Configuring LinkSys BEFW 11S4 Wireless Router

In summary, the wireless router may not be able to be configured to use the 192.168.1.1 address to connect to the Internet.
alanveron
wireless router...

i bought a new wireless router from LinkSys...model no. is BEFW 11S4...i was asked to go to http://192.168.1.1 to configure my connection...but i can't even go to http://192.168.1.1...so [Broken] how can i configure my connection?
Must i go to the site to configure it or i can configure it manually without visiting the site?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
did you get issued an IP address from the Wifi Router?

Open CMD and type ipconfig to find out, look for the default gateway, this will be your wifi router... open IE and put in the this IP address to configure the router...

IIRC, the wireless access point is not turned on when you initially turn the router on. You'll need to actually plug into it with an ethernet cable to be able to set it up and turn the wireless access point on.

- Warren

Remember that 192.168.1.1 is not a site on the Internet. It is the IP address that your router assumes on your home network.

so how to configure it?

Plug a cable into it, then direct a browser to http://192.168.1.1, then follow directions. Ask specific questions, please.

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
yeh good point, I thought he had pluged in an ethernet cable :-/

alanveron said:
so how to configure it?
No offense, but most manuals have quite specific and easy to follow directions...

russ_watters said:
No offense, but most manuals have quite specific and easy to follow directions...

True. And Linksys has pretty good tech support, I've dealt with them in the past and had no problems.

Just don't ask them the meaning of life.

uhmmm, what is "the meaning of life" ? as your post mentioned ?

i am using wireless router now to link to 2 of my pc...so can i configure one of the pc to be faster on surfing the net?

unless you want to use a Packetshapper or some Nbar on a router (cisco) you will find it difficult giving one PC morebandwith than the other, typically any PC behind a NAT device will share the bandwidth at the NAT device...

1. How do I access the configuration page for my LinkSys BEFW 11S4 router?

To access the configuration page for your router, you will need to connect your computer to the router using an Ethernet cable. Then, open a web browser and type in the default IP address for the router (usually 192.168.1.1). This will take you to the login page for the router's configuration page.

2. What is the default username and password for the LinkSys BEFW 11S4 router?

The default username and password for the router is usually "admin" for both. If this doesn't work, you can try leaving the username blank and using "admin" as the password. If you have changed the login credentials in the past and can't remember them, you may need to reset the router to its factory settings.

3. How can I secure my wireless network with the LinkSys BEFW 11S4 router?

To secure your wireless network, you will need to log in to the router's configuration page and navigate to the wireless settings. From there, you can enable WPA or WPA2 encryption, create a strong password, and hide your network SSID. It is also recommended to change the default login credentials for the router to further secure your network.

4. Can I connect multiple devices to my LinkSys BEFW 11S4 router?

Yes, you can connect multiple devices to your router using either a wired or wireless connection. The router has multiple LAN ports for wired connections and supports multiple wireless devices through its Wi-Fi capabilities. Just make sure to check the maximum number of devices supported by your specific router model.

5. How can I troubleshoot connectivity issues with my LinkSys BEFW 11S4 router?

If you are experiencing connectivity issues with your router, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem. First, make sure all cables are securely connected and the router is turned on. Then, try restarting the router by unplugging it, waiting for a few seconds, and plugging it back in. You can also try resetting the router to its factory settings. If the issue persists, you may need to contact LinkSys customer support for further assistance.