Solve Relativity Problems: Answering Qs on Electron Momentum & Collision Energy

• Thread starter F.B
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This theory has revolutionized our understanding of the universe and has been confirmed through numerous experiments. Relativity also affects the momentum of an electron, as its velocity approaches the speed of light, its momentum also increases. The momentum of an electron can be calculated using the equation p = mv, and collision energy is the total amount of energy involved in a collision between two particles. In relativity, the mass of an object increases with its velocity, which means the collision energy also increases. This is important to consider in particle collisions, such as in
F.B
I need help with two of these questions.

1. An electron is traveling at 0.866c, with respect to the face of a television picture tube. What is the value of its relativistic momentum to the tube?

Im not goin to post every single step but i'll post my answer.

p=mv/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)
p=9.11 x 10^-31 x (0.866 x 3.00 x 10^8)/sqrt(0.250044)
p=4.74 x 10^-22

Thats the answer i get but in my book, they have 1.58 x 10^-30.

2. The electron and positron each have a rest mass of 9.11 x 10^-31 kg. In a certain experiment, an electron and positron collide and vanish, leaving only electromagnetic radiation after the interaction. Each particle is moving at a speed of 0.20c relative to the laboratory before the collision. Determine the energy of the electromagnetic radiation.

First of all do i have to solve this question like a collision problem, if i do there is no after situation.

Anyways i think i have to solve for Ek.

So Et=Ek + Erest

Et=mc^2/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)
Et=9.11 x 10^-31 x (3.00 x 10^8)^2/sqrt(0.96)
Et=8.37 x 10^-14
Erest = 8.2 x 10^-14
Ek= 8.37 x 10^-14 - 8.2 x 10^-14
Ek= 1.7 x 10^-15

But this answer isn't right. In my book they have 0.615 MeV and when i convert my answer to that i don't get that answer. So what did i do wrong ,cant anyone help me please.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Did your textbook provide an answer for p/c? It looks like they dropped a factor of c.

2. Since the rest energy of an electron is 0.511 MeV then the annihilation of an electron positron pair must yield a photon of at least twice that energy (1.022 MeV). For the parameters you've given the result should be 1.043 MeV with the extra energy being provided by the kinetic energy of the electron and positron.

What textbook are you using?

I'm using the Grade 12 nelson physics book.

So is my answer for number 1 correct?

For number 2 if i do:

Ek=2(8.37 x 10^-14) - 2(8.2 x 10^-14) would this be right that way I am taking into account both the positron and electron or does one of these energies cancel out because they have to be going in opposite directions to cancel out.

Last edited:
#1 looks good to me.

In #2 all of the energy initially present (kinetic plus rest) is transformed into electromagnetic radiation so [itex]E = 2 \gamma m_0 c^2[/itex].

Actually, your answer to #1 is incorrect, since it lacks units. I say this not to be a smartass, but because units are one of the ways of checking and verifying. For example, your answer should be in kg m/sec. If the book's answer is simply in kg, you know they've divided by a velocity (for whatever reason). But if the book states 1.58 x 10^-30 kg m /sec, then the book is in error.

Hey Tide I've never seen that formula before. It's not in any of the sections that relate to that question i asked. I'll check my whole book but i don't know what that gamma symbol is.

gamma is the common symbol used in relativity:

gamma = 1 / sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)

1. What is relativity and why is it important in physics?

Relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This theory is important because it has revolutionized our understanding of the universe and has been confirmed through numerous experiments.

2. How does relativity affect the momentum of an electron?

According to relativity, the momentum of an electron can change as its velocity approaches the speed of light. This is because the mass of an object increases as its velocity increases. Therefore, as the electron's velocity increases, its momentum also increases.

3. How do you calculate the momentum of an electron?

The momentum of an electron can be calculated using the equation p = mv, where p is the momentum, m is the mass of the electron, and v is the velocity of the electron. The unit for momentum is kilogram-meter per second (kg*m/s).

4. What is collision energy and how is it related to relativity?

Collision energy is the total amount of energy involved in a collision between two particles. In relativity, the mass of an object increases as its velocity increases, which means the collision energy also increases. This is important to consider in particle collisions, such as in particle accelerators, where relativity plays a significant role.

5. How can relativity be used to solve problems involving electron momentum and collision energy?

Relativity can be used to solve problems involving electron momentum and collision energy by taking into account the effects of high velocities and the increase in mass. Equations and principles from relativity, such as the Lorentz factor and the conservation of energy and momentum, can be applied to accurately calculate these quantities in various scenarios.