Surface integral to Lateral integral?

In summary, Guass's theorem can be used to simplify an angle-independent surface integral if the relative angle and field strength don't change.
KingBigness

Homework Statement

I have some working out my lecture gave me to a problem and I don't think I understand part of it. Hoping you could help me.

It's using Gauss' Law to find the capacitance of a cylindrical capacitor of length L but this information shouldn't matter for my question.

[itex]\lambda=\frac{∂q}{∂l}[/itex]

[itex]\oint E \bullet \Delta A = \frac{\sum q}{\epsilon}[/itex]

He then jumps to.

[itex]E \int \Delta A = \frac{\lambda L}{\epsilon}[/itex]

First question, how does he go from the surface integral to the normal integral? Has it got anything to do with removing the dot product?

He then changes
[itex]E \int \Delta A[/itex] to E(2πrL)

I understand this is taking the integral of dA which becomes A, which is the area of a circle, hence 2πr, but how does he then bring the L into play...would this not be the Volume, not the area?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
could it be that E is constant in the integral and always makes the same angle with the surface normal?

This is generally the best way to make use of Guass's theorem - exploit the symmetry of the problem to simplify any integrals

lanedance said:
could it be that E is constant in the integral and always makes the same angle with the surface normal?

This is generally the best way to make use of Guass's theorem - exploit the symmetry of the problem to simplify any integrals

So when an angle doesn't change a surface integral can be turned into a lateral integral?
Sorry I haven't done much study on surface integrals so I don't know a lot about them. I'll look into them.

so if the relative angle, and field strength both don't change the scalar result of the vector dot product is just EdA, everywhere over the surface. As E is constant, the integral is just E.A

lanedance said:
so if the relative angle, and field strength both don't change the scalar result of the vector dot product is just EdA, everywhere over the surface. As E is constant, the integral is just E.A

Perfect sense, thanks so much for that

1. What is a surface integral and how is it different from a lateral integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to find the flux (flow) of a vector field over a curved surface. It is similar to a double integral, but with an additional parameter for the surface orientation. A lateral integral, on the other hand, is used to find the area under a curve on a flat plane. The main difference is that a surface integral is performed over a 3-dimensional surface, while a lateral integral is performed over a 2-dimensional plane.

2. What is the formula for calculating a surface integral?

The formula for calculating a surface integral is:
∫∫S F(x,y,z) dS = ∫∫D F(x(u,v),y(u,v),z(u,v)) ||∂(x,y,z)/∂(u,v)|| dA
Where F(x,y,z) is the vector field, S is the surface, D is the parameter domain of the surface, x(u,v), y(u,v), and z(u,v) are the parametric equations of the surface, and ||∂(x,y,z)/∂(u,v)|| is the magnitude of the partial derivatives of the parametric equations.

3. What are some real-world applications of surface integrals?

Surface integrals have many real-world applications, such as calculating the flow of fluid through a pipe, the amount of heat transfer over a curved surface, and the electric flux through a closed surface. They are also used in computer graphics to calculate the amount of light that hits a curved surface, and in engineering to analyze stress and strain on a 3-dimensional object.

4. How is the orientation of the surface important in a surface integral?

The orientation of the surface is important in a surface integral because it determines the direction of the flow or flux being calculated. The surface can be oriented in two ways - inward or outward - depending on the direction of the normal vector at each point. The orientation must be specified in the surface integral formula to get an accurate result.

5. Can a surface integral be calculated without using parametric equations?

Yes, a surface integral can be calculated without using parametric equations by using a special type of surface called a graph surface. A graph surface can be defined by a function of two variables, such as z = f(x,y). In this case, the surface integral formula simplifies to:
∫∫S F(x,y,z) dS = ∫∫D F(x,y,f(x,y)) √(1+∂f/∂x)^2 + (∂f/∂y)^2 + 1) dA
Where D is the parameter domain of the graph surface and ∂f/∂x and ∂f/∂y are the partial derivatives of the function.