How to prove a set is unbounded

• Thread starter happybear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an unbounded set and how it applies to a set of continuous functions from [a, b] to R. The distance function is defined as d(f, g) = max_{a≤x≤b} |f(x)-g(x)| and the goal is to prove the unboundedness of the set, rather than the boundedness of individual functions within the set. The conversation also clarifies that the set in question is the set of continuous functions from [a, b] to R.
happybear

Homework Statement

Suppose I have a set E that contains all continuous function f from [a,b] --> R, I think this is unbounded, but can I prove it?

Homework Equations

d(f1,f2)= sup{f1(x)-f2(x)}

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to show |d(f1,f2)|>M for some M, but I don't know if this is the right direction and how to do it

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A set is "unbounded" if, for any positive number A, there exist point p and q in the set such that d(p,q)> A. That, of course, depends on how you measure "distance"- d(p,q).
What is your definition of d(f, g) for f and g in the set of continuous functions from [a, b] to R?

(What ever your d(f,g) is, consider the functions fn(x)= n. for n= 1, 2, 3, ...)

But there are no definition of f, that is the point. F will be any continuous function from [a,b] to R. Can I prove this set is infinite?

If you think that it is false, you can provide a counterexample.

So, if [tex] f : [a, b] \to R [/tex] and let A = [a, b] is bounded, is it necessarily true that f(A) is bounded?

happybear said:
But there are no definition of f, that is the point. F will be any continuous function from [a,b] to R. Can I prove this set is infinite?
Do you mean d, the distance function? There has to be a definition of distance in order to talk about "bounded" or "unbounded". And you don't want to prove the set is infinite (that's trivial), you want to prove it is unbounded, a completely different thing.

Is it possible that you are talking about the set of continuous functions from [a,b] to R? For that, the distance function is most commonly [itex]d(f, g)= \max_{a\le x\le b} |f(x)- g(x)|[/itex].

konthelion said:
If you think that it is false, you can provide a counterexample.

So, if [tex] f : [a, b] \to R [/tex] and let A = [a, b] is bounded, is it necessarily true that f(A) is bounded?
The problem was not to prove that functions in the set are bounded but that the set itself is.

HallsofIvy said:
Is it possible that you are talking about the set of continuous functions from [a,b] to R? For that, the distance function is most commonly [itex]d(f, g)= \max_{a\le x\le b} |f(x)- g(x)|[/itex].
Yes. That is what I meant. And what I want to show is that there are infinitely many functions of f. That is how I interpret the question, since they ask if the set is unbounded. Or do I misunderstand it

1. How do you define an unbounded set?

An unbounded set is a set that does not have any finite upper or lower limit. This means that the elements in the set can increase or decrease without bound.

2. What is the difference between an unbounded set and a bounded set?

A bounded set has a finite upper and lower limit, while an unbounded set does not have any finite limit.

3. How do you prove that a set is unbounded?

To prove that a set is unbounded, you need to show that there is no finite upper or lower limit to the values in the set. This can be done by either finding a sequence of values in the set that increases or decreases without bound, or by showing that for any given number, there exists a value in the set that is greater or smaller than that number.

4. Can a set be both bounded and unbounded?

No, a set cannot be both bounded and unbounded. It can only be one or the other.

5. How is the concept of unboundedness used in mathematics?

The concept of unboundedness is used in various areas of mathematics, such as calculus, real analysis, and topology. It is often used to describe functions or sets that have infinite or undefined values, and is important in understanding the behavior and properties of these mathematical objects.