Why there is no isotope of hydrogen with an atomic weight of four?

In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of a hydrogen isotope with an atomic weight of four. It is explained that this isotope would have an isotopic spin state that does not exist. The possibility of a nucleus with 1 proton and 3 neutrons is considered, but it is stated that there are no restrictions on isospins of protons and neutrons. The conversation concludes by questioning why helium-4 is allowed, but not hydrogen-4. It is mentioned that research has been done on this topic.
estrella

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

why there is no isotope of hydrogen with an atomic weight of four?

The Attempt at a Solution

i find that such an isotope would have an isotopic spin state of 1/2 |2-1> + 3/2 |1 -1>
is there a reason for this state to not exist?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean hydrogen with a nucleus of 1 proton and 3 neutrons?

Tritium is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen with 1 proton and 2 neutrons. It usually decays via
[tex]
H^3 -> (He^3)^+ + e^- + \nu^-
[/tex]

Perhaps [tex]
H^4
[/tex] would be unstable due to internuclear forces.

jsc

yes. I want to explain why a nucleus of 1 proton and 3 neutrons does not exist by using the isospin.
so i thought i should calculate the isospin of the combination n+n, then the combination p+n and then combine the results to find the isospin of the nucleus.
i assume that i sould find an unreasonable result to explain why it doesn't exist.
Any idea?

There are no restrictions, other than that supplied by the Pauli Principle, on isospins of any set of protons and neutrons. Why would there be?

Why would Nature allow Helium 4, but not Hydrogen 4?
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

i did my research on the subject and you are wright reilly.
thanks!

1. Why is there no isotope of hydrogen with an atomic weight of four?

The atomic weight of an element is determined by the number of protons and neutrons in its nucleus. Hydrogen, with an atomic number of 1, typically has one proton and no neutrons in its nucleus. Therefore, it is not possible to have an isotope of hydrogen with an atomic weight of four, as this would require three neutrons in addition to the one proton.

2. What are the isotopes of hydrogen and their atomic weights?

The three isotopes of hydrogen are protium, deuterium, and tritium. Protium, the most common isotope, has an atomic weight of one. Deuterium, also known as "heavy hydrogen," has an atomic weight of two due to the presence of one neutron in its nucleus. Tritium, the least common isotope, has an atomic weight of three because it contains two neutrons in its nucleus.

3. Why is tritium the only isotope of hydrogen with an atomic weight greater than one?

Tritium is the only isotope of hydrogen with an atomic weight greater than one because it is the only isotope that contains more than one neutron in its nucleus. As the atomic weight is determined by the number of protons and neutrons, the presence of multiple neutrons will increase the atomic weight.

4. Can an isotope of hydrogen be artificially created with an atomic weight of four?

No, it is not possible to artificially create an isotope of hydrogen with an atomic weight of four. The number of protons and neutrons in an atom's nucleus is determined by its natural properties and cannot be artificially altered.

5. Are there any elements with isotopes that have atomic weights of four?

Yes, there are several elements that have isotopes with an atomic weight of four, including beryllium, carbon, and oxygen. However, these elements have a higher atomic number than hydrogen and therefore have more protons and neutrons in their nucleus, allowing for isotopes with an atomic weight of four.