How Much Force Does a Rope Exert on a Car in This Scenario?

• Thread starter Windwaker2004
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the driver of a car stuck on the side of the road uses a non-stretchable rope tied to a tree to pull the car. By pushing the rope at the midpoint with a force of 600 N, the driver can move the car a distance of 2 m. To find the force exerted by the rope on the car, the driver can use similar triangles and the Pythagorean theorem, resulting in a force of 1200 N. The work done on the rope and the car is equal, but the distance the car moves does not need to be calculated for this algebraic solution.
Windwaker2004
Hi, can somebody help me out with this question:

A car is stuck on the side of the road and the driver has only a long piece of non-stretchable rope. Seeing a tree 20 m away from the car he ties the rope to the tree and then to the car such that it is quite tight and any sag is negligible. The driver then pushes the rope at the midpoint of the rope with a push prependicular yet horizontal to the line made by the rope. What force does the rope exert on the car if the driver can push the rope to a distance of 2 m with a force of 600 N?

I know (or atleast think) that I must use the similar triangles of the force and distance vectors. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, similar triangles will do it (or right triangles which is the same thing). The rope is non-stretchable so if you press at the center point to move it a distance 2m, you form a right triangle with leg of length dx and hypotenuse of length 10m (half of the original 20m length). You can calculate the length of the other leg using the Pythagorean theorem. The distance the car moved is 20 m- that length- call it x.

The work done applying a force 600 N 2m is 1200 Joules. That would be the same as the work done to move the car distance x: Fx= 1200. Solve for x.

I don't need to solve for the distance the car moves. It's asking for the force (tension on rope) exerted on the car by the rope. I can't use the work equation either because this is for algebra and the teacher expects only algebraic equations not physics. Thanks anyway but I got help in the homework section with this.

What is "force" in science?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between objects. It can cause objects to accelerate, change direction, or deform. In science, force is typically measured in units of Newtons (N).

What are the different types of forces?

There are four main types of forces in science: gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear. Gravitational forces are responsible for the attraction between objects with mass, while electromagnetic forces are responsible for the interaction between charged particles. Strong nuclear forces hold the nucleus of an atom together, and weak nuclear forces are involved in radioactive decay.

What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This means that objects will not change their state of motion unless a force is applied to them.

How do you calculate force?

Force can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. This formula is known as Newton's Second Law of Motion. Force can also be calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight and mass are often used interchangeably, but they are actually two different quantities. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is typically measured in kilograms (kg), while weight is measured in Newtons (N).