Can anyone explain why my HP laptop's battery suddenly discharges twice?

In summary, a user is experiencing a problem with their HP laptop battery not recharging when plugged into the mains. The laptop is only 5 months old and suggestions for fixing the issue include re-seating the battery and checking for a reset button on the battery. The portability of laptops is highlighted as an advantage, but using an AC charger means the laptop is temporarily fixed to one location. The user also asks if the battery discharge could affect their laptop's speed or 3D card.
danthemanutd
HP laptop battery problem!

hi, does anyone know why my battery on my HP laptop doesn't recharge when it is plugged into the mains?? It says it is 0% and charging but never actually increases. If you unplug the AC adapter it doesn't turn itself off but keeps warning me that it is at 0% and should be plugged in.
The laptop is only about 5 months old so shouldn't really have this sort of problem.

Any ideas are welcome!

Oh, the model number is HP Pavillion dv4, if that helps??

Cheers for any feedback,

dan

Computer science news on Phys.org

Try removing the battery and re-seating it, it could just be a bad contact.
More likely is that you have killed the battery, by over charging or too much heat.
There is a tiny computer in most modern laptop batteries that also monitors the charge/discharge, there might be a reset button on the battery to clear it's memory.

mgb_phys said:
Try removing the battery and re-seating it, it could just be a bad contact.
More likely is that you have killed the battery, by over charging or too much heat.
There is a tiny computer in most modernhttp://www.etech.com/laptops-laptop-batteries--c1146_1162" [Broken] that also monitors the charge/discharge, there might be a reset button on the battery to clear it's memory.
wow, I like you says,so the beauty of notebook PCs is the portability, making them an essential device with an obivous advantage of mobility over desktop computers. Of course, after several hours, you will need to recharge your laptop's battery, plugging an AC charger from the mains into your laptop, which means, for a short period of time, it's fixed to one place, making it effectively a desktop PC for a short while.

Last edited by a moderator:

Try removing the battery and reinstalled, it was just a bad contact.
It 's more likely that you've killed the battery or extreme heat.
There is a small computer in most modern laptop batteries, which also controls the charge / discharge can eliminate a reset button on the battery for the memory.

my HP laptop's battery discharge twice, does it affects on my laptop speed or 3dcard?? b/coz looks like my game (battle-field-3) is bit slow after dat accident of discharging,,,as my laptop is HP 6series with 1gp 3dcard.Thanks for reply in advance.

Tierneyeom said:
Try removing the battery and reinstalled, it was just a bad contact.
It 's more likely that you've killed the battery or extreme heat.
There is a small computer in most modern laptop batteries, which also controls the charge / discharge can eliminate a reset button on the battery for the memory.
my HP laptop's battery discharge twice, does it affects on my laptop speed or 3dcard?? b/coz looks like my game (battle-field-3) is bit slow after dat accident of discharging,,,as my laptop is HP 6series with 1gp 3dcard.Thanks for reply in advance.

1. What are the signs of a faulty HP laptop battery?

Signs of a faulty HP laptop battery may include a significant decrease in battery life, the battery not charging properly, and the laptop shutting down unexpectedly even when the battery is not low. Additionally, the battery may feel hot to the touch or show physical damage such as bulging or leaking.

2. How long should an HP laptop battery last?

The average lifespan of an HP laptop battery is 2-4 years, depending on usage and charging habits. However, this can vary depending on the specific model and how often the laptop is used on battery power versus being plugged in.

3. How do I check the health of my HP laptop battery?

You can check the health of your HP laptop battery by using the built-in diagnostic tools or software provided by HP. You can also check the battery health by looking at the battery icon in the taskbar, which may display a percentage or a warning sign if the battery is low.

4. Can a faulty HP laptop battery be repaired?

In most cases, a faulty HP laptop battery cannot be repaired. However, some laptops may have a removable battery that can be replaced with a new one. If the laptop's warranty is still valid, you may be able to get a replacement battery from HP.

5. How can I extend the life of my HP laptop battery?

To extend the life of your HP laptop battery, it is recommended to avoid overcharging the battery, keep the laptop and battery in a cool and dry environment, and only use the laptop on battery power when necessary. You can also adjust the power settings to optimize battery life.