Alcubierre Drive: Faster Than Light Travel Possible?

• Thread starter Unredeemed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drive
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of warp drive spacetimes and its potential for faster than light travel. Some research has been done on this topic, but the amount of exotic material needed for these spacetimes is still a matter of debate among physicists. There are also other problems that need to be addressed.
Unredeemed
I stumbled across it on wikipedia. I'd never heard of it before but sounds quite interesting. I wonder if it'll ever be pursued as a way for faster than light travel. I think it's clever the way it allows this without defying the laws of relativity. What's everyone elses opinion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unredeemed said:
I stumbled across it on wikipedia. I'd never heard of it before but sounds quite interesting. I wonder if it'll ever be pursued as a way for faster than light travel. I think it's clever the way it allows this without defying the laws of relativity. What's everyone elses opinion?

There are serious papers on warp drive spacetimes, but this types of spacetime requires exotic material (negative energy density as measured by some observers). Quantum theory seem to indicate that exotic material exists, but how much is needed for these spacetimes is a matter of disagreement among physicists, i.e., research is still ongoing. A good technical review is

http://arxiv.org/abs/0710.4474.

This review mentions other problems, as well.

The concept of the Alcubierre Drive is certainly intriguing and has captured the imagination of many people. However, it must be noted that it is still just a theoretical concept and has not been proven to be possible. Many scientists believe that the amount of energy and resources required to create and sustain the Alcubierre Drive would be astronomical, making it currently unfeasible.

Furthermore, there are still many unanswered questions and potential issues with this type of propulsion system, such as the potential for creating dangerous gravitational effects. While it does not defy the laws of relativity, it does require the existence of exotic matter, which has not been observed or proven to exist.

In my opinion, while the Alcubierre Drive is a fascinating concept, it is not something that will be pursued in the near future. Instead, scientists and researchers are focusing on other forms of propulsion and space travel, such as ion propulsion and solar sails, which are more feasible and have already shown promising results.

Overall, it is important to keep an open mind and continue exploring new ideas and theories, but it is also important to approach them with a critical and realistic perspective. Only time will tell if the Alcubierre Drive or any other form of faster than light travel will ever become a reality.

1. Is the Alcubierre Drive a real scientific concept?

Yes, the Alcubierre Drive is a real theoretical concept proposed by Mexican physicist Miguel Alcubierre in 1994. It is based on the principles of general relativity and has been studied by many scientists, although it has not been proven to be possible at this time.

2. How does the Alcubierre Drive work?

The Alcubierre Drive works by creating a "bubble" of space-time around a spacecraft, which moves the craft without actually moving through space-time. This is achieved by expanding space-time behind the bubble and contracting it in front, essentially "surfing" on a wave of space-time.

3. Can the Alcubierre Drive travel faster than the speed of light?

While the Alcubierre Drive is often described as "faster than light" travel, it does not violate the laws of physics by exceeding the speed of light. Instead, it warps space-time to move the spacecraft, allowing it to travel long distances in a relatively short amount of time.

4. What are the challenges in developing an Alcubierre Drive?

There are several challenges in developing an Alcubierre Drive, including the immense amount of energy required to warp space-time, the potential for creating dangerous levels of radiation, and the possibility of destabilizing the fabric of space-time itself.

5. Will we ever be able to build an Alcubierre Drive?

At this time, there is no known way to build an Alcubierre Drive that is feasible with our current understanding of physics. However, scientific advancements and further research may one day make it possible to develop this technology and travel faster than light.