem assumes base 10...:cry:

What was the problem you were working? Choose the base that makes sense for the situation or problem.

symbolipoint said:
What was the problem you were working? Choose the base that makes sense for the situation or problem.

It was a semi-long problem about numerically modeling the metalicity content of a galaxy. The log appeared in just one part of the problem. Astronomers are particularly icky when it comes to conventions. The part of the problem asked me to compute the fractional metalicity in terms of a log function:

$$[Fe/H](t)=12-\log\left(\frac{g_{Fe}(t)/55.845}{g_H(t)/1.008}\right) - 7.52$$

As an aside, notice that the astronomer put a 12 in front and a -7.52 at the end without combining it into a 4.48 because of convention... because the 12 and the -7.52 adjustments are made for 2 different reasons (which I do not know).

I suppose if I had thought about it enough, I might have figured out he meant log base 10, but I assumed log base e without thinking and proceeded to the next step. It took me roughly 2 hours to figure out that's where I went wrong.

Last edited:
It greatly depends on the context. ln(x) should be used instead of log(x) when in base e. But I know that a lot of mathemathicians write log(x) when they should write ln(x).
log(x) without subscript usually means log base 10 (widely used in chemistry for instance).
When I have to do a computation with a log simply written as log(x) an I assume it's in base 10, but I always check the context.

NathanaelNolk said:
It greatly depends on the context. ln(x) should be used instead of log(x) when in base e. But I know that a lot of mathemathicians write log(x) when they should write ln(x).
Why "should be"? One could just as easily say people should write log10 if that's what they mean. :wink:

I always think of the base as e, and I think most mathematicians are. Logarithms in any other base can be cleanly expressed in terms of log with base e as a quotient: log_a(x) = log_e(x)/log_e(a), and as a mathematical function log(x) with base e have the neatest behavior (just like e^x).

I meant with this thread to just ask about first instincts haha. I know one should look at the context, but this problem arose because I had the instinct to treat the log as base e and did not question this instinct...and that led to a large waste of time on my part.

I am a chemist. For me log means base 10, ln means base e.

Not that I am going to argue about this convention being the right one (even if it IS the right one :wink:).

What is the typical practice for that application? What is the typical practice in business or industrial situations? What is the typical practice in academic situations? If you have found that application in your current schooling or academic work, then lesson instruction should make the implication clear for you.

If I'm reading math: ##e##.
If I'm reading economics: ##e##.
If I'm reading CS: ##2##.

olivermsun said:
Why "should be"? One could just as easily say people should write log10 if that's what they mean. :wink:
They also should use log10 in base 10. In my opinion, writing log(x) is okay and understandable, but still wrong.

NathanaelNolk said:
They also should use log10 in base 10. In my opinion, writing log(x) is okay and understandable, but still wrong.
Right because without a base as a subscript you don't know what the base is, whether it is base 2, base e, base 10, base 12, or even something like base 1/2 or base pi.

And if you don't know what the base is than how can you do the logarithm? It would be undefined without a base and even with some bases(like base 1 or any negative base).

Now if you had the radical or exponential equivalent of the logarithm then you could deduce from that what the base of the logarithm is.

As others have suggested, it depends upon the class. Generally speaking, in mathematics classes up to "PreCalculus" (I am tempted to say "pre-college") "log" generally means "log base 10". Past that, log base 10 is almost never used and "log" means natural logarithm.

1. What is the difference between base 10 and base e when using log(x)?

Base 10 refers to the common logarithm, also known as the decimal logarithm, where the base is 10. Base e refers to the natural logarithm, where the base is the mathematical constant e (approximately 2.71828). The main difference between the two is the base used in the logarithmic calculation.

2. Which base should I use when calculating logarithms in science?

This depends on the context and what you are trying to calculate. In many scientific equations, the natural logarithm (base e) is used because it has certain mathematical properties that make it useful. However, if you are working with quantities that are typically measured in powers of 10, such as pH or sound intensity, then base 10 may be more appropriate.

3. Can I convert between base 10 and base e logarithms?

Yes, you can convert between base 10 and base e logarithms using the change of base formula: logb(x) = loga(x) / loga(b), where a is the original base and b is the desired base.

4. How do I know which base was used when log(x) is written without a base?

If the base is not specified, it is safe to assume that the base is 10. However, it is always best to check the context or ask for clarification to ensure accuracy.

5. Are there other bases besides 10 and e that can be used with logarithms?

Yes, there are many other bases that can be used with logarithms, such as 2, 3, or any other positive number. However, base 10 and base e are the most commonly used in mathematics and science.