How Can I Design a Successful Egg Drop Project Using Only Paper and Tape?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics lab project due the next day where participants must create an apparatus using only paper and masking tape to hold an egg that will be dropped off bleachers without breaking. The participants ask for ideas and suggestions, with one suggesting making a cube out of paper and taping the egg inside. Another participant suggests using a long-sleeved top and cardboard to conceal the egg and make it appear as if it was successfully held by the paper and tape apparatus.
Deadman64
I this lab project due tomorrow in physics. I was wondering if anyone has done this lab:
I have to construct an apparatus out of only paper and masking tape that holds an egg, and then it will be dropped off the bleachers. I need to make it so the egg doesn't break].
Does anyone have any ideas for me? Or does anyone know how or what I should use at the actual egg.
So far I have a triangular prism and I was going to put the egg in the middle, but I don't know if I should just make a little cup out of paper, or how to hold the egg. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If i were you, id make a cube out of paper and tape the egg on the inside so that its stationnary in the center of the cube

Materials:
Two eggs
Long sleeved top
Cardboard

Construct a device with two compartments. One containing the egg that will eventually break, the other empty and deep enough for you to reach into without having your wrists showing. With your wrist well concealed, slide the egg you have hidden up your sleeve into your palm and lift it truimphantly out of your device. Flash your winning smile and acknowledge the rest of the class as they inevitably begin to chant your name.

1. How do I design my egg drop contraption?

There is no one right way to design your egg drop contraption. Some common materials used include straws, popsicle sticks, cotton balls, and bubble wrap. It is also important to consider the forces acting on your egg during the drop, such as gravity and air resistance. Experiment with different designs and materials to find what works best for your egg drop.

2. What are the key physics concepts involved in an egg drop?

There are several key physics concepts involved in an egg drop, including gravity, air resistance, and potential and kinetic energy. Understanding how these forces and energies work together can help you design a successful egg drop contraption.

3. How can I protect my egg during the drop?

There are a few ways to protect your egg during the drop. One common method is to use padding materials, such as cotton balls or bubble wrap, to absorb the impact of the drop. You can also try to minimize the forces acting on the egg by using a parachute or reducing the height of the drop.

4. What should I do if my egg breaks during the drop?

If your egg breaks during the drop, don't get discouraged! Use this as an opportunity to analyze what went wrong and make improvements for your next attempt. Consider adjusting your design, materials, or drop height to see if you can achieve a successful drop.

5. How can I make my egg drop contraption more creative?

There are many ways to make your egg drop contraption more creative. You can incorporate different themes or designs, use unconventional materials, or even add a challenge element, such as a time limit or specific target to hit. Just remember to also consider the physics principles involved in your design to ensure a successful drop.