Separate Ethanol from Water: Hydrogen Bonding

In summary, the conversation revolves around methods of separating ethanol from water, specifically through fractional distillation. The individual is looking for ways to weaken the strong hydrogen bonds between ethanol and water, and suggests using additives such as benzene or potassium metal. They also inquire about increasing the boiling point of water to separate more ethanol through methods such as adding salt or oxidizing the ethanol.
samaank
Hi, i have more of a chemistry than a physics question. I am conducting an experiment to separate ethanol from water via fractional distillation, however through calculations i have found that some of the ethanol remains bonded to the water due to the strong hydrogen bonds. Is there any other way of weakening hydrogen bonds other than just simply heating the solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
samaank said:
Hi, i have more of a chemistry than a physics question. I am conducting an experiment to separate ethanol from water via fractional distillation,..

You can not get ethanol more concentrated than 96% by fractional distillation. "Absolute" ethanol is obtained by distillation, if some amount of benzene is added. (I do not know the details, look after. ) Or you can dry the ethanol by pieces of freshly cut potassium metal.

ehild

hhmmm, ok thanks, this lead me to another question. you can increase the boiling point of water by adding salt to it, is there any other compound that could be added to water to increase the boiling point of water higher than salt does?

my idea is that if you can increase water's boiling point far enough you can increase the water/ethanol solution temperature to say about 92 degrees celsius, which will boil almost all of the ethanol (with a boiling point of 87.3 degrees celsius) and not boil any water with it, because sometimes water boils at less than 100 degrees.

Depends what you're after but if you oxidise the ethonol to ethanal you reduce it's boiling point to 20 odd dergees C. But if you want to keep it as ethanol then the benzene method is the best, but even then it will absorb moisture from the atmosphere until it reaches 96% ethanol.

hey does salt dissovle or react with ethanol ?

1. How does hydrogen bonding impact the separation of ethanol from water?

Hydrogen bonding is a type of intermolecular force that occurs between molecules containing hydrogen atoms bonded to highly electronegative atoms such as oxygen, nitrogen, or fluorine. In the case of ethanol and water, both molecules have hydrogen atoms bonded to oxygen atoms, allowing them to form strong hydrogen bonds with each other. This makes it difficult to separate the two molecules, as hydrogen bonds must be broken in order for the molecules to separate.

2. What methods can be used to separate ethanol from water?

There are several methods that can be used to separate ethanol from water, including distillation, fractional distillation, and azeotropic distillation. These methods take advantage of the differences in boiling points and azeotropic behavior of ethanol and water to separate them.

3. Why is it important to separate ethanol from water?

Ethanol and water are commonly mixed in various industrial and scientific processes, and it is important to be able to separate them in order to obtain pure ethanol for use in fuel, pharmaceuticals, and other applications. Additionally, separating ethanol from water is crucial in the production of alcoholic beverages.

4. Can hydrogen bonding be completely eliminated to separate ethanol from water?

No, hydrogen bonding cannot be completely eliminated between ethanol and water molecules. However, it can be weakened by adding a third component, such as a salt or an organic solvent, which can disrupt the hydrogen bonds and make it easier to separate the two substances.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using hydrogen bonding to separate ethanol from water?

While hydrogen bonding is a strong and effective force in separating ethanol from water, it can also make the process more energy-intensive and time-consuming. Additionally, if the two substances are in azeotropic proportions, it may be difficult to completely separate them using hydrogen bonding alone.