Falling Back to Orbit: Can Rockets Change Their Orbit?

In summary, the rocket's velocity and gravitational forces determine its orbit, and changing the direction of the rocket's engines can result in a new, more eccentric orbit.
wimms
I understand that to get to orbit and stay there, rocket needs only velocity. Its velocity around planet and gravity defines the height of orbit. To change to higher orbit, rocket is firing engines to speedup rocket, to go to lower orbit, rocket fires to slow down.

I assume that engines are fired in back direction of travel. So I had this thought, what is supposed to happen if rocket fires engines towards center of planet? If it standed on surface, it would take off and when engines cut off, would fall back down. So, if rocket would fire engines in direction towards center of planet, so as to climb higher, is this going to happen? And when it stops burner, is it going to "drop" back to its previous orbit? I guess so.

And if opposite, rocket firing into open space so as to "dive" towards center of planet - as long as engines fire, it does. But when engines stop, is its velocity throwing it back up into its previous orbit? Seems kinda funny.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Originally posted by wimms
I understand that to get to orbit and stay there, rocket needs only velocity. Its velocity around planet and gravity defines the height of orbit. To change to higher orbit, rocket is firing engines to speedup rocket, to go to lower orbit, rocket fires to slow down.

I assume that engines are fired in back direction of travel. So I had this thought, what is supposed to happen if rocket fires engines towards center of planet? If it standed on surface, it would take off and when engines cut off, would fall back down. So, if rocket would fire engines in direction towards center of planet, so as to climb higher, is this going to happen? And when it stops burner, is it going to "drop" back to its previous orbit? I guess so.

And if opposite, rocket firing into open space so as to "dive" towards center of planet - as long as engines fire, it does. But when engines stop, is its velocity throwing it back up into its previous orbit? Seems kinda funny.

Firing the rocket inwards or outwards from the planet would put the rocket in a new, more eccentric, orbit than the one it started in. The new orbit would have a closer perigee and further apogee than the old orbit, and would cross the old orbit at two points. The rocket will not return to its old orbit.

1. Can rockets change their orbit?

Yes, rockets have the ability to change their orbit through various maneuvers and techniques.

2. What is the purpose of changing an orbit?

Changing an orbit allows rockets to reach different destinations or adjust their trajectory to avoid collisions with other objects in space.

3. How do rockets change their orbit?

Rockets can change their orbit through techniques such as using thrusters to increase or decrease their speed, using gravitational assists from other celestial bodies, or performing a burn at a specific angle to change their direction.

4. Is changing an orbit energy efficient?

No, changing an orbit requires a significant amount of energy, which is why rockets often carry large amounts of fuel to power their maneuvers.

5. Can rockets change their orbit multiple times?

Yes, rockets can change their orbit multiple times throughout their journey, depending on their destination and mission objectives.