What dimensions give a volume of 12 cm cubed for a given cubic equation?

• Thread starter thomasrules
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimensions
In summary, the dimensions of the box that would give a volume of 12 cm cubed are (x-1) cm, (x-2) cm, and (x-4) cm, where x=5.
thomasrules
A box has dimensions that are linear factors of (x^3-7x^2+14x-8) cubic centimetres. What dimensions give a volume of 12 cm cubed?

I started it off by moving 12 to the left side giving the equation:

x^3-7x^2+14x-20=0

then from then I don't know...If I substitute 5, the equation is satisfied and is a factor but from there it doesn't work. Plus 5 won't really make it 12 so...i'm lost

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, so [tex] (x-5) [/tex] is a factor of your cubic. Now factorise it, and see what the other factors are.

Edit: No wait - checked the other factors, are you sure your equations are correct?

Last edited:
Well, remember that the dimensions are the factors of [itex]x^3 - 7x^2 + 14x - 8[/itex], not of [itex]x^3 - 7x^2 +14x - 20[/itex].

You need to solve [itex]x^3 - 7x^2 +14x -20 = 0[/itex] and plug the solution for [itex]x[/itex] back into the factors of [itex]x^3 - 7x^2 +14x - 8[/itex] to get the dimensions.

By the way, these are very odd questions you're being given!

Ahh! Didnt notice he had changed his cubics between lines - that should sort out the problem :)

dont know what u mean by find x because when I plug in 5 into the 2nd equation with the -20, I get = 0

From there I can't factor any further
And you say plug back into the first one? what will that do? It will only give me =12

thomasrules said:
dont know what u mean by find x because when I plug in 5 into the 2nd equation with the -20, I get = 0

Good! So you've found one solution, x=5. That means x-5 is a factor of the cubic. Just use long division to reduce it to a quadratic and find the other roots (I'm not promising there will be any other real roots!).

Then all you have to do is to factor [itex]x^3-7x^2+14x-8[/itex] and plug x=5 into each of the factors to find the dimensions.

I did that but I used short division and got:

[tex](x-5)(x^2-2x+4)=x^3-7x^2+14x-20[/tex]

I can't get [tex]x^2-2x+4[/tex] to equal 0

and you can't factor the first equation with synthetic division

use [itex] x^2 - 2x + 4 = (x^2 - 2x + 1) -1 +4 = (x-1)^2 + 3 [/itex].

but that doesn't do me any good hargoth

Whoops, I didn't remember you were looking for real solutions.
I don't see why you set [itex] x^3-7x^2+14x-8=12 [/itex], since it isn't said that this polynomial is the volume. I'd suggest factorising [itex] (x^3-7x^2+14x-8) [/itex] instead, and reading off the dimensions of the box from the factorization. I think that is what is asked for. :smile:
edit: Nope that doesn't make sense either. You were of course correct.

Last edited:
He needs to factorise [itex]x^3-7x^2+14x-8[/itex] and solve [itex]x^3-7x^2+14x-8=12[/itex] (see my previous posts).

You can just use the quadratic formula on [itex]x^2-2x+4=0[/itex] (it doesn't have any real roots though).

All the roots of [itex]x^3-7x^2+14x-8[/itex] are small integers, so it should be easy for you to factor :smile:.

I don't think so, because, if the dimensions are linear factors of (x^3-7x^2+14x-8), say, (x-a), (x-b), (x-c), so the Volume is (x-a)(x-b)(x-c), but this is equal to the first polynomial, so setting
[itex](x-a)(x-b)(x-c) = x^3-7x^2+14x-8=12[/itex] was in my eyes the right thing to do.
edit: And if this equations yield a complex solution, it doesn't help that the other linear factors are real - because the dimensions of the box you get by subtracting some real number from a complex one keep their imaginary part. This problem beats me ... :confused:

Last edited:
yes, it is. You can use that equation to solve for [itex]x[/itex], and then the box has dimensions [itex](x-a) \times (x-b) \times (x-c)[/itex]. So you need to solve [itex]x^3-7x^2+14x-8=12[/itex] as well as factorise [itex]x^3-7x^2+14x-8[/itex], as I said.

But this doesn't help in my eyes, see my edit.

but w/e i can't even factorise that though the last part

You have to find the real solution(s) of [itex]x^3-7x^2+14x-8=12[/itex], yes, because otherwise you'll have a box with complex side lengths (in this case, there's only one real solution).

The roots of [itex]x^3-7x^2+14x-8[/itex] (ie. the a, b, c s.t. [itex](x-a)(x-b)(x-c) = x^3-7x^2+14x-8[/itex]) are all real, so everything's fine.

Last edited:
Okay, data is right. You can insert your solution x=5 into the factorization of the polynomial you are told to do in the assignment to get the dimensions of the box. Sorry for causing confusion ...

don't worry thanks for the help anyway, any input is good

5 is the only real solution to x3- 7x2+ 14x- 8= 12.
You also need to know that x3- 7x2+ 14x- 8 factors as (x- 1)(x- 2)(x- 4). Put x= 5 into each of those factors to get the dimensions of the box.

1. What does finding the dimensions mean?

Finding the dimensions refers to determining the size, extent, or measurements of an object or space in a particular direction. This can involve measuring length, width, height, or other physical attributes.

2. Why is finding the dimensions important in science?

In science, finding the dimensions is important because it allows us to accurately describe and quantify the physical world. It also helps us to understand relationships between different objects and how they interact with each other.

3. How do scientists find dimensions?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to find dimensions, depending on the specific object or space being measured. This can include using rulers, measuring tapes, calipers, lasers, or even mathematical calculations.

4. What is the difference between 2D and 3D dimensions?

2D dimensions refer to measurements in two directions, typically length and width. This can be represented on a flat surface, such as a piece of paper. 3D dimensions, on the other hand, refer to measurements in three directions, typically length, width, and height. This can be represented in a three-dimensional space, such as a cube or sphere.

5. Can dimensions change over time?

Yes, dimensions can change over time due to various factors such as growth, decay, or movement. For example, the dimensions of a plant may change as it grows, or the dimensions of a river may change as it erodes its banks. This is why it is important for scientists to continually measure and monitor dimensions in their research.