Electric field at the center of a square

In summary: To find the value of the vector, use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the vector.In summary, the problem involves finding the electric field strength at the center of a square with charges placed at each corner. The top corners have +6μC charges and the bottom corners have -4μC charges. Using the electric field equation and considering symmetry, it can be determined that the field only has a y component. By finding the y component contributions from a single charge at the top and bottom corners, and using trigonometry, the value of the vector can be calculated.
ally1h

Homework Statement

A charge is placed at each corner of a square. The charges at the top corners are each +6μC and the ones at the bottom are each -4μC. Each side of the square has a length of 10.0 cm. Determine the electric field strength at the center of the square.

Homework Equations

E = Kq/2a^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that the electric field at the center is the vector sum of the fields due to each of the point charges. I somewhat understand the problem if all the charges were the same, then the electric field strength would be 0. But I'm a little thrown with multiple charges. Is it:

E = K(q1q2)/(2)(a^2)
E = (9x10^9 Nm^2/C^2)*[(6x10^-6 C)(4x10^-6 C) / (2)(.01 m^2)
E = 10.8 N/C

Somehow I don't think so because this doesn't really give me N/C as the answer. So... considering it is supposed to be the vector sum.. am I just supposed to add the charges together? In which case q = (6μC+6μC+ (-4μC)+ (-4μC)) = +4μC?

Physics news on Phys.org
No you don't add the charges together. Note that the top corners have positive charges and the bottom ones have negative charges. Symmetry alone allows you to conclude that the field only has a y component. Just find the Ey contributions by the top and bottom charges. An easy way would be to find the Ey due to a single charge at a square corner at the top and separately for the bottom. Then just mutiply the answer by two to get the Ey contribution from the other half of the square.

Okay, let me see if I understand correctly. Since there is only a y component I should be finding the value of the vector??

Since the shape is a square the value of theta = 45 degrees. Since two sides are 5cm I should use the Pythagorean theorem to find the value of the vector?

I'm still confused. I'm very weak in geometry and trig

Yes you need to find the y component of the E-field. Draw a right-angle triangle with E_y and E_x as it sides and E as the hypotenuse. The angle between E_y and E is the same as the angle between the point charge on the square corner and the line from that corner charge to the centre. So we have E_y = E cos theta, if theta is the angle as described above.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force that a charged particle would experience at a specific point in space. It is represented by lines of force that show the direction of the force and the magnitude is determined by the distance between the lines.

2. What is the center of a square?

The center of a square is the point that is equidistant from all four vertices of the square. It is also known as the centroid or the center of mass.

3. How is the electric field at the center of a square calculated?

The electric field at the center of a square can be calculated by summing the electric fields due to each individual charge at the center. This can be done using the principle of superposition, where the total electric field is the vector sum of the individual electric fields.

4. Does the size of the square affect the electric field at its center?

Yes, the size of the square does affect the electric field at its center. The larger the square, the farther apart the charges are and the weaker the electric field will be at the center. Conversely, a smaller square will have charges that are closer together and a stronger electric field at the center.

5. What is the direction of the electric field at the center of a square?

The direction of the electric field at the center of a square will depend on the arrangement of charges on the square. If all the charges have the same sign, the electric field will point away from the center. If the charges have alternating signs, the electric field will point towards the center.