Revs per min from metres per second

• Thread starter Taryn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Per
In summary, the conversation includes a problem involving a centrifuge and a sample of blood, with a question about the revolutions per second the centrifuge should be operated at. The solution involves using Newton's second law and resolving it radially, with the final answer being 140.3 rev/sec. The conversation also includes a correction about the difference between angular and centripetal acceleration.
Taryn
okay so here is the problem and here is wat I did!
I am just tryin to study up for exams now... and this is one of the problems!

A sample of blood is placed in a centrifuge of radius 17.5 cm. The mass of a red corpuscle is 3.00×10-16 kg, and the magnitude of the force required to make it settle out of the plasma is 4.08×10-11 N. At how many revolutions per second should the centrifuge be operated?

Basically wat I did is found the velocity in metres per second first which I find is 154m/s which I found by usin F=(mv^2)/r
But here is the simple problem that I am confused about... how do I change this to revs/sec. Is it somethin to do with C=2PIr, that's all I can think of!
Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Taryn said:
Basically wat I did is found the velocity in metres per second first which I find is 154m/s which I found by usin F=(mv^2)/r
But here is the simple problem that I am confused about... how do I change this to revs/sec. Is it somethin to do with C=2PIr, that's all I can think of!
Thanks for your help!

You could do it that way, however it is easier to remember that if we resolve Newton's second law radially we achieve;

[tex]F = m\alpha[/tex]

Where alpha is centripetal acceleration and [itex]\alpha = r\omega^2[/itex] where omega is angular velocity (rads/s). Thus;

[tex]\fbox{F = mr\omega^2}[/tex]

You method is completely valid, but is a bit long winded :biggrin:. You can convert radians per second into revolutions per second by dividing by [itex]2\pi[/itex].

Last edited:
okay I did that and now I am so far off... I did 123686.127rev/sec.
so wat I did was w^2=f/mr
but then I got that in rads per second =7.77E5 which is bigger then I expected.
So I then divided by 2*PI... then it was wrong... the answer is meant to be 140.3

Taryn said:
okay I did that and now I am so far off... I did 123686.127rev/sec.
so wat I did was w^2=f/mr
but then I got that in rads per second =7.77E5 which is bigger then I expected.
So I then divided by 2*PI... then it was wrong... the answer is meant to be 140.3

You forgot to square root the 7.77x105. If you square root that value then divide by [itex]2\pi[/itex] you sould obtain the correct answer.

thanks a lot I appreciate it, I thought I did sqaure root the answer but now I got the right answer.! ;P

Taryn said:
thanks a lot I appreciate it, I thought I did sqaure root the answer but now I got the right answer.! ;P

No problem :smile:

Hootenanny said:
You could do it that way, however it is easier to remember that if we resolve Newton's second law radially we achieve;

[tex]F = m\alpha[/tex]

Where alpha is angular acceleration and [itex]\alpha = r\omega^2[/itex] where omega is angular velocity (rads/s). Thus;

[tex]\fbox{F = mr\omega^2}[/tex]
I am sure you meant to say that the quantity [itex]r\omega^2 = v^2/r[/itex] is the centripetal acceleration not angular acceleration.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
I am sure you meant to say that the quantity [itex]r\omega^2 = v^2/r[/itex] is the centripetal acceleration not angular acceleration.

AM

Thank-you andrew, duly corrected.

1. What is the relationship between revolutions per minute and metres per second?

The relationship between revolutions per minute (RPM) and metres per second (m/s) is based on the conversion factor of 60 seconds in a minute. One revolution is equal to the circumference of a circle, which is 2πr (where r is the radius of the circle). Therefore, the formula for converting RPM to m/s is: m/s = (RPM x 2πr) / 60.

2. How do I convert RPM to m/s?

To convert RPM to m/s, you can use the formula: m/s = (RPM x 2πr) / 60. First, determine the radius of the circle (r) in meters. Then, multiply the RPM by 2π and divide by 60. The result will be the speed in metres per second.

3. What is the standard unit for measuring rotational speed?

The standard unit for measuring rotational speed is revolutions per minute (RPM). However, in scientific and engineering applications, radians per second (rad/s) is also commonly used. They can be converted to each other using the conversion factor of 2π radians in one revolution.

4. How does rotational speed affect the performance of a machine?

The rotational speed of a machine, measured in RPM or rad/s, can greatly affect its performance. In general, a higher rotational speed means the machine can operate at a faster rate, but it may also generate more heat and require more energy. The optimal rotational speed for a machine depends on its design, purpose, and other factors.

5. Can I convert m/s to RPM?

Yes, you can convert metres per second (m/s) to revolutions per minute (RPM) by using the formula: RPM = (m/s x 60) / (2πr). First, determine the radius of the circle (r) in meters. Then, multiply the m/s by 60 and divide by 2π. The result will be the speed in RPM.