Voltage to Voltage converter design

In summary, you are looking for a voltage to voltage converter for use with an high-power amplifier that requires a voltage range of +/-5V to +/-15V. You can find a suitable design at http://www.tracopower.com/products/dc-dc-converters/general-purpose/.
mathish
Hi all,

I need a voltage to voltage converter design(circuit) from DC +/-5V to +/-15V

Thanks...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks for letting us know.

(Was there a question?)

mathish said:
Hi all,

I need a voltage to voltage converter design(circuit) from DC +/-5V to +/-15V
Hello mathish. I see you are new to physics forums. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/4219/welcomelj.gif [Broken]

Circuits to do this task can be complicated if you require heavy currents. What maximum current are you needing of each polarity? Do the voltages need to be regulated? What sort of supply do you have that provides the +5v and -5v?

Enjoy your time here on the forums. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
The simplest design is to use a single component.

http://www.tracopower.com/products/dc-dc-converters/general-purpose/

But maybe that is considered cheating?

I had seen some LM series based dc -dc converter circuits for supply voltage of 70MHz high speed amplifier with the input current rating of 8.5 mA.is this suitable for this one ..If anybody know the answer for this one ..
Plz suggest for ur ideas...

mathish said:
I had seen some LM series based dc -dc converter circuits for supply voltage of 70MHz high speed amplifier with the input current rating of 8.5 mA.is this suitable for this one ..If anybody know the answer for this one ..

What's the question?

You've not specified what you need it for, nor whether you're asking for directions to a suitable design, nor shown your own efforts to find such a design, nor have begun by discussing variations required for your particular application, which would require the following matters in any case;

a) if you are referring to +/- split supplies or whether you actually mean +DC/0
b) you've not specified the current requirement you need to meet
c) you've not qualified the voltage quality you need
d) you'e not specified if you need floating, or DC de-coupled, or other type of output
e) you've not even specified if the output can be 15VAC.

mathish said:
I had seen some LM series based dc -dc converter circuits for supply voltage of 70MHz high speed amplifier with the input current rating of 8.5 mA.is this suitable for this one
I'm not sure to what that "8.5mA" applies. 70MHz amplifiers are not rated at mA of input, and it would be an extremely low-powered dc-dc converter to be limited to loads not exceeding 8.5mA. Maybe you mean that the amplifier drew just 8.5mA average current from the supply?

But as you have not indicated what you need the dc-dc converter to do, no one here will be able to advise much.

A question well stated is half answered.
The folks aren't being mean, just they're puzzled.
Perhaps English is not your first language?

How much current do you seek ?

An internet search on "charge pump" will take you to numerous "how to do it" articles and suitable devices.

A google search on "DC to DC converter" will take you to many sites wanting to sell you one.

old jim

What drives your original dc voltage source? My guess is that it will be some kind of mains device, so instead of going 240 VAC to + /- 5 VDC to +/- 15 VDC go 240 VAC to +/- 15 VDC.

Are you looking for a tracking split power supply design with positive and negative outputs which can be adjusted between 5 volts and 15 volts?

Like this :

http://circuits.linear.com/537

http://circuits.linear.com/img/537_circuit_1.jpg

1. What is a voltage to voltage converter?

A voltage to voltage converter, also known as a voltage regulator, is an electronic circuit that converts one voltage level to another while maintaining a constant output voltage, regardless of changes in input voltage or load conditions.

2. What are the different types of voltage to voltage converters?

There are two main types of voltage to voltage converters: linear regulators and switching regulators. Linear regulators use a series pass transistor to regulate the output voltage, while switching regulators use a high-frequency switching element to regulate the output voltage.

3. How do I choose the right voltage to voltage converter for my application?

The right voltage to voltage converter depends on your specific application and requirements. Factors to consider include input and output voltage range, output current and power requirements, efficiency, and cost.

4. What are the key design considerations for a voltage to voltage converter?

Some key design considerations for a voltage to voltage converter include choosing the appropriate topology, selecting the right components, designing for stability and efficiency, and ensuring proper heat dissipation.

5. How do I troubleshoot and improve the performance of a voltage to voltage converter?

If a voltage to voltage converter is not performing as expected, some troubleshooting steps to take include checking for loose connections, ensuring proper grounding, and using a multimeter to measure voltages and currents. To improve performance, you can also make adjustments to the feedback network, increase input and output capacitance, or implement filtering techniques.