Diagonalizing a square matrix with degenerate eigenvalues

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of diagonalizing a matrix with three eigenvalues, one of which is zero. The main concern is the uniqueness of eigenvectors for the zero eigenvalue, but it is clarified that only three linearly independent eigenvectors are needed for diagonalization. The solution involves selecting two linearly independent eigenvectors for the zero eigenvalue and one eigenvector for the eigenvalue 5 and plugging them into a matrix P to obtain the diagonalizing matrix.
maverick280857
Hi

This is more of a math question but in the context of Quantum Mechanics, hence I posted it here. Suppose I have a matrix A of order 3x3 with three eigenvalues: 0, 0, 5. I am supposed to find the diagonalizing matrix for A.

I know that in general, if P denotes the matrix of eigenvectors of A, then [itex]PAP^{-1}[/itex] will be a diagonal matrix.

In my particular example, for the eigenvalue 0,

AX = 0

gives infinitely many solutions for X, so the eigenvector with eigenvalue 0 cannot be uniquely determined.

How do I diagonalize such a matrix?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers
Vivek

Physics news on Phys.org
There are infinitely many different eigenvectors for an eigenvalue, but are they all linearly independent? Remember that you only need 3 linearly independent eigenvectors for this. Just pick a simple eigenvector associated with the zero eigenvalue.

Ok, let's say I take (1, 0, 0)' and (0, 1, 0)' as the eigenvectors for the zero eigenvalue. And then I just plug them along with the eigenvector for the eigenvalue 5...and that's it, right?

Well, that's provided you "plug them in" correctly, doesn't it?

Defennder said:
Well, that's provided you "plug them in" correctly, doesn't it?

Yes, as the problem asks to find the diagonalizing matrix, I was wondering what to write as the eigenvectors are not uniquely determined here. By "plug them in", I meant that I construct a matrix P whose columns are precisely the Linearly independent eigenvectors of the matrix A...in this case I select two Linearly independent eigenvectors for the zero eigenvalue and the third column is the eigenvector for the eigenvalue 5.

Thanks for your help Defennder :smile:

1. How do you diagonalize a square matrix with degenerate eigenvalues?

To diagonalize a square matrix with degenerate eigenvalues, you first need to find the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of the matrix. Then, you can use these eigenvectors to create a matrix P, where each column is an eigenvector. Finally, you can use the formula P^-1 * A * P = D, where A is the original matrix and D is the diagonalized matrix.

2. What are degenerate eigenvalues?

Degenerate eigenvalues are eigenvalues that have more than one corresponding eigenvector. This means that there are multiple solutions to the equation Ax = λx, where A is the original matrix, λ is the eigenvalue, and x is the eigenvector.

3. Why is diagonalizing a matrix with degenerate eigenvalues important?

Diagonalizing a matrix with degenerate eigenvalues can simplify calculations and make it easier to analyze the matrix. It also allows for easier identification of the matrix's properties, such as its trace and determinant.

4. Can a matrix have more than one set of degenerate eigenvalues?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple sets of degenerate eigenvalues. This means that there are multiple eigenvalues with more than one corresponding eigenvector.

5. Is it always possible to diagonalize a matrix with degenerate eigenvalues?

No, it is not always possible to diagonalize a matrix with degenerate eigenvalues. If the matrix does not have enough linearly independent eigenvectors, it cannot be diagonalized. In this case, it is called a non-diagonalizable matrix.