Proton vs Neutron: Mass Comparison

In summary, the neutron is about 0.2% more massive than a proton, which translates to an energy difference of 1.29 MeV. This is surprising because the mass difference is 2.5 times that of an electron, which was expected to be much lower. The added mass of the electron and proton are close to the mass of the neutron, and this phenomenon can be explained by the bonding energy between particles. The concept of a neutron being made up of a proton and electron is incorrect and lacks evidence.
colinr
isn't a neutron more massive thatn a proton?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is. Free neutrons are even unstable and decay with a lifetime of something like 12min. To my big surprise, when I looked it up, the mass-difference was much more than I expected: 2.5 times the mass of an electron (I expected not much more than the electron mass).

The neutron is about 0.2% more massive than a proton, which translates to an energy difference of 1.29 MeV. I believe that the added mass of the electron plus the proton equals very close to the mass of the neutron.

Atheist said:
It is. Free neutrons are even unstable and decay with a lifetime of something like 12min. To my big surprise, when I looked it up, the mass-difference was much more than I expected: 2.5 times the mass of an electron (I expected not much more than the electron mass).

This is impossible, the mass of the proton is 1.67262158 × 10-27 kilograms, while the mass of the electron is 9.10938188 × 10-31 kilograms. This means that the proton has a mass more than 10^4 times that of the electron.

How come when a proton turns into a neutron (as in nuclear fusion in the Sun) it gives out energy AND gains in mass, where does all the extra energy come from

Masses given for particles are the masses of free particles. When particles bond together the created particle can have a lower mass than the sum of the constituents (to some extend one can even see this as the reason why stable bound states exist). The mass-difference is called the bonding energy.

@ArmoSkater: You seem to have mistaken my 1st post.

ArmoSkater87 said:
This is impossible, the mass of the proton is 1.67262158 × 10-27 kilograms, while the mass of the electron is 9.10938188 × 10-31 kilograms. This means that the proton has a mass more than 10^4 times that of the electron.

I think he means that he thought the difference in mass between a neutron and a proton would be close to the mass of an electron.

What, the *** are you guys talking about ?

regards
marlon

They are trying to make us swallow that a neutron = a proton + an electron :tongue2:

Based upon what evidence ?

What is the underlying theory here ...

regards
marlon

That would simply be wrong.

1. What is the difference in mass between a proton and a neutron?

The mass of a proton is approximately 1 atomic mass unit (amu), while the mass of a neutron is slightly greater at 1.008 amu. This means that a neutron is slightly heavier than a proton.

2. How do protons and neutrons contribute to the overall mass of an atom?

Protons and neutrons make up the majority of the mass in an atom. The number of protons and neutrons in an atom determines its atomic mass, which is the combined mass of all the particles in the nucleus.

3. Can protons and neutrons change into one another?

No, protons and neutrons cannot change into one another. They are different types of particles with different properties, and their conversion is not possible according to the laws of physics.

4. How do the masses of protons and neutrons compare to the mass of an electron?

The mass of an electron is significantly smaller than that of a proton or neutron. In fact, the mass of an electron is approximately 1/1836 of the mass of a proton. This means that protons and neutrons have almost 2000 times more mass than an electron.

5. Is the mass of a proton and neutron constant?

The mass of a proton and neutron can vary slightly depending on the element they belong to. This is due to the presence of different numbers of subatomic particles, such as quarks and gluons, within the particles. However, within a specific element, the mass of a proton and neutron remain constant.