Sound Intensity Level

by JoaoCorvina
Tags: doppler, intensity, level, sound
JoaoCorvina
Jan26-14, 09:14 AM
P: 3
Not a homework... simple curiosity by trying to know this a bit better in order to learn and understand possible effects of sound to marine mammals auditory systems.
In sea water, at distance of 1m from a localized sound source, you measure the intensity level as 237 dB.
How far away from the source must you be for the intensity level to fall to 180/170 dB? I am trying to do this but i come up with distances that don't seem right to me...

Been using this equation taken from http://www.underwaternoise.org.uk/me...ce_level.shtml

SPL = 237 - 25.35 log(R)

by replacing SPL with 180 dB, R comes up with a ow value for the distance which shouldn't be that low... it should be around 500m, distance that we consider to be safe for marine mammals.

Am I doing it right?

Would appreciate some help and some explanations!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Mapping the road to quantum gravity
Chameleon crystals could enable active camouflage (w/ video)
mfb
Jan26-14, 11:51 AM
Mentor
P: 10,853
~180m is not so far away from 500m, especially with a logarithmic scale. With 170dB, it is very close to 500m, and some safety factor is always a good idea.

In addition, several factors can change the formula:
- different wavelengths can have different absorption in water
- if the depth of the sea is not large compared to the horizontal distance, the floor can be relevant.
- reflections elsewhere can be relevant

Register to reply