Prove that of sum square root of 2 and square root of 3 is not rational

In summary, a rational number is a number that can be expressed as the quotient or fraction of two integers. To prove that the sum of \(\sqrt{2}\) and \(\sqrt{3}\) is not rational, we use a proof by contradiction and show that the assumption that \(\sqrt{2} + \sqrt{3}\) is rational leads to a contradiction. This proof is significant in demonstrating the irrationality of a specific mathematical expression and is important in understanding the properties of irrational numbers.
transgalactic
prove that the square root of 2 plus the square root of 3 is not rational?

does always the sum of two not rational numbers is a not rational number?

i know the proof 2 = a^2/b^2
i separately proved that square root of 2 and square root of 3 are irrational

how two prove that the sum of two such numbers is irrational too?

whats the formal equation proof?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
transgalactic said:
prove that the square root of 2 plus the square root of 3 is not rational?

does always the sum of two not rational numbers is a not rational number?

i know the proof 2 = a^2/b^2
i separately proved that square root of 2 and square root of 3 are irrational

how two prove that the sum of two such numbers is irrational too?

whats the formal equation proof?

Try a proof by contradiction. Suppose that [tex]\sqrt{2} + \sqrt{3} = \frac{a}{b}[/tex]
where a and b are integers with no common factors.

For your second question [tex]\sqrt{5} + (-\sqrt{5}) = 0 [/tex]
Those are both irrational numbers, but their sum is rational.

Well clearly two irrational numbers can sum to give a rational number. For example (2+sqrt(2)) + (2 -sqrt(2)).

To show that the sqrt(2) + sqrt(3) is irrational, you can start with
a = sqrt(2) + sqrt(3)
Manipulate to get
a^4 - 10a^2 + 1 = 0

Then you can use the rational roots theorem, that shows that the only rational roots of this equation can be +- 1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_root_theorem

Mark44 said:
For your second question [tex]\sqrt{5} + (-\sqrt{5}) = 0 [/tex]
Those are both irrational numbers, but their sum is rational.

Somehow, that just seems like cheating, but it does fit the problem we were given.

Chaos2009 said:
Somehow, that just seems like cheating, but it does fit the problem we were given.

Any mathematical statement can be disproved by a counterexample. The simpler the counterexample, the better.

ok i will try to prove by contradiction:
suppose
(2)^0.5 + (3)^0.5 is a rational number
(if we multiply a rational number by a rational number we will get a rational number "h")
5+2*(2)^0.5 * (3)^0.5=h
24=h^2 -10*h +25

h^2 -10*h +1=0
what to do now?

As I suggested earlier, make use of the rational roots theorem.

by this rational roots theorem
the possible roots is +1 and -1

not one of the represent the actual roots of h^2 -10*h +1=0

what is the next step in the prove?

You don't need anything but parity to prove this.

Prove

[tex]\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3} = (p/q)[/tex]
[tex]2 \sqrt{6}+5 = p^{2}/q^{2}[/tex]

You know that the rationals form a field, which implies all the terms in the sum must be a rational.

Now all that remains is to show [tex]\sqrt{6}[/tex] is irrational. So just show that if it equals p/q, p and q must both be even.

Last edited by a moderator:
transgalactic said:
ok i will try to prove by contradiction:
suppose
(2)^0.5 + (3)^0.5 is a rational number
(if we multiply a rational number by a rational number we will get a rational number "h")
5+2*(2)^0.5 * (3)^0.5=h
24=h^2 -10*h +25

h^2 -10*h +1=0
what to do now?

the root test showed me that there is no rational roots for this equation.
is it fair to consider "h" irrational because of it?

i was told that if we don't have a rational roots it doesn't mean that
"h" is always irrational,"h" could be a complex number.

??

If a number is complex, it certainly isn't a rational number. If h^2 - 10h + 1 = 0 doesn't have any rational roots, then there is no solution for h that is rational.

Last edited:
you meant "irrational" (in the end) right?

I edited my reply. The last part should have said "there is no solution that is rational."

nicksauce said:
Well clearly two irrational numbers can sum to give a rational number. For example (2+sqrt(2)) + (2 -sqrt(2)).

To show that the sqrt(2) + sqrt(3) is irrational, you can start with
a = sqrt(2) + sqrt(3)
Manipulate to get
a^4 - 10a^2 + 1 = 0

Then you can use the rational roots theorem, that shows that the only rational roots of this equation can be +- 1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_root_theorem

how did you arrive at a^4 - 10a^2 + 1 = 0?
need help

Well since we've already summoned this thread from the grave...
jay17 said:
how did you arrive at a^4 - 10a^2 + 1 = 0?
need help

[tex]a=\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}[/tex]

[tex]a^2=(\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3})^2=2+2\sqrt{2}\sqrt{3}+3=5+2\sqrt{6}[/tex]

[tex](a^2-5)^2=(2\sqrt{6})^2[/tex]

[tex]a^4-10a^2+25=24[/tex]

[tex]a^4-10a^2+1=0[/tex]

What is a Rational Number?

A rational number is a number that can be expressed as the quotient or fraction of two integers, where the denominator is not zero. In other words, a number \(x\) is rational if it can be written in the form \(x = \frac{a}{b}\), where \(a\) and \(b\) are integers and \(b\) is not equal to zero.

How can we prove that the sum of \(\sqrt{2}\) and \(\sqrt{3}\) is not rational?

To prove that the sum of \(\sqrt{2}\) and \(\sqrt{3}\) is not a rational number, we will use a proof by contradiction. We will assume that the sum \(\sqrt{2} + \sqrt{3}\) is rational and then show that this assumption leads to a contradiction.

1. Assume that \(\sqrt{2} + \sqrt{3}\) is rational: Let's assume that \(\sqrt{2} + \sqrt{3}\) is a rational number, which means it can be expressed as \(\sqrt{2} + \sqrt{3} = \frac{a}{b}\), where \(a\) and \(b\) are integers with no common factors other than 1 (\(a\) and \(b\) are coprime).
  2. Square both sides of the equation: Square both sides of the equation \(\sqrt{2} + \sqrt{3} = \frac{a}{b}\) to eliminate the square roots: \[(\sqrt{2} + \sqrt{3})^2 = \left(\frac{a}{b}\right)^2\]
  3. Expand and simplify the left side: On the left side, use the distributive property and simplify: \[(\sqrt{2} + \sqrt{3})^2 = 2 + 2\sqrt{6} + 3 = 5 + 2\sqrt{6}\]
  4. Write the right side as a fraction: On the right side, square \(\frac{a}{b}\) to get \(\left(\frac{a}{b}\right)^2 = \frac{a^2}{b^2}\).
  5. Equate the expressions: Equate the left side and the right side: \[5 + 2\sqrt{6} = \frac{a^2}{b^2}\]
  6. Isolate the radical term: Isolate the term with the square root on the left side: \[2\sqrt{6} = \frac{a^2}{b^2} - 5\]
  7. Square both sides again: Square both sides of the equation to eliminate the square root: \[(2\sqrt{6})^2 = \left(\frac{a^2}{b^2} - 5\right)^2\]
  8. Simplify the left side: On the left side, simplify \(2\sqrt{6} \cdot 2\sqrt{6} = 24\).
  9. Expand and simplify the right side: On the right side, expand and simplify \(\left(\frac{a^2}{b^2} - 5\right)^2\).
  10. Arrive at a contradiction: The equation will lead to a contradiction because the left side is 24 (an even number), and the right side will not be an even number since \(a\) and \(b\) are coprime, and \(a^2\) and \(b^2\) do not share any common factors. This contradiction arises from the initial assumption that \(\sqrt{2} + \sqrt{3}\) is rational.

Since the assumption that \(\sqrt{2} + \sqrt{3}\) is rational leads to a contradiction, we conclude that \(\sqrt{2} + \sqrt{3}\) is not a rational number. It is an irrational number.

Why is this proof important?

This proof is significant because it demonstrates the irrationality of a specific mathematical expression, \(\sqrt{2} + \sqrt{3}\), using a proof by contradiction. Understanding the properties of irrational numbers and how to prove them is fundamental in mathematics and has applications in various mathematical fields, including number theory and algebra.