QM simple harmonic oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the potential and energy equation in a simple harmonic oscillator with an added electric field. The topic of a possible substitution for x is brought up and it is discovered that a constant term can be ignored and the substitution of psi(x) separately will yield the correct solution.
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] QM simple harmonic oscillator

Homework Statement

If I have a particle in an SHO potential and an electric field, I can represent its potential as:

[tex] V(x) = 0.5 * m \omega^2 (x - \frac{qE}{mw^2})^2 - \frac{1}{2m}(\frac{qE}{\omega})^2 [/tex]

I know the solutions to the TISE:

[tex] -\hbar^2 /2m \frac{d^2 \psi}{ dx^2} + 0.5 m\omege^2 x^2\psi(x) = E\psi(x) [/tex] (*)

(Those are different Es)So, I plug V(x) into the TISE and get:

[tex] -\hbar^2 /2m \frac{d^2 \psi}{ dx^2} + (0.5 * m \omega^2 (x - \frac{qE}{mw^2})^2 - \frac{1}{2m}(\frac{qE}{\omega})^2) \psi(x) = E\psi(x) [/tex]Now, since we only shift and translated the potential, I should be able to find a substitution for x that yields the equation (*) in a new variable y = f(x), right?
The problem is, after I move the constant term to the RHS, I cannot find the right substitution. What am I doing wrong?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that I can even prove that there is no constant that you can add to x to find a suitable substitution. Something must be wrong here?

Have you tried the obvious substitution: [itex]\xi = x-qE/m\omega ^2 ~[/itex] ?

You can ignore the additive constant and refer all energies relative to that value.

Yes, I figured it out. The problem was that I was under the false impression that I had to substitute epsilon for every x in that equation, which does not work.

I realized, however, that you can substitute for psi(x) separately since it is a factor on both sides of the equation.

1. What is a simple harmonic oscillator?

A simple harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits a repetitive or oscillatory motion around a stable equilibrium point, with the motion being described by a sinusoidal function.

2. What is the equation of motion for a QM simple harmonic oscillator?

The equation of motion for a QM simple harmonic oscillator is given by the Schrödinger equation, which is a differential equation that describes how the quantum state of a physical system changes with time.

3. What is the energy of a QM simple harmonic oscillator?

The energy of a QM simple harmonic oscillator is quantized, meaning it can only take on discrete values. The energy levels are given by En = (n + 1/2)ħω, where n is the quantum number and ω is the angular frequency of the oscillator.

4. How does the mass affect the frequency of a QM simple harmonic oscillator?

The frequency of a QM simple harmonic oscillator is inversely proportional to the square root of the mass. This means that a larger mass will result in a lower frequency, while a smaller mass will result in a higher frequency.

5. Can the QM simple harmonic oscillator be in a state of rest?

No, the QM simple harmonic oscillator cannot be in a state of rest. According to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, the position and momentum of a particle cannot both be known with certainty. Therefore, even at the lowest energy state, the oscillator will still have some amount of motion.