Unclear approximation in demonstration regarding neutrino oscillations

In summary, the equation involving only one momentum is due to the translation symmetry of the particle in the beam.
Daaavde
I'm stucked in a passage of Particle Physics (Martin B., Shaw G.) in page 41 regarding neutrino oscillations.

Having defined [itex]E_i[/itex] and [itex]E_j[/itex] as the energies of the eigenstates [itex]\nu_i[/itex] and [itex]\nu_j[/itex], we have:

[itex]E_i - E_j = \sqrt{m^2_i - p^2} - \sqrt{m^2_j - p^2} \approx \frac{m^2_i - m^2_j}{2p}[/itex]

It can be useful to know that here natural units are used ([itex]c=1[/itex]) and that the masses of the neutrino are considered much smaller than their momenta ([itex]m << p[/itex])
Still, I can't understand where the [itex]\frac{m^2_i - m^2_j}{2p}[/itex] comes from.

Does anyone have any idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]E_i - E_j = \sqrt{m^2_i + p^2} - \sqrt{m^2_j + p^2} \approx \frac{m^2_i - m^2_j}{2p}[/tex]

since up to the second order:

[tex]\sqrt{m^2 + p^2} \approx p + \frac{m^2}{2 p} [/tex]

I just don't understand why the formula involves only one momentum.
Why is it not:

[tex]E_i - E_j = \sqrt{m^2_i + p_i^2} - \sqrt{m^2_j + p_j^2} \approx p_i - p_j + \frac{m^2_i - m^2_j}{2p}[/tex]

Any idea?

Last edited:
because you consider that the only difference in energies comes from the mass differences - or in other words you consider [itex]p_{i}=p_{j}[/itex] (momentum conservation).

But I don't see how that is defined by the supposed experimental setup.
Or is it simply because of the translation symmetry along the beam?

Along this line, which symmetry would imply rest mass conservation?

I don't think it's a symmetry...
I think it has to do with the fact that the momentum is described by the flavor and not by the mass eigenstates...
in other words, when you expand a flavor eigenstate:
[itex] v_{f}[/itex] it has to have some momentum [itex]p[/itex]
then the expanded ones should keep the same momentum...and all the differences are supposed to come from the masses

I'm sorry, but something is missing for me.

If we expand, we get: [itex]\sqrt{m^2 + p^2} + m \frac{2m}{2\sqrt{m^2 + p^2}}[/itex]

and considering [itex]p>>m[/itex]: [itex]p + \frac{m^2}{p}[/itex]

So, I'm missing the factor 2 next to [itex]p[/itex].

Use the first two terms of a binomial expansion for the last line of

$$\begin{align}
\sqrt{m^2 + p^2} &= p \sqrt{1 + \frac{m^2}{p^2}} \\
&= p \left(1 + \frac{m^2}{p^2}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}
\end{align}$$

1. What are neutrino oscillations?

Neutrino oscillations refer to the phenomenon where neutrinos, which are subatomic particles, can change from one type to another as they travel through space. This is due to their unique property of having mass and being able to interact with each other.

2. Why is the approximation of neutrino oscillations in demonstrations unclear?

The approximation of neutrino oscillations in demonstrations can be unclear because it is a complex phenomenon that involves mathematical calculations and theoretical models. It is also constantly evolving as scientists continue to study and understand neutrinos.

3. How do scientists demonstrate neutrino oscillations?

Scientists demonstrate neutrino oscillations by conducting experiments using large particle accelerators and detectors. These experiments involve shooting a beam of neutrinos and observing how they change as they travel through different materials.

4. What are the implications of neutrino oscillations?

The discovery of neutrino oscillations has significant implications for our understanding of fundamental physics and the Standard Model. It also has potential applications in technologies such as nuclear reactors and medical imaging.

5. What are some current areas of research in neutrino oscillations?

Some current areas of research in neutrino oscillations include studying the properties of different types of neutrinos, determining the exact mechanism behind neutrino oscillations, and exploring potential effects on the universe such as dark matter and the matter-antimatter asymmetry.