Radiation pressure and unpolarized light

In summary: This is why the radiation pressure does not disappear even though the average of each field component is zero. In summary, when considering a scenario of many linearly polarized plane waves with equal amplitudes traveling along the z direction with uniformly distributed polarizations in the xy plane, the amplitude of the total electric and magnetic fields is zero due to the superposition principle. However, the net intensity, energy, and linear momentum carried by the waves are not zero. When these waves strike a surface lying in the xy plane, the surface gains momentum due to the conservation of linear momentum. This can be seen in the example of radiation pressure, where the direction of the radiation remains the same even though the average of each field component is zero, due to
housemartin
Hello,

I found myself a little bit lost in those concepts. Assume there are many linearly polarized plane waves, all with equal amplitudes, all traveling along z direction, and their polarizations are uniformly distributed in xy plane. Then by superposition principle amplitude of total electric and magnetic fields is zero - there are as many waves polarized in one direction as there are polarized in the opposite direction. But the net intensity and energy is not zero, right? Since intensity and energy are proportional to the square of the amplitude. And so linear momentum carried by the waves is also not zero. If all those waves strikes some surface lying in the xy plane and are absorbed in it or are reflected by it, by the conservation of linear momentum it seems that the surface must gain some momentum.
If I took this picture of radiation pressure:
when struck by plane wave, an electron in the surface moves in the direction opposite to that of electric field of the wave, then there is a magnetic force (v cross B) along the z direction.
I end up confused, because when the surface is hit by an unpolarized light, electric field is zero, so the electron does not move and there is no force on the surface, and no radiation pressure.
I hope I've made my problem clear and thanks in advance for any comment.

Science news on Phys.org
housemartin said:
Hello,

I found myself a little bit lost in those concepts. Assume there are many linearly polarized plane waves, all with equal amplitudes, all traveling along z direction, and their polarizations are uniformly distributed in xy plane. Then by superposition principle amplitude of total electric and magnetic fields is zero - there are as many waves polarized in one direction as there are polarized in the opposite direction. But the net intensity and energy is not zero, right? Since intensity and energy are proportional to the square of the amplitude. And so linear momentum carried by the waves is also not zero. If all those waves strikes some surface lying in the xy plane and are absorbed in it or are reflected by it, by the conservation of linear momentum it seems that the surface must gain some momentum.
If I took this picture of radiation pressure:
when struck by plane wave, an electron in the surface moves in the direction opposite to that of electric field of the wave, then there is a magnetic force (v cross B) along the z direction.
I end up confused, because when the surface is hit by an unpolarized light, electric field is zero, so the electron does not move and there is no force on the surface, and no radiation pressure.
I hope I've made my problem clear and thanks in advance for any comment.
The instantaneous electric field is not zero. The instantaneous magnetic field is not zero. The directions of electric field and magnetic field are changing randomly in time. However, the directions of the electric and magnetic fields are always correlated. Therefore, the direction of the radiation field doesn't change as much.

The fields in unpolarized light are rapidly changing direction all the time. They change on a very short time scale is difficult to measure. However, the fields have a nonzero magnitude most of the time. The fields point in one direction on the time scale much less than the coherence time.

The radiation pressure is also always changing all the time. The radiation pressure is also effectively constant only over a time scale much less than the coherence time. However, the radiation pressure is weighted in one direction. The radiation pressure may be positive in a certain direction for most of the time and negative very seldom.

The average of each field component over a long length of time is zero. However, the radiation pressure is determined by the product of electric and magnetic fields. If both fields reverse sign simultaneously, the sign of the radiation pressure would remain unchanged.

That is the situation. The electric field and magnetic fields are changing in a way that is effectively random over long periods of time. However, there is a correlation. The direction of the electric field and the magnetic field change simultaneously most of the time. In other words, the signs of the field switch simultaneously.The direction of the radiation stays the same because the changes in electric and magnetic field cancel out. When the signs switch simultaneously, the sign of the radiation pressure remains the same.

What is radiation pressure?

Radiation pressure is the physical force exerted by electromagnetic radiation on a surface. It is caused by the transfer of momentum from photons to the surface material.

How is radiation pressure related to unpolarized light?

Unpolarized light consists of electromagnetic waves with random orientations. When this light interacts with a surface, the transfer of momentum is also random, resulting in an overall pressure that is equal in all directions.

What factors affect the amount of radiation pressure exerted?

The amount of radiation pressure depends on the intensity of the light, the surface area of the object, and the reflective properties of the surface material. Higher intensity, larger surface area, and more reflective surfaces result in greater radiation pressure.

What are some practical applications of radiation pressure?

Radiation pressure has various applications, such as in solar sails, where it can be used to propel spacecraft using the pressure exerted by sunlight. It is also used in optical tweezers, which use focused laser beams to manipulate small particles, and in laser cooling, where radiation pressure is used to slow down and cool atoms.

Can radiation pressure be harmful?

In general, the radiation pressure exerted by natural sources of light, such as the sun, is not harmful. However, intense sources of radiation, such as lasers, can exert significant pressure and may cause damage to sensitive materials. It is important to use caution and proper protective measures when working with high-intensity light sources.