Finding Speed and Direction of Relative Motion on a Moving Ship

• Thread starter undrcvrbro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, a child walks east on a ship moving north at 1 mile per hour and 4 miles per hour respectively. The speed and direction of the child relative to the surface of the water can be found using inverse tangent, with the angle relative to north being approximately 14 degrees east. The calculation was completed in radians.
undrcvrbro

Homework Statement

A child walks due east on the deck of a ship at 1 miles per hour.
The ship is moving north at a speed of 4 miles per hour.

Find the speed and direction of the child relative to the surface of the water.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already found the magnitude. But now I can't find the direction.

They want:

"The angle of the direction from the north = "

What does that mean? I've solved it using the inverse tangent for both angles of the triangle and apparently neither is right. So maybe it's even simpler than I think?

Physics news on Phys.org
undrcvrbro said:

Homework Statement

A child walks due east on the deck of a ship at 1 miles per hour.
The ship is moving north at a speed of 4 miles per hour.

Find the speed and direction of the child relative to the surface of the water.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already found the magnitude. But now I can't find the direction.

They want:

"The angle of the direction from the north = "

What does that mean? I've solved it using the inverse tangent for both angles of the triangle and apparently neither is right. So maybe it's even simpler than I think?
What did you get for the angle relative to north? It should be somewhere between 10 and 20 degrees east of north.

Mark44 said:
What did you get for the angle relative to north? It should be somewhere between 10 and 20 degrees east of north.
I got 14.03624347...in radians .2449786631(exact enough for you?:tongue2:)...does that sound about right?

undrcvrbro said:
I got 14.03624347...in radians .2449786631(exact enough for you?:tongue2:)...does that sound about right?

Your first value agrees with mine. I didn't calculate it in radians.

Mark44 said:
Your first value agrees with mine. I didn't calculate it in radians.
Okay, cool. Thanks Mark, for all the help this morning(it's 2:30 here in Ohio). I can now begin my Materials and Energy Balances homework!

What is a "Simple Vector Problem"?

A "Simple Vector Problem" is a mathematical problem that involves the use of vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. These problems often involve finding the resultant vector or solving for the magnitude and direction of a given vector.

What are some common applications of vector problems?

Vector problems are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. Some common applications include calculating forces in mechanics, determining the velocity and acceleration of objects, and mapping out the path of a moving object.

How do you solve a "Simple Vector Problem"?

To solve a "Simple Vector Problem", you can break down the given vectors into their components (x and y for 2D problems, or x, y, and z for 3D problems) and then use basic vector operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication by a scalar. The final step is to find the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving vector problems?

One common mistake is to mix up the direction and magnitude of a vector. Another mistake is to forget to account for the angle of a vector when solving for its components. It is also important to use the correct units when working with vectors.

How can I improve my skills in solving vector problems?

Practice and familiarity with basic vector operations and concepts is key to improving your skills in solving vector problems. Additionally, visualizing vectors in a geometric manner and understanding their properties can also aid in solving more complex problems.