Good Marketing or wasting energy

In summary, a conversation was had about wasted space in packaging and how companies use clever marketing tactics to make consumers think they are getting more product than they actually are. The example of a half-full box of Corn Flakes was used to illustrate this point. The conversation also touched on the impact of this on shipping and energy usage, as well as the use of disclaimers and the calculation of cost per ounce in grocery stores. The topic of using nitrogen in packaging to preserve freshness was also mentioned, with varying opinions on its necessity.
airborne18
I just opened a box of Corn Flakes, the huge box, and it was basically half full. So the other half of the box was just wasted space.

Just think of how many products are shipped in containers that are cleverly designed by marketing people simply to convince us we are getting more product than they actually deliver.

How much space is wasted in each truck traveling down the highways so company X can convince us to upsize our purchase.

How much space in a store is wasted because of packaged air.

The average Walmart store gets two trucks per day. Just one company could save a lot of energy. Plus shipping it to the distribution centers in the first place.

Physics news on Phys.org
they often have "Some Settling During Shipment May Occur" disclaimer.
Not that its an excuse.

No kidding. And this applies to other aspects of packaging, such as the materials used, the concentration [dilution] of liquids and powders, and the energy cost per pound of packaging material. From a technical point of view, the solution is a no-brainer, and the benefits of smart packaging would would be significant.

For things that settle, they also have to sell contents by weight of product, not by volume. Furthermore, most grocery stores calculate cost/oz, which is what I always go by when I purchase widely available food types, not their particular brand names.

I've seen various products like cereals or chips featured on "how it's made," and the person giving the factory tour said that the nitrogen bubble that they put in the bag is truly needed to preserve the freshness of the product and that it's not some gimmick to short change you. Whether or not you believe that is up to you I guess.

1. What is the difference between good marketing and wasting energy?

The main difference between good marketing and wasting energy is the impact and effectiveness of the marketing strategy. Good marketing involves using targeted and creative techniques to reach and engage with potential customers, resulting in a positive return on investment. Wasting energy, on the other hand, refers to using ineffective or excessive marketing tactics that do not yield desired results and are considered a waste of resources.

2. How can I ensure that my marketing efforts are not wasteful?

To ensure that your marketing efforts are not wasteful, it is important to have a clear understanding of your target audience and their needs, as well as tracking and analyzing the results of your marketing campaigns. This will allow you to identify what works and what doesn't, and make necessary adjustments to optimize your marketing strategy.

3. Is it possible to have a good marketing strategy without wasting any energy?

Yes, it is possible to have a successful marketing strategy without wasting energy. By conducting thorough research, setting specific goals, and implementing targeted and data-driven tactics, you can create a well-planned and efficient marketing plan that maximizes your resources and yields positive results.

4. What are some common examples of wasteful marketing practices?

Some common examples of wasteful marketing practices include targeting the wrong audience, using outdated or irrelevant marketing channels, and investing in expensive campaigns with no clear goals or metrics for success. Additionally, excessive and unnecessary use of resources, such as printing excessive amounts of marketing materials, can also be considered wasteful.

5. How can I measure the success of my marketing efforts?

The success of your marketing efforts can be measured through various metrics such as ROI, conversion rates, website traffic, and brand awareness. It is important to set specific and measurable goals before implementing a marketing campaign, and regularly track and analyze these metrics to determine the effectiveness of your strategy and make necessary adjustments.