Help Vampire - Guidelines Page Link Suggestion

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter mishrashubham
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses adding a link to PF's Guidelines page regarding forum etiquette. The link in question is already included in a blog post from two years ago, which addresses the issue of "help vampires." The conversation also mentions the use of LMGTFY as a helpful tool in addressing certain forum behaviors.
mishrashubham
I found this while browsing through the Arch Wiki for Forum Ettiquette. Can we add this link to PF's Guidelines page? It's written pretty well.

Physics news on Phys.org
mishrashubham said:
I found this while browsing through the Arch Wiki for Forum Ettiquette. Can we add this link to PF's Guidelines page? It's written pretty well.

We basically have one of them already

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=3588 [Broken]

If you feel that someone is a help vampire, just point them at that.

Last edited by a moderator:
phinds said:
We basically have one of them already

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=3588 [Broken]

If you feel that someone is a help vampire, just point them at that.

Actually I had read the blog post, but that was two years ago, so I'd forgotten...:blushing:

Thanks for reminding :smile:

Come to think of it I acted like a help vampire myself... *hits self on the head*

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryan_m_b said:
Best responded to with a link to that blog post and one of these
http://bit.ly/S8dxDU

:rofl:

Yeah that too. LMGTFY if pretty cool

1. What is a "Help Vampire"?

A "Help Vampire" is a term used in online communities to describe someone who constantly asks for help without putting in any effort to solve the problem themselves. They often drain resources and time from others without contributing anything back.

2. What are "Guidelines Page Link Suggestions"?

"Guidelines Page Link Suggestions" are recommendations for a specific webpage or resource that provides helpful guidelines or instructions on how to solve a particular problem or issue. These suggestions are often given to "Help Vampires" who are seeking assistance.

3. How can I avoid becoming a "Help Vampire"?

To avoid becoming a "Help Vampire," it is important to do your own research and try to solve the problem yourself before asking for help. When asking for assistance, be specific and provide as much information as possible about the issue. Additionally, try to give back to the community by offering help to others.

4. Are "Help Vampires" intentionally trying to be a drain on resources?

Not necessarily. "Help Vampires" may genuinely need assistance and not realize that they are being a burden. However, it is important for them to understand the impact of their behavior and make an effort to contribute to the community.

5. How can online communities handle "Help Vampires"?

Online communities can handle "Help Vampires" by setting clear guidelines and expectations for asking for help. They can also encourage members to contribute to the community and provide resources for self-help. Moderators can also intervene and redirect "Help Vampires" to more appropriate resources or provide guidance on how to ask for help effectively.