Solving the Force Due to Pipe Bend Problem: Conservation of Momentum Approach

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving finding the horizontal component of force in a flanged joint and determining if it is in tension or compression. The person is struggling with a Conservation of Momentum problem and is trying to figure out what they are doing wrong. They mention using the momentum flux equation and discuss possible solutions, including considering the pressure as gage or using the resultant vector for V2. Eventually, they are able to figure out the problem on their own.
rjenkins
I have question that I'm sure has been asked before. Maybe if you could point me to a thread that'd be great.

The water flows steady discharging to atmosphere. I need to find the horizontal componant of force in the flanged joint & find if it's in tension or compression.

I think I have a Conservation of Momentum problem that I can't figure what I'm doing wrong. I have attached the problem. I figured that due to uniform, steady flow Q=constant so that V1A1=V2A2. So with that I plugged into the momentum flux equation.

=density of water((v2^2)(A2)(cos30)-(V1^2)(A1))+(Pressure)(A2)

If it discharges to atmosphere then I thought maybe it's Pressure(gage)(A1) instead of A2? I think I'm all over the place with this one.

Thanks for any assistance clearing the fog

Attachments

• Pipe Bend.doc
    55.5 KB · Views: 380
Engineering news on Phys.org
Please post the exact, complete text of the question, as given to you.

Sorry, reattached.

Attachments

• Pipe Bend.doc
    55.5 KB · Views: 610
Never mind I figured it out. Thanks anyway. I was using for my V2 the resultant vector for both V's. One is the magnitude in the dot product the other V is the vector found by the Vcos(30).

1. What is the force due to pipe bend?

The force due to pipe bend refers to the amount of pressure or force exerted on a pipe when it is bent or curved. This force is caused by the change in direction of the fluid or material flowing through the pipe.

2. How is the force due to pipe bend calculated?

The force due to pipe bend is calculated using the formula F = 0.5 x ρ x v^2 x A x sinθ, where ρ is the density of the fluid, v is the velocity of the fluid, A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe, and θ is the angle of the bend.

3. What factors affect the force due to pipe bend?

The force due to pipe bend is affected by various factors such as the velocity of the fluid, the density of the fluid, the angle of the bend, and the size and shape of the pipe. Other factors that may influence the force include the material of the pipe and any external forces acting on it.

4. How does the force due to pipe bend impact the pipe?

The force due to pipe bend can cause stress and strain on the pipe, which can lead to structural damage or failure if it exceeds the pipe's strength. This force can also affect the flow of the fluid and may cause turbulence, pressure drops, or increased energy consumption.

5. How can the force due to pipe bend be reduced?

The force due to pipe bend can be reduced by using larger and smoother bends, increasing the radius of the bend, and using materials with higher strength and flexibility. Proper installation and support of the pipe can also help to minimize the force and its impact on the pipe.