How to calculate theoretical initial velocity?

In summary: Thanks! This made is a bit more clear to me. I found got this equation, and your description made it make sense:Vx=16cos(∡)=26.7m/2.6sVy=√(256-(26.7m/2.6s)²)V=16=√(26.7m/2.6s)²+Vy²
pill
I can do with just an equation, but if anyone is willing to help:
Target is 25.6 m away from canon
Initial Velocity = 16 m/s
Time = 2.6 s
Range = 26.7m
No air resistance

Physics news on Phys.org
pill said:
Time = 2.6 s
Range = 26.7m
No air resistance

Is your problem that you have been told the initial velocity is 16 and you don't know how it was calculated?

pill said:
Time = 2.6 s
Range = 26.7m
No air resistance

:biggrin:

If you mean final then you're going to have to tell me what this Range quantity is

genericusrnme said:
:biggrin:

If you mean final then you're going to have to tell me what this Range quantity is

To be honest, I'm not too sure. My instructions state, "Calculate the theoretical initial velocity (no air resistance) required to impact a target with the distance you used in the simulation." I actually messed up when typing the original post: range quantity is the same as target (25.6 m).

PeterO said:
Is your problem that you have been told the initial velocity is 16 and you don't know how it was calculated?

For the most part, yes. I used an online simulation for this lab and just continually changed the value of the initial velocity until it hit the target.

pill said:
For the most part, yes. I used an online simulation for this lab and just continually changed the value of the initial velocity until it hit the target.

I we look at your original data
Time = 2.6 s
Range = 26.7m
No air resistance

and just ignire that initial velocity figure, we know that it covered 25.6 m ( horizintally) in 2.6 seconds - so the horizontal component will be a little less than 10m/s

SInce it took 2.6 seconds to get there, it spent 1.3 seconds gaining height, then 1.3 seconds coming back down.
Standard analysis of vertical motion will tell you how fast it was traveling vertically. Add those two components together using pythagorus and you will get the answer - who knows; it might even be 16 !

PeterO said:
I we look at your original data
Time = 2.6 s
Range = 26.7m
No air resistance

and just ignire that initial velocity figure, we know that it covered 25.6 m ( horizintally) in 2.6 seconds - so the horizontal component will be a little less than 10m/s

SInce it took 2.6 seconds to get there, it spent 1.3 seconds gaining height, then 1.3 seconds coming back down.
Standard analysis of vertical motion will tell you how fast it was traveling vertically. Add those two components together using pythagorus and you will get the answer - who knows; it might even be 16 !

Thanks! This made is a bit more clear to me. I found got this equation, and your description made it make sense:
Vx=16cos(∡)=26.7m/2.6s
Vy=√(256-(26.7m/2.6s)²)
V=16=√(26.7m/2.6s)²+Vy²

Hi, I'm having the same issue and was wondering where you found your final formula? Any help is greatly appreciated!

1. How do I calculate theoretical initial velocity?

The theoretical initial velocity is calculated using the equation v0 = vf - at, where v0 is the initial velocity, vf is the final velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. This equation is derived from the basic kinematic equations.

2. What is the unit for initial velocity?

The unit for initial velocity is meters per second (m/s). This is a unit of speed, which is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction.

3. Is initial velocity the same as average velocity?

No, initial velocity and average velocity are not the same. Initial velocity is the velocity of an object at the beginning of its motion, while average velocity is the average of an object's velocities throughout its entire motion.

4. Can initial velocity be negative?

Yes, initial velocity can be negative. A negative initial velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction, which is typically defined as the direction of motion.

5. What factors affect the calculation of theoretical initial velocity?

The calculation of theoretical initial velocity is affected by the final velocity, acceleration, and time. These values can change depending on the specific scenario being analyzed. Additionally, factors like air resistance and friction can also affect the calculation of initial velocity in real-world situations.