Problem involving circular movement and friction.

In summary, the Acela train uses tilt of the cars to provide the centripetal acceleration, which reduces the friction force against the passengers.
anightlikethis
Amtrak's high speed train, the Acela, utilizes tilt of the cars when negotiating curves. The angle of tilt is adjusted so that the main force exerted on the passengers, to provide the centripetal acceleration, is the normal force. The passengers experience less friction force against the seat, thus feeling more comfortable. Consider an Acela train that rounds a curve with a radius of 600 m at a speed of 160 km/h (approximately 100 mi/h).
a)Calculate the friction force needed on a train passenger of mass 75 kg if the track is not banked and the train does not tilt.
b) Calculate the friction force on the passenger if the train tilts to its maximum tilt of 8° toward the center of the curve.

I figured out the answer to A which is 247.31 N, but I B is confusing me. I would think that in order to find the friction i would need the coefficient of friction. Do they want static or kinetic friction? The only equations I have related to friction are: Kinetic friction = uk*Fn and Maximum friction=us*Fn. However, I think that this equation has something to do with the equation for when no friction is required Fnsintheta=m(v^2/r)but I'm not sure how.

Physics news on Phys.org
anightlikethis said:
Amtrak's high speed train, the Acela, utilizes tilt of the cars when negotiating curves. The angle of tilt is adjusted so that the main force exerted on the passengers, to provide the centripetal acceleration, is the normal force. The passengers experience less friction force against the seat, thus feeling more comfortable. Consider an Acela train that rounds a curve with a radius of 600 m at a speed of 160 km/h (approximately 100 mi/h).
a)Calculate the friction force needed on a train passenger of mass 75 kg if the track is not banked and the train does not tilt.
b) Calculate the friction force on the passenger if the train tilts to its maximum tilt of 8° toward the center of the curve.

I figured out the answer to A which is 247.31 N, but I B is confusing me. I would think that in order to find the friction i would need the coefficient of friction. Do they want static or kinetic friction? The only equations I have related to friction are: Kinetic friction = uk*Fn and Maximum friction=us*Fn. However, I think that this equation has something to do with the equation for when no friction is required Fnsintheta=m(v^2/r)but I'm not sure how.
But you nicely calculated the friction force necessary in part a without having to know us or uk, so why do you feel you need it in part B? You're on the right track with your equation, but the friction force also contributes to the centripetal force. Draw a good FBD and identify all forces and force components.

The centripetal force is provided by both normal force and friction. Thus, consider the horizontal component of both normal and friction force, which the total will be the centripetal force.

Thanks, that was very helpful

1. What is the relationship between circular movement and friction?

Circular movement and friction are closely related as friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object in a circular path. In order for an object to maintain its circular motion, it must constantly overcome the frictional force acting on it.

2. How does the coefficient of friction affect circular movement?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the how easily two surfaces slide against each other. In circular motion, a higher coefficient of friction between the object and its surroundings will result in a greater resistance to the circular motion and require more force to maintain it.

3. How do you calculate the centripetal force in a problem involving circular movement and friction?

The formula for centripetal force in a circular motion with friction is Fc = mv^2/r + µmg, where m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, r is the radius of the circular path, µ is the coefficient of friction, and g is the gravitational acceleration.

4. What factors can affect the amount of friction in a circular motion problem?

The amount of friction in a circular motion problem can be affected by the surface materials, the speed and direction of the object, the normal force between the object and the surface, and the temperature of the surfaces.

5. How can friction be reduced in a problem involving circular movement?

Friction can be reduced in a problem involving circular movement by using a smoother surface material, reducing the speed or changing the direction of the object's motion, increasing the distance between the object and its surroundings, and applying lubricants to the surfaces.