CMB vs Neutrino BG: Why Does Neutrino Transparency Occur First?

• Thread starter Chaos' lil bro Order
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cmb Neutrino
In summary, CMB (cosmic microwave background) and neutrino background radiation are two forms of radiation that hold important clues about the early universe. While the CMB is a remnant of the hot and dense state of the universe shortly after the Big Bang, the neutrino background radiation is a relic of the era when the universe was cool enough for neutrinos to decouple from other particles. The reason for neutrino transparency occurring before the CMB is due to the fact that neutrinos interact very weakly with matter, allowing them to escape and travel freely through space before the universe became transparent to all forms of radiation. This phenomenon provides insight into the evolution of the universe and the role of neutrinos in its early stages.
Chaos' lil bro Order
Hey,

Was reading how the CMB is ~2.75 Kelvin, while the Neutrino BG is ~2 Kelvin. Clearly this means that neutrino transparency occurred before photon transparency did in the early evolution of the universe. My question is why? Does is have anything to do with neutron-to-proton decay?

I'm guessing (probably incorrectly) that after neutrons and protons cooled sufficiently to bind in nuclei, the neutron was now stable and therefore stopped decaying into protons (as free neutrons do) + electrons + electron antineutrinos. And it was these antineutrinos that ceased to be produced, which gave normal neutrinos free reign in the universe without fear of being annihilated by their antineutrino counterparts. So then neutrino transparency was achieved and the neutrinos were free to redshift to today's cool 2 degrees Kelvin? I wonder if this makes sense.

Help appreciated, thanks.

Space news on Phys.org
Chaos' lil bro Order said:
Was reading how the CMB is ~2.75 Kelvin, while the Neutrino BG is ~2 Kelvin. Clearly this means that neutrino transparency occurred before photon transparency did in the early evolution of the universe.

Are you sure you understand this? The argument deals with conservation of entropy and counting particles in thermal equilibrium.

My question is why?

The answer to this question actually is simple. Neutrinos, lacking electric charge, can only interact through the weak force (and, presumably, gravity), so their low-energy interaction cross sections are generally much smaller than those for electrons and photons.

SpaceTiger said:
Are you sure you understand this? The argument deals with conservation of entropy and counting particles in thermal equilibrium.

The answer to this question actually is simple. Neutrinos, lacking electric charge, can only interact through the weak force (and, presumably, gravity), so their low-energy interaction cross sections are generally much smaller than those for electrons and photons.

Why are you picking on my first comment. Speak to this comment, 'I'm guessing (probably incorrectly) that after neutrons and protons cooled sufficiently to bind in nuclei, the neutron was now stable and therefore stopped decaying into protons (as free neutrons do) + electrons + electron antineutrinos. And it was these antineutrinos that ceased to be produced, which gave normal neutrinos free reign in the universe without fear of being annihilated by their antineutrino counterparts. So then neutrino transparency was achieved and the neutrinos were free to redshift to today's cool 2 degrees Kelvin? I wonder if this makes sense.
'

Does that make sense or no?

So why did neutrino transparency occur before photon transparency then?

You can find a decent explanation http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/astro/neutemp.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:
St

Ya, I've read that. I really love that website, I've known about it some time now and its great at explaining physics in a semi-lay manner.

Chaos' lil bro Order said:
Ya, I've read that. I really love that website, I've known about it some time now and its great at explaining physics in a semi-lay manner.

hey Order, if you know the Georgia State site and you know that explanation of the factor of 1.401, then maybe what your question is you simply want to TALK ABOUT IT with someone. this is a standard non-hierarchical self-teaching approach where you just get somebody and go over it with them

neither person is actually the "teacher" per se, in that case

So go ahead and tell me about it:smile: I will listen gladly.

I really like that webpage and that simple idea of a jump in temp by the 1.4 factor (if there are any people who like to quibble about correctness of language, they might quibble with my saying "jump" so I better watch out.)

Instead of a jump it is more that the DECLINE IN TEMP that you expect with expansion is effectively DELAYED some by the e+ and e- recombination event---so that what results is that after that event all the temperatures are a factor of 1.4 HIGHER than you would have expected or that would have been the case absent that recomb event

so after that recomb ALL THE TEMPS ARE JACKED UP BY THAT FACTOR compared with the OLD formula relating expansion temp.OK you can probably say it better, or correct some mistake I've made, or say something else to fill in the picture. So try.

And neutrinos date from BEFORE that event, so their temp goes down a different curve-----as the space expands

While photons date from AFTER that event, so their temp goes down a jacked up temperature curve

step by step the same, except for being hotter by a 1.401 factor, and everybody getting colder and colder until photons are 2.7 and neutrinos are whatever they are (less by a 1.401 factor)

My copy of the first 3 minutes is gathering dust upstairs, but it is a great book it seems----probably is, a lot of people think so---and that webpage appears to be a snack of Weinberg

======================

now the entropy question. do you, the lil bro of Chaos, want to explain that part? it would seem appropriate considering the dichotomy of your name:smile:

WHY does the temp have to be higher AFTER the recomb event (when there are effectively fewer particles)?

Is this the kind of discussion you wanted to have? If so, please do some paraphrasing work yourself. (if not just ignore. 's cool)

================
Georgia State
http://www.phy-astr.gsu.edu/new_web/newmain.html

Hyperphsics about the neutrino transparency temp
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/astro/neutemp.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is CMB and Neutrino BG?

CMB (Cosmic Microwave Background) refers to the residual radiation left over from the Big Bang, which is the oldest light in the universe. Neutrino BG (Background) refers to the background radiation of neutrinos, which are subatomic particles with very low mass and no electric charge.

2. Why is neutrino transparency occurring first?

Neutrino transparency occurs first because neutrinos interact very weakly with matter, making them able to travel through the early universe without being scattered. This allows them to escape the dense, hot plasma that existed in the early universe and allows us to observe the CMB radiation.

3. How does neutrino transparency affect the CMB?

Neutrino transparency affects the CMB by allowing us to observe the CMB radiation. Without neutrino transparency, the CMB radiation would have been absorbed by the dense plasma and we would not be able to observe it.

4. What is the significance of CMB vs Neutrino BG?

The significance of CMB vs Neutrino BG lies in the fact that it provides evidence for the Big Bang theory. The CMB radiation and neutrino BG are both remnants of the early universe and their observations help us understand the origin and evolution of the universe.

5. How do scientists study the CMB and Neutrino BG?

Scientists study the CMB and Neutrino BG through various telescopes and detectors, such as the Planck satellite and the South Pole Telescope. These instruments measure the intensity and polarization of the CMB and neutrino BG, providing valuable data for scientists to analyze and understand the early universe.