Astronomy binoculars like the Celestron Skymaster 20x80?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter mistergrinch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Astronomy
In summary, large binoculars like the Celestron Skymaster 20x80 may not be suitable for casual use or camping due to their size and the need for a tripod. For portable and budget-friendly options, 7x50 binoculars from reputable companies like Nikon or Celestron are recommended. 10x50 binoculars may also be a good choice, but it is important to consider the brand and quality before purchasing.
mistergrinch
What do people think of astronomy binoculars like the Celestron Skymaster 20x80? Are these too big for casual use, for example to take camping? I'm going to Arizona soon and I'm looking for something portable that gives me the most bang for my buck. Should I just get some smaller binoculars? Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org

mistergrinch said:
What do people think of astronomy binoculars like the Celestron Skymaster 20x80? Are these too big for casual use, for example to take camping? I'm going to Arizona soon and I'm looking for something portable that gives me the most bang for my buck. Should I just get some smaller binoculars? Thanks.
Large binoculars - especially with magnifications above 10x - can be very cumbersome and difficult to use unless you have a decent tripod for them. That's another piece of gear to pack and lug around.

For camping, casual viewing, and general hand-held astronomy, it's pretty hard to beat 7x50s. My advice is to get a pair of basic 7x50s made by a company that markets high-end gear. You don't get the bells and whistles, but generally, the quality optics, coatings, etc, filter down into the lower-priced models. I have a pair of very basic Nikons, and they are always with me when I'm observing.

What about 10x50's vs 7x50's? Are there any other brands besides Nikon that you recommend for a reasonable price? Thanks.

I bought a pair of Celestron 10x50s to keep in my vehicle. They were very inexpensive, with better quality than I had expected. I don't want to leave my Nikons in an unattended vehicle, but the Celestrons are fine for that.

Astronomy binoculars, such as the Celestron Skymaster 20x80, are a popular choice among amateur astronomers and stargazers. They offer a wide field of view and high magnification, making them ideal for observing celestial objects such as clusters, nebulae, and planets.

As for the size, 20x80 binoculars may be considered too large for casual use and camping. They are heavier and bulkier than smaller binoculars, which may make them less convenient to carry around. However, the trade-off is that they provide a better viewing experience due to their larger aperture and magnification.

If you are looking for something portable and budget-friendly, smaller binoculars may be a better option. They are easier to carry and can still provide decent views of the night sky. However, they may not be as powerful as the 20x80 binoculars.

Ultimately, the choice between the two depends on your personal preferences and needs. If you prioritize portability and budget, smaller binoculars may be the way to go. But if you want the best possible viewing experience and don't mind the extra weight and size, the Celestron Skymaster 20x80 could be a great investment. Happy stargazing in Arizona!

1. What makes the Celestron Skymaster 20x80 astronomy binoculars stand out?

The Celestron Skymaster 20x80 binoculars are known for their high magnification power and large objective lens, making them ideal for stargazing and astronomical observations. They also have fully multi-coated lenses and a durable construction, providing sharp and clear images even in low-light conditions.

2. Are the Celestron Skymaster 20x80 binoculars suitable for beginners?

These binoculars are a great choice for beginners who are interested in astronomy. They offer a wide field of view and a relatively easy-to-use design, making them a user-friendly option for those new to stargazing.

3. Can the Celestron Skymaster 20x80 binoculars be used for daytime viewing?

While these binoculars are primarily designed for astronomical observations, they can also be used for daytime viewing. However, the high magnification power may make it difficult to keep the image steady for extended periods of time.

4. How do I properly care for and maintain my Celestron Skymaster 20x80 binoculars?

To ensure the longevity and optimal performance of your binoculars, it is important to keep them clean and dry. Use a soft cloth to wipe the lenses and avoid touching them with your fingers. Also, store them in a cool and dry place when not in use to prevent any damage.

5. Are there any accessories that can enhance my experience with the Celestron Skymaster 20x80 binoculars?

Yes, there are several accessories that can enhance your stargazing experience with these binoculars. Some popular options include a tripod for stability, a smartphone adapter for capturing images, and a red light flashlight for preserving night vision while using the binoculars.