Is it really circular to prove the sinx/x limit with L'Hopital?

In summary, there is a limit \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{ \sin x}{x} that is often used as an example where L'Hopital's rule cannot be applied. This is because the derivative of sine, using the limit definition, requires the use of this limit in its proof. Therefore, the squeeze theorem is usually used as an alternative. However, there are other proofs for cosine being the derivative of sine, such as geometric proofs that use the area of a unit circle. These proofs do not rely on L'Hopital's rule or the limit mentioned earlier. Other definitions of sine, such as the power series or continued fraction, can also be used to prove this relationship.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
Hello,

This limit

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{ \sin x}{x}[/tex]

is often cited as being an example where L'Hopital's rule cannot be used, since to use it you'd need to differentiate sine; but the derivative of sine, using the limit definition of a derivative, requires that you use the sinx/x limit (and the 1 - cosx / x limit) as part of the proof. So, we'd end up with a circular proof here, and thus we'd have to use the squeeze theorem as the alternative. But what struck me is if that is really the only proof that cosine is the derivative of sine? Aren't there others?

Apologies if this topic has been done to death.

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything depends on your definition of sine and cosine. If you define it as an integral or as a series, then you don't need to know the sin(x)/x limit.

First L'Hopital would not be needed as it is stronger than needed. That limit is sin'(0). As micromass said just define sine so that you can find sin'(0) and there is no problem. I just include sin'(0)=1 in the definition, problem solved. Any definition of sine will lead us to the fact that sin'(0) needs to exist and not be zero. We prefer sin'(0)=1 for simplicity though we often hide this condition as
sin(x)~x (x small)
sin'(x)=cos(x)
4Arcsin(sqrt(2)/2)=pi
but all these are equivalent to sin'(0)=1.

I don't know why high school students keep trying to use L'Hopital, these kinds of limits are really simple, my tutor taught me a method and it works every time (at least at high school level).
For example; [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{sin3x}{5x}=\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{sin3x}{3x}\times \frac{3}{5}=\frac{3}{5}[/tex]
or something harder like; [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{sinx}{x(1+cosx)}=\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{2sin\frac{x}{2}cos\frac{x}{2}}{2xcos^{2}(x/2)}=\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{tan\frac{x}{2}}{\frac{x}{2}}\times \frac{1}{2}=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

FeDeX_LaTeX said:
Hello,

This limit

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{ \sin x}{x}[/tex]

is often cited as being an example where L'Hopital's rule cannot be used, since to use it you'd need to differentiate sine; but the derivative of sine, using the limit definition of a derivative, requires that you use the sinx/x limit (and the 1 - cosx / x limit) as part of the proof. So, we'd end up with a circular proof here, and thus we'd have to use the squeeze theorem as the alternative. But what struck me is if that is really the only proof that cosine is the derivative of sine? Aren't there others?

Apologies if this topic has been done to death.

L'Hopitals Rule works here. Notice though that if you are trying to compute the derivative of the sine at zero from scratch then you can not use L'Hopital's Rule since you then assume that you already know the derivative.

I would try a geometric proof of this limit if you want to do it from scratch.

You meet the limit of sin(x)/x very early on in your studies.
It is perfectly possible to define sin(x) in such a way that application of L'Hopital won't become circular, but usually it will be, since, for example, regarding sin(x) as defined as the solution of an eigenvalue problem won't be the definition an early calculus student is equipped with.
Neither will an infinite series definition be the usual case.
----
Thus, a GEOMETRIC derivation of the limit will typically be the one non-circular proof left to the fledgling student.
----------------------
The simplest of those, in my view, is by a squeeze theorem application based on area comparisons on the unit circle, utilizing the radian measurement of angles.

An inscribed right-angled triangle has sides cos(x), sin(x), and 1, giving area cos(x)sin(x)/2.
The circular sector has area x/2
And the right-angled triangle just circumscribing that has sides 1, tan(x), 1/sec(x), with area tan(x)/2.
-----------------------------------
the limit of sin(x)/x follows easily from this, remembering that cos(x) tends to 1 as x goes to 0.

Some of the less careful geometric proofs are circular. The key point is that
lim sin(x)/x
should exist and not be zero and the scaling where it is one is chosen for convenience.

lurflurf said:
Some of the less careful geometric proofs are circular. The key point is that
lim sin(x)/x
should exist and not be zero and the scaling where it is one is chosen for convenience.

Which geometric proof do you claim is circular? Could you give an example? I am of the opinion that the geometric proofs are based on Euclidean axioms and postulates which are independent of those used in caculus.

BiP

One could also start with the power series definition of the sine and differentiate it term by term to get the cosine. This avoids using the Newton quotient sin(x)/x or also use various other definition of sine such as (e[itex]^{ix}[/itex] - e[itex]^{-ix}[/itex])/2i

I never tried this but maybe you can differentiate the continued fraction definition of the sine.

Last edited:

1. What is the sinx/x limit and why is it important to prove it?

The sinx/x limit, also known as the fundamental limit, is a fundamental concept in calculus that helps us understand the behavior of functions at a certain point. It is important to prove it because it allows us to evaluate the limit of many other functions by simply substituting the value of x.

2. Why is L'Hopital's rule used to prove the sinx/x limit?

L'Hopital's rule is a powerful mathematical tool that helps us evaluate limits of functions that are in an indeterminate form. It is particularly useful in proving the sinx/x limit because it allows us to simplify the expression and find the limit more easily.

3. Can the sinx/x limit be proven using other methods besides L'Hopital's rule?

Yes, the sinx/x limit can also be proven using other methods such as the squeeze theorem or the Taylor series expansion. However, L'Hopital's rule is the most commonly used method because it is simple and straightforward.

4. What are the steps involved in proving the sinx/x limit with L'Hopital's rule?

The steps involved in proving the sinx/x limit with L'Hopital's rule are:

1. Take the limit of the original function sinx/x as x approaches 0.
  2. Simplify the expression using trigonometric identities.
  3. Apply L'Hopital's rule by taking the derivative of both the numerator and denominator.
  4. Evaluate the limit of the new function and compare it to the original limit.
  5. If the limits are equal, then the sinx/x limit has been proven.

5. Why is it important to understand and prove the sinx/x limit?

Understanding and proving the sinx/x limit is crucial in many areas of mathematics, especially in calculus and other advanced mathematical concepts. It also helps us understand the behavior of functions at a certain point and provides a foundation for solving more complex mathematical problems.