Collisional excitation of diatomic molecules

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for a diatomic molecule in groundstate and excited state, using collisional excitation with fast electrons at low pressure gas discharge. The person is seeking help in determining the most likely vibrational quantum number of the excited state, and has ruled out using the Franck-Condon principle and Lippmann-Schwinger equation due to limitations in information and dipole approximation.
kuecken
Hi,
assuming I have the potential for a diatomic molecule in the groundstate i=o and excited state i=1

[itex]V_i( r ) = D( 1 − exp[ −β ( r − r_i)] )^2+ C_i[/itex]

Using collisional excitation with fast electrons.
What is the vibrational quantum number of the state the molecule will most likely be excited to?
All under low pressure gas discharge.
I first assumed I could use Franck Condon principle, but this is not the case as I am not radiating on the molecules and thus dipole approximation is not allowed.

I can't use Lippmann–Schwinger equation either because I have no futher information on the interaction.
Can anyone help me?
Thank you,
kuecken

Physics news on Phys.org
kuecken said:
Hi,
I first assumed I could use Franck Condon principle, but this is not the case as I am not radiating on the molecules and thus dipole approximation is not allowed.
I don't understand what the Franck-Condon principle has to do with the dipole approximation. The FC principle operates under the same conditions as the Born-Oppenheimer approximation: nuclei can be considered fixed with respect to electronic motion. If the electronic excitation is fast, then the FC principle applies.

What is collisional excitation of diatomic molecules?

Collisional excitation of diatomic molecules is a process in which two molecules collide and transfer energy, causing the diatomic molecule to become excited and move to a higher energy state.

How does collisional excitation occur?

Collisional excitation can occur when molecules collide at high speeds, causing their outer electrons to interact and transfer energy. This energy transfer can result in the diatomic molecule becoming excited.

What is the importance of collisional excitation in scientific research?

Collisional excitation is an important process in scientific research as it is a fundamental step in many chemical reactions and can provide valuable insights into the properties and behavior of diatomic molecules.

What factors influence the likelihood of collisional excitation?

The likelihood of collisional excitation is influenced by factors such as the speed and energy of the colliding molecules, the nature of the collision, and the electronic and molecular structure of the molecules involved.

How is collisional excitation studied and measured?

Collisional excitation can be studied and measured through various techniques such as spectroscopy, which allows scientists to observe the changes in energy levels of the diatomic molecules and analyze the resulting spectra.