Heating project (powering a silcone heating element)

In summary: A good all purpose unit is the 5 W/in2. Rapid warm-up and high temperature are achieved with the 10 W/in2; however, temperature must be controlled as the safe maximum operating temperature limit of 450°F (232°C) may be exceeded.
sinuuar
Hello new to the site and i usually don't post questions but after a few days searching I answered a few and found many more I'm hoping someone here can help.

Background for project:

Looking to preheat my RC (remote control) nitro motors to 200-220'F prior to starting the break-in process.i would like to get it up to this temp in 15-20 or so mins, temp control wouldn't be a issues since it won't be left unattended.

The motors are ABC in design and have no rings on the pistons and are very tight when cold starting them and will put quite a strain on the conrods not to mention it often gets stuck at TDC.

So I found a flexible silicone heater at omega.com that 50 watts in total power that i can wrap the motor in. it's 2x5 inch with 5watts per sq/inch the spec sheet says at 110 volts i couldn't find a ohm rating.

mass of the motor is approx 1.5-2 lbs of aluminium. only the the hardware, crank and bearing are different material.Do i plug 115ac straight into it? or do i need to limit current?
heater is 50 watt energy output(170-80 ish btu's) does that mean i need to feed it 50 watts electrical energy?
so what would happen if i plug this into a car battery?
does ac/dc matter? I'm pretty sure it doesnt...

I have a adjustable foam cutter power supply 10 amp max up to 40vdc would that work? if it does then i could get a 100 watt version and dial down the power? I think I'm on the right track with this or not.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I had a quick look at Omega flexible heaters and it appears that you should use a temperature controller.

A good all purpose unit is the 5 W/in2. Rapid warm-up and high temperature are achieved with the 10 W/in2; however, temperature must be controlled as the safe maximum operating temperature limit of 450°F (232°C) may be exceeded.

http://www.omega.com/prodinfo/flexibleheaters.html" [Broken]

And they are made to run on 120VAC so forget using a DC source.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a silicone heating element?

A silicone heating element is a type of heating device that utilizes silicone rubber as the heating material. It is often used in applications where high flexibility and heat resistance are required.

2. How does a silicone heating element work?

A silicone heating element works by using the electrical resistance of silicone rubber to produce heat. When an electric current is passed through the silicone, the resistance causes it to heat up. This heat is then transferred to the surrounding area, providing warmth.

3. What are the advantages of using a silicone heating element?

One of the main advantages of using a silicone heating element is its flexibility. It can be easily molded into different shapes and sizes, making it suitable for various applications. Additionally, it has excellent heat distribution and can heat up quickly, making it energy-efficient.

4. What are the common uses of a silicone heating element?

Silicone heating elements are commonly used in industries such as automotive, medical, and food processing. They are also used in household appliances, such as coffee makers and electric blankets. Additionally, they are used in scientific research and laboratory experiments.

5. How can I power a silicone heating element for my project?

To power a silicone heating element, you will need a power source, such as a battery or electrical outlet, and a temperature controller. The temperature controller will regulate the amount of electricity flowing through the element to maintain a specific temperature. It is essential to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety precautions when powering a silicone heating element.