Dealing with a Sinus Infection: My Quest for Relief

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, Astronuc is telling Evo that she is being a jerk and that she should listen to him. Evo is not listening to Astronuc and is angry with him.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
It's been at least five years since I've had a full blown cold/flu. I AM SICK! :frown: My sinuses are infected and breathing through my nose is like inhaling fire. My head is about to explode. :cry:

Yes, this is a pathetic thread the only goal of which is to obtain sympathy. :redface:

Should I drink lots of vodka? Will that dehydrate me? What if I drink a lot of Fresca with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Even better than vodka, get Nyquil! Tsu might still have some, though she'll probably give you that icky green stuff instead of the cherry flavored one. Y'know, she probably gave the bug to you, running around here sick the way she did. :grumpy:

*shoves chicken broth with pastina into Evo's computer*

Here you go. The broth is home made. Feel better.

Moonbear said:
Even better than vodka, get Nyquil! Tsu might still have some, though she'll probably give you that icky green stuff instead of the cherry flavored one. Y'know, she probably gave the bug to you, running around here sick the way she did. :grumpy:
Yeah Tsu made me sick! :grumpy:

*shoves chicken broth with pastina into Evo's computer*
Mmmm, breathing the steam makes my sinuses feel better. :approve:

Perhaps a green apple nyquil martini?

Sorry to hear you are ill.

Please take care of yourself - plenty of fluids and fruit juices - orange and cranberry are good.

Also aspirin or ibuprofen for control of fever.

I hope you recover soon.

Astronuc said:
Sorry to hear you are ill.

Please take care of yourself - plenty of fluids and fruit juices - orange and cranberry are good.

Also aspirin or ibuprofen for control of fever.

I hope you recover soon.
Astronuc, you are forever the sweetest, most incredible man! I like the new avatar. :approve:

Please just rest and get well!

Evo said:
Astronuc, you are forever the sweetest, most incredible man! I like the new avatar. :approve:

*tucks Evo into bed* Astronuc, we'll just see if she still says that when the Nyquil has worn off. She's gone through quite a few men this week. :biggrin:

Hope you're feeling better. Vick's Salve (the mentholated stuff) always helps me.

Have you tried leeches? http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/ups/sicdeth/headscratch.gif http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/confused/shrug03.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Big Whip said:
Have you tried leeches? http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/ups/sicdeth/headscratch.gif http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/confused/shrug03.gif
Yep,[/URL] I have. Seems they don't like all the vodka though. :mad: Wimpy leeches.

Evo said:
It's been at least five years since I've had a full blown cold/flu. I AM SICK! :frown: My sinuses are infected and breathing through my nose is like inhaling fire. My head is about to explode. :cry:

Here we go again ! :grumpy: :confused: :cry: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

NO VODKA! It only dehydrates you! I'm sorry if YOU THINK I gave you my cold, but yours has been with you longer than mine has been with me. I THINK YOU GAVE ME YOUR COLD! :grumpy: (Haven't you had this cold for 3-4 weeks? I thought you were sick over Christmas or something, too...)

Listen to Astronuc. His advice is excellent! I'd let you have my Nyquil but Ivan is now using it as a recreational pharmaceutical! :rofl: (Just kidding! :biggrin:) It's VILE stuff! You don't want any! :yuck:

I hope you feel better soon, Sis! :!) :!) I love you! :smile:

have you tried leeches?

damn. beat me to it.

Poor Evo... :frown:

I hope you feel better soon.

For stuffy noses, nothing is better than a long, hot, steamy shower!

Poor Evo! Try dosing yourself with lots of vitamin c. Take lots of liquids and wrap yourself tight in bed with extra blankets to stay warm. It takes two weeks to get rid of a cold and 14 days to get rid of the flu!:rofl:

GET WELL SOON EVO!:biggrin:

polyb said:
Poor Evo! Try dosing yourself with lots of vitamin c. Take lots of liquids and wrap yourself tight in bed with extra blankets to stay warm. It takes two weeks to get rid of a cold and 14 days to get rid of the flu!:rofl:

GET WELL SOON EVO!:biggrin:

Don't waste your efforts on Vit C for colds. I recently tracked down references for double-blind, controlld studies (I guess it's posted somewhere in biology) that says it doesn't help. But plenty of liquid, keeping warm and getting bed rest are still good advice.

See, Evo, even after you so mercilessly rejected polyb, he's still here by your bedside watching out for you while sick. You're giving up a good thing here. :approve:

Oh I am so sooooorrrry you have the flu...owwweeeeee...no vodka...only fresca...and water and green drinks and more water and vegetable broth or juices with water and or chicken soup and I have never heard of anyone drinking vodka with the flu...warm or cool baths and perhaps a coffee drinking enema...gotcha!

Yes these clear out the bile...and energize you...lots of Emergen-C drinks...do you ever do these they come in packets of powder 1000mg of V-C B vitamin shots...and Epson baths with more water maybe sips of vodka later with lemon and shaved ice...only sips.

A little cranberry juice with soda…and cold or warm compresses alternating possibly and fresh air and comforts piled high.

Plus...drink Echinacea tea and zinc and other teas that build your immune system such as pau de arco tea.

It may take days...you may have fever...did you not get a shot...I am so worried about you did you party too hard for the super bowl?

Evo said:

Yes, this is a pathetic thread the only goal of which is to obtain sympathy. :redface:

Should I drink lots of vodka? Will that dehydrate me? What if I drink a lot of Fresca with it?
Get someone to buy you a nice large, fresh root of ginger. Grate it and let it sit in some freshly boiled water for 10 minutes, then drink lots of it! It will help clear your sinuses, airways and will help get rid of the bacteria fast :approve:

Lady Evo, are you sitting comfortably? Please excuse my somewhat deficient response to your most gracious compliment yestereve - I was at a loss for words. Please allow me to reciprocate the compliment.

Moonbear said:
Astronuc, we'll just see if she still says that when the Nyquil has worn off. She's gone through quite a few men this week. :biggrin:
Moonbear, I was wondering if it was the vodka, Nyquil or fever, or combination thereof.

As for remedies:

Moonbear has covered the chicken broth.

MIH has covered mentholated Vick's salve - good for stuffy noses.

Polyb covered vitamin C - might help if you are somehow deficient in Vitamin-C. Perhaps a multivitamin supplement with Zn.

Grace covered Echinacea and zinc - some cold remedies offer these.

Monqiue covered ginger root - I use it as Monqiue suggested grate and boil. Add some honey and perhaps lemon (or grapefruit, orange) juice - preferably fresh squeezed.

http://www.celestialseasonings.com/index_nofl.php :

• Echinacea Complete CareTM Wellness Tea
  • Echinacea Wellness Tea
  • Honey Peach Ginger Wellness Tea

For my family, I make the tea and then add honey and perhaps lemon or cranberry.

BTW, in addition to the flu, there are some rather nasty cold viruses circulating in the US and abroad at the present time. Everyone should get flu shots. My sister, who is a pediatrician, mentioned a study which indicates that 10 years of flu shots may provide improved cardio-pulmonary health, particularly in women in later years. I am trying to track down the study.

You've missed the most important remedy of the lot:

Smith's Universal Cure
  • One big mug
  • Double measure cheap Scotch whisky
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 1tsp lemon juice
  • Fill to brim with hot water

Im sorry brewnog but your wrong on that one, almost right but not. Scratch the hot water and make that hot milk. Works a treat i don't know if its an Irish remedie but it was my uncle who gave it to me when i was about 6 or 7 and i think it worked, can't remember too well though.

Doesn't the lemon juice curdle the milk? Or is that the point?

You shouldn't be drinking milk when you have a cold. It increases phlegm production.

My family used to give us kids the same stuff (without the water) as a cough syrup when we had colds. Cleared out our noses REAL good and then knocked us out COLD! :rofl:

I feel extremely tiny saying this, with all old timers of physics forums around.. :cry:

Get well, evo.

My poor Evo !
I am focusing positive waves towards your direction. Let me know if it helps ! :smile:

Awww, thanks everyone! I will start trying out some of the remedies. All of you have been so nice! :approve: :smile: GD people are the NICEST people in the world. :approve:

As sick as I am I had to drive out to see a client just as a huge snowstorm hit. :grumpy: I just got home. I'm glad to say I'm not one of the dozens of people I passed up that had slid into a ditch.

I need to go blow my nose and take some medicine now. :yuck:

Sleep, lots of sleep. Though if you are having trouble breathing that can be difficult. :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:
Good night Evo...and get better soon.

Evo, hope you get better soon. And just in case...here's a bucketful of codeine for you.

Moonbear said:
See, Evo, even after you so mercilessly rejected polyb, he's still here by your bedside watching out for you while sick. You're giving up a good thing here. :approve:

Of course she is, moonbear, but that is because she is SICK! :rofl: Oh well, actually I am quite used to (I really wonder about that phrase) rejection, I expect it quite often. That is because I am not of the socio-economic status to be considered a viable bachelor. I also expect the heartache and pain most woman display when men pull their nonsense, I've seen it a hundred times. Oh well, none-the-less, I go on regardless and I'll always try to make to best of this insane world either by myself or with companions when I can find or afford them! C'est la vie, c'est guerre!

Concerning the vit C thing, I had a friend who swore by it. One time when he was sick he ate so much vit C that his tongue turned black! :rofl: :tongue2: :rofl:

Gokul43201 said:
Evo, hope you get better soon. And just in case...here's a bucketful of codeine for you.
:!) Bless you! :!)

Chicken soup and herbal remedies are nice, but for sinus pain, only hard drugs will do. :approve:

Hmm, I thought the scorched Earth approach to sinuses was industrial-strength horseradish... :tongue2:

Green Is Our Evo

Oh green is our Evo – now laid low –
aye, and virus unseen and hurrying snow conspire
her sense and perception to blur.
But by Pony Express and CSTP,* tokens of
 sympathy
arrive, courtesy of PFers –
each for their Evo distraught –
 come and see: homemade broth,
 ginger tea, a one-twenty proof leech!
And we say:
"We insist now, it's time that you rest: no protests!
 — and no stress
(already green, going out was quite bad,
 what if you'd gone plaid?)
A nest of pillows and quilts — make a heap —
Curl up with the cat" — I'm sure he'll oblige,
 yea, and purr our Evo to sleep.

* CSTP = Chicken Soup Transfer Protocol

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
My sister, who is a pediatrician, mentioned a study which indicates that 10 years of flu shots may provide improved cardio-pulmonary health, particularly in women in later years.
of course this is no help to a young woman like yourself Evo, but keep a copy for your records and you can check back on it somewhere in the distant future when it is applicable.

To Astronuc :mad:
Bladibla said:
I feel extremely tiny saying this, with all old timers of physics forums around..

Get well, evo.
Who gave you permision to speak?

Poor Evo :frown: come to :!) Daddy .

Back