Some numbers with wind turbines

In summary, the GE Wind Energy turbine has a rotor swept area of 4657 m^2 and operates with a wind speed of 11.5 m/s, producing 1.5MW of power. The theoretical upper limit for power production is 4.25MW, based on the assumption of an air density of 1.2kg/m^3 and the computation of kinetic energy in an air mass of cylinder shape. The turbine is able to extract 35% of the kinetic energy from the air flow, which is a reasonable percentage due to the high aspect ratio airfoils and high blade tip speeds. Betz's Law describes the theoretical maximum energy that can be extracted from a wind turbine in a free stream.
jostpuur
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GE_Wind_Energy

The rotor swept area is 4657 m^2, and wind speed is 11.5 m/s. Produced power 1.5MW.

I assumed that the air density is 1.2kg/m^3, and computed, that the theoretical upper limit for produced power would be 4.25MW. This was obtained by computing the kinetic energy in an air mass of cylinder shape.

So the turbine extracts 35% of the kinetic energy of the air flow? Is that a reasonable percentage? Looks quite large to me. How could the three blades with relatively small surface area extract this much?

Engineering news on Phys.org
That's absolutely a reasonable amount, and the way the blades can manage it is because the blades are high aspect ratio airfoils moving at fairly high speeds, so they affect a fairly large region of air around them. The turbines look like they spin slowly because of their large size, but if you work out the blade tip speed, it can be well in excess of a hundred miles per hour. If you're interested in the theoretical limits, you might like reading about Betz's Law, which describes the theoretical maximum energy you can extract with a wind turbine in a free stream.

Likes 1 person
I could tell that my "theoretical upper limit" wasn't really the best (lowest) possible upper limit, but I didn't know about the Betz's law, so thanks for the link.

I was suspecting that there is something peculiar about the relatively small blades moving with high speeds, but I wasn't sure if my numbers were right, and I wanted confirmation.

1. How do wind turbines generate electricity?

Wind turbines use the power of wind to turn their blades, which then spin a generator to produce electricity. The wind's kinetic energy is converted into mechanical energy and then into electrical energy.

2. What is the typical capacity of a wind turbine?

The capacity of a wind turbine varies depending on its size and design. On average, a single wind turbine can produce anywhere from 1.5 to 3 megawatts of electricity, with larger turbines having a higher capacity.

3. What is the lifespan of a wind turbine?

The lifespan of a wind turbine can vary, but on average they can last for 20-25 years. Regular maintenance and repairs can extend the lifespan of a turbine.

4. How much land is needed for a wind farm?

The amount of land needed for a wind farm depends on the number and size of turbines. On average, a wind farm with 20 turbines will require about 200 acres of land. However, the land surrounding the turbines can still be used for farming or other purposes.

5. Are there any negative environmental impacts of wind turbines?

While wind turbines are a renewable source of energy, they can have some negative impacts on the environment. These can include noise pollution, visual impacts, and potential harm to wildlife. However, these impacts can be mitigated through proper planning and design of wind farms.