What is the size of the Thalamus in relation to the rest of the brain?

• Thread starter biferi
  • Start date
In summary, the Thalamus is the size of a walnut and is located in the middle of the Brain right about the Top of the Brain Steam.
biferi
I know the Thalamus is in the middle of the Brain right about the Top of the Brain Steam and it has 2 Lobes.

It has a Right Lobe and a Left Lob and is Oval shaped but everything I read says it is the Size of a Large Egg.

Is this right if so this seems small to me I thought is was very Big?

Biology news on Phys.org
biferi said:
I know the Thalamus is in the middle of the Brain right about the Top of the Brain Steam and it has 2 Lobes.

It has a Right Lobe and a Left Lob and is Oval shaped but everything I read says it is the Size of a Large Egg.

If everything you read says it is the size of a large egg, why do you doubt it? Do you have some reason for believing that it should be larger?

Whenever I see photos it looks very big?

biferi said:
Ok I just read on this page
http://www.encyclo.co.uk/define/thalamus

The Thalamus is the size of a Walnut is this about right.

A walnut, in the shell, is the size of a small egg. Why change the analogy. Why not answer my question. Do you have some reason to think it should be bigger?

Well some photos it looks smaller some photos it loks bigger.

biferi said:

You seem to have a thing for brain anatomy. Is this for a class or for your independent study? My guess is that it is an independent interest sort of deal but I haven't reviewed all of your many posts on the subject. My suggestion is that, instead of continuing to query the crew here over every single brain region item by item, you go to your local university and take a continuing or "extended" education physiological psychology class, as almost every university has one of these. What they're going to do in that class is give you a sheep brain and a bovine eyeball that you can keep in your own mason jar(s). You'll get to dissect these treasures and find the answers to your questions the best way possible, through personal hands on experience. You'll never get the same intuition here.

I am sorry I keep getting replys for this Post.

You did help me with it thank you.

What is the function of the thalamus?

The thalamus is a small structure located in the center of the brain that acts as a relay station for sensory information. It receives information from sensory organs and relays it to the appropriate areas of the brain for processing.

Why does the thalamus seem small to me?

The size of the thalamus varies from person to person and can also change throughout a person's lifetime. It may seem small due to individual differences in brain size or changes in brain anatomy due to aging or certain medical conditions.

What happens if the thalamus is damaged?

If the thalamus is damaged, it can lead to a variety of symptoms depending on which areas of the thalamus are affected. These can include sensory disturbances, movement disorders, and cognitive impairments.

Can the thalamus be enlarged or altered?

The size and structure of the thalamus can change in response to certain experiences or behaviors. For example, studies have shown that meditation can lead to changes in the structure and function of the thalamus. However, there is no evidence to suggest that the thalamus can be intentionally enlarged or altered.

How does the thalamus interact with other parts of the brain?

The thalamus is connected to many other areas of the brain and plays a crucial role in integrating and relaying sensory information to these areas. It also plays a role in regulating sleep, consciousness, and attention.