3 Non-Identical Particle System

In summary, The conversation revolves around finding the energy levels and their degeneracies for a system of three non-identical spin one-half particles governed by the Hamiltonian H=A s1(dot)s2 + B (s1+s2)(dot)s3. The homework discusses constructing a function where psi=(phi1)(phi2)(phi3) and applying the Hamiltonian <psi(H)psi>=E. The confusion lies in dealing with generalized operators and the spin operators being specified. A and B are general constants and no further information about the dimension of the space is given.
sn1986j

Homework Statement

A system of three non-identical spin one-half particles, whose spin operators are (vectors) s1, s2, s3, is governed by the Hamiltonian

H=A s1(dot)s2 + B (s1+s2)(dot)s3

Find the energy levels and their degeneracies.

Homework Equations

psi=(phi1)(phi2)(phi3)
Hphi=Ephi

The Attempt at a Solution

As non identical particles, I realize that I have to construct a function where psi=(phi1)(phi2)(phi3) and then apply the hamiltonian <psi(H)psi>=E. My problem is that I am having a hard time dealing with generalized operators. Normally, spin operators are given as hbar/2 time the respective pauli matrix. So in this case, are my spin operators still functions of the pauli matrices? How do I denote different states for each vector and how do I apply the spin operators without them being specified? I am very confused.

Also, I am unsure as to what A and B are - are they specific values/functions? or are they just general constants?

Physics news on Phys.org
A and B are general constants. What is the dimension of the space in which the Hamiltonian is a linear operator ?

I wasn't given any more information than I wrote above

1. What is a "3 Non-Identical Particle System"?

A "3 Non-Identical Particle System" refers to a system of three particles that are not identical in terms of their mass, charge, or other physical properties. This type of system is commonly studied in quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics.

2. How is a "3 Non-Identical Particle System" different from a "3 Identical Particle System"?

In a "3 Identical Particle System", all three particles have the same mass, charge, and other physical properties. This means that they can be indistinguishable from each other and are subject to different laws of quantum mechanics. In contrast, a "3 Non-Identical Particle System" has particles with different properties and must be treated as distinguishable entities.

3. What are some examples of "3 Non-Identical Particle Systems"?

One example is a system of three different atoms, such as hydrogen, helium, and lithium. Another example is a system of three different particles, such as a proton, neutron, and electron. These systems can also be found in nuclear reactions and in the study of subatomic particles.

4. How do scientists study "3 Non-Identical Particle Systems"?

Scientists use mathematical models and equations, such as the Schrödinger equation, to describe the behavior of "3 Non-Identical Particle Systems". They also use experimental techniques, such as particle accelerators and detectors, to observe and measure the properties of these systems.

5. What are the implications of studying "3 Non-Identical Particle Systems"?

Understanding the behavior of "3 Non-Identical Particle Systems" is crucial in various fields of physics, such as quantum mechanics, nuclear physics, and astrophysics. It can also have practical applications in technology, such as in developing new materials and improving energy production processes.