Don't close this please i beg you

• Thread starter chickenguy
  • Start date
In summary, a poll was conducted on the topic of whether .999... equals 1, but the results were not entirely accurate due to the audience's level of knowledge. There is a proof that shows this statement to be true using Analysis, and a reference for this can be found in various Analysis texts.

do you think that 0.999...=1

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Unsure

• Don't know what u mean

• Total voters
chickenguy
Pleas Answer the POll and don't close the thread as my project is due very very soon

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Fine. I voted "this is pointless" because you are trying to take a vote on something that is either true or false, and it happens to be TRUE. There is no doubt or controversy about it, so it doesn't make a very good project topic. I'm sorry to say it, but you should be looking into something else.

... unless the project is making a point of how unknown this TRUE fact is. Because personally I think it's rather interesting how many people would deny that .999... = 1. My only argument would be that to poll people from the Physics Forums, especially in the General Math section, is a bit innacurate as the voters are obviously more informed on the subject than the average person.

I few years ago there was a similar poll on Anatech forums. The result of over a 1000 votes was split about 60 - 40 with 40% getting it right.

Could anyone please put in any proofs to this thread and could you please explain this?

One can show that this limit is 9/10 + 9/100 + 9/1000 ... using Analysis, and a proof really isn't all that hard (we all believe it intuitively anyway); a reference can be found in any of the Analysis texts referenced at the end of this message. Then all we have left to do is show that this sum really does equal 1:

Proof: 0.9999... = Sum 9/10^n
(n=1 -> Infinity)

= lim sum 9/10^n
(m -> Infinity) (n=1 -> m)

= lim .9(1-10^-(m+1))/(1-1/10)
(m -> Infinity)

= lim .9(1-10^-(m+1))/(9/10)
(m -> Infinity)

= .9/(9/10)

= 1

1. Why are you begging me not to close this?

The phrase "Don't close this please, I beg you" is often used to convey urgency or importance. It may suggest that the information being presented is valuable or that the person asking does not want to miss out on an opportunity.

2. Is there a specific reason I shouldn't close this?

There may be a variety of reasons why someone would ask you not to close something. It could be because they want to share important information, they need your help, or they want to make sure you have all the necessary information before making a decision.

3. What happens if I do close it?

If you choose to close the information being presented, you may miss out on important information or an opportunity. However, ultimately it is your decision to make.

4. Can you provide more context or information about why I shouldn't close this?

Without more specific information, it is difficult to say why you shouldn't close the information being presented. It is always good to ask for more details or clarification if you are unsure about something.

5. Why should I listen to your request not to close this?

As a scientist, I may have specific knowledge or expertise that could be helpful to you in understanding the information being presented. However, ultimately the decision to close or not close something is up to you.