Random thoughts on pitchforks.

In summary, my daughter is finally learning to drive a car. She is just starting out so she hasn't made all the mistakes yet. For instance, last night she drove over a pitchfork lying in the road. It was dark, so she didn't see it in time. But I was in the passenger seat and I saw it. By the time I opened my mouth to warn her, she had driven over it. I heard it thwack the bottom of the car, but I won't know until tomorrow if it caused any damage. The tires are ok. After she ran over it she stopped and I got out and picked up the implement and tossed it into the car.
Jimmy Snyder
My daughter is finally learning to drive a car. She is just starting out so she hasn't made all the mistakes yet. For instance, last night she drove over a pitchfork lying in the road. It was dark, so I guess she didn't see it in time. But I was in the passenger seat and I saw it. By the time I opened my mouth to warn her, she had driven over it. I heard it thwack the bottom of the car, but I won't know until tomorrow if it caused any damage. The tires are ok. After she ran over it she stopped and I got out and picked up the implement and tossed it into the car. In North Jersey, they have a phrase "fell off a truck". It means stolen, like "Where did you get that mink coat? My boyfriend gave it to me. He said it fell off a truck." But this is South Jersey, so I guess this garden tool/political symbol really did fall off a truck. She drove on and that was the end of the story.

However, there is a slight twist. I have a compost pile that has been growing for about 15 years. I never do anything with it, just pile on the grass clippings, leaves, and table scraps and let it stew. My company held a 'Be Green' information fair just a few days ago. Several of the booths had information on composting, so I asked them what I should be doing with the pile. I never really intended to do what they said, but I was just interested. They said I should turn the pile upside down and inside out every now and then with a pitchfork.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good things come to those who wait?

Watch out for snakes, I'll be you've got a million of them living in there.

Turning compost with a pitchfork is kind of satisfying, as using the right tool for a job always is.

turn the pile upside down and inside out every now and then with a pitchfork.
That's about it. And keep it moist, and perhaps add some cow manure.

As Evo said, there could be snakes in the pile. We occasionally find snake skins in our back yard, and something (possibly a copperhead) bit my hand while I was working in the pile. We have our compost pile on a wood pallet, and I put my hand underneath to lift some of the pile, and something bit down hard. I had two puncture wounds, my hand and forearm become swollen and partially numb. All that subsided after a couple of hours or so.

Wear leather gloves and use a pitchfork to flip the pile and stir it up. There should be some good sized earthworms in there too.

1. What inspired you to think about pitchforks?

I was conducting research on farming tools and came across a historical document mentioning the use of pitchforks as a weapon during a peasant uprising. This sparked my interest in exploring the various uses and symbolism of pitchforks.

2. Are there any other cultures that use pitchforks in a different way?

Yes, pitchforks have been used in various cultures for different purposes. In some African cultures, they are used as a symbol of authority and are carried by tribal leaders. In Japan, a similar tool called a "kama" is used in martial arts and as a farming tool.

3. Can pitchforks be used for anything other than farming or gardening?

Yes, pitchforks have been used for various tasks such as haymaking, manure handling, and even as a weapon in historical battles. They can also be used for turning compost, aerating soil, and spreading mulch.

4. What is the significance of the three-pronged design of pitchforks?

The three-pronged design of pitchforks allows for better stability and distribution of weight when lifting and moving heavy loads. It also allows for easier penetration into the ground compared to a single-pronged tool.

5. Are there any safety precautions one should take when using a pitchfork?

Yes, it is important to use proper lifting techniques and wear protective gear when using a pitchfork. One should also be cautious of the sharp tines and handle the tool with care to avoid injuries.