Help Solve Breathing Homework Problem | Jet Nebulizer

• Thread starter celtchic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding a nebulizer, which is a common means of delivering medication to the lungs. The question asks for the minimum flow of air needed to bring the medicine into the air stream, given the dimensions of the nebulizer and the density of the medicine. The person asking the question mentions two equations that could potentially be used to solve the problem. They also express gratitude for any help or suggestions.
celtchic
I really want to thank everyone for the help you've given me. I have another question that I need help with. Here goes:

I do not know how to work this problem…can anyone help?

A common means of delivering medication to the lungs is a “Jet Nebulizer”. A simplified diagram of a nebulizer is shown here – medicine is placed in a cup, air is passed through a “venturi tube”, and the resulting pressure difference drives fluid-borne medicine from the cup into the air stream where it is dispersed into a vapor to be inhaled into the lungs. (Incidentally, this same principle is behind the operation of a carburetor in a gasoline engine.)

(1) A patient needs medicine that has a density of 1.25% that of water. The dimensions of the nebulizer (see below) are height medicine cup = 6 cm diameter venturi tube= 1 cm

What minimum flow of air (RVol) must pass through the venturi tube in order to bring the medicine into the air stream, even if the cup is nearly empty? Give your answer in cm3/sec.

A: I know that I will use either of these two eqations but I really do not how to solve these equations in either one…..

A1V1=A2V2=Rvol

P1 + pgy1 + ½rv12= P2 + pgy2 + ½pv22

Thanks for the help in adavance!

Physics news on Phys.org
did you figure this one out? I have a simular proplem and I was wondering how you worked this out? Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks

First of all, I'm glad to hear that you received helpful responses for your previous question. Now, let's tackle this new problem together.

To solve this problem, we will use the Bernoulli's equation, which is the second equation you mentioned. It states that the total energy of a fluid remains constant along a streamline. In simpler terms, it means that the sum of the pressure, potential energy, and kinetic energy at one point in the fluid must be equal to the sum of those three at any other point in the fluid.

In this case, we will use the Bernoulli's equation to find the velocity of the air passing through the venturi tube. We know that the pressure at the top of the cup (P1) is equal to the atmospheric pressure, and the pressure at the venturi tube (P2) is equal to the atmospheric pressure plus the pressure difference caused by the air flow through the tube. We also know that the potential energy (pgy) is the same at both points since they are at the same height. Therefore, we can ignore those terms in the equation.

Now, to find the kinetic energy (1/2rv^2), we need to know the density of air (r) and the velocity (v). The density of air is approximately 1.225 kg/m^3, and we can find the velocity by rearranging the first equation you mentioned:

A1V1 = A2V2

V2 = (A1/A2) x V1

Since we are given the dimensions of the nebulizer, we can calculate the areas A1 and A2. The area of the medicine cup is equal to the area of a circle with a diameter of 1 cm, which is 0.785 cm^2. The area of the venturi tube is equal to the area of a circle with a diameter of 6 cm, which is 28.3 cm^2.

Now, we can plug in the values into our equation:

V2 = (28.3/0.785) x V1 = 36.06 x V1

Next, we can plug in the values into the Bernoulli's equation:

P1 + ½rv1^2 = P2 + ½rv2^2

0.5 x 1.225 x V1^2 = 0.5 x 1.

1. How does a jet nebulizer work?

A jet nebulizer is a medical device that converts liquid medication into a fine mist that can be inhaled directly into the lungs. The device has a compressor that forces compressed air through a small opening, creating a powerful stream of air. This air is then directed through a liquid medication, breaking it into tiny droplets that can be easily inhaled.

2. What is the purpose of using a jet nebulizer?

A jet nebulizer is used to deliver medication directly to the lungs, making it an effective treatment for respiratory conditions such as asthma, bronchitis, and COPD. The fine mist produced by the nebulizer allows the medication to reach deep into the lungs, providing fast relief and improving breathing.

3. How do I use a jet nebulizer?

To use a jet nebulizer, first make sure all components are clean and assembled correctly. Then, pour the prescribed amount of medication into the nebulizer cup. Attach the cup to the compressor and connect the tubing to the cup and the compressor. Place the mouthpiece in your mouth and turn on the compressor to start the nebulization process. Breathe in and out calmly until all the medication is gone.

4. What are the benefits of using a jet nebulizer over other inhalation methods?

Jet nebulizers are often preferred over other inhalation methods because they are easy to use, require no coordination or effort from the patient, and can deliver a larger dose of medication directly to the lungs. They are also suitable for people of all ages, including young children and older adults.

5. How often should I clean my jet nebulizer?

It is essential to clean your jet nebulizer after each use to prevent bacteria and mold growth. Disassemble the nebulizer and wash all parts with warm water and mild soap. Rinse thoroughly and let air dry before storing. It is also recommended to disinfect the nebulizer once a week by boiling the parts for 5 minutes or using a disinfectant solution.