Calculating proper time for uniformly accelerated bodies

In summary, the conversation is about finding the "proper time" for a body that is uniformly accelerated. The problem involves finding the speed and distance travelled after a given time, as well as the proper time elapsed. The conversation also includes attempts at solving an integral that arises in the problem.
Hyperreality
Finding the "proper time"

I'm currently working through the book "A first course in general relativity" by Bernard F. Schutz, and I am kind of stuck on one of the problem on page 56 question 19.

Problem
A body is said to be uniformly accelerated if its acceleration four vector [tex]\vec{a} [/tex] has constant spatial direction and magnitude, say [tex] \vec{a} \cdot \vec{a} = \alpha^2 \geq 0[/tex].

(a) Suppose a body is uniformly accelerated with [tex]\alpha[/tex]. Find the speed of the body after time [tex]t[/tex], and the distance travelled.

This one is okay, I manage to work it out.

[tex] v(t) = \frac{\alpha t}{\sqrt{1+\alpha^2t^2}}[/tex]

By integrating [tex]v(t)[/tex] with respect to [tex]t[/tex], I get

[tex]x(t) = \frac{1}{\alpha}\ln(\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+\alpha^2t^2}})[/tex]

(b) Find the proper time elapsed for the body in (a), as a function of [tex]t[/tex]

This is the one I'm having problem with. I started with the expression of proper time in terms of the Lorentz invariant

[tex]-d\tau^2 = -dt^2 + dx^2[/tex]

I then computed [tex]dx/dt[/tex] and obtain an expression for [tex]dx^2[/tex].

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=-e^{2\alpha x}\sqrt{e^{-2\alpha x} -1}[/tex]

[tex]dx^2 = (e^{2\alpha x} - e^{4\alpha x})dt^2[/tex]

substitute this into the Lorentz invariant, with a bit of algebra we get

[tex]d\tau^2 = (1 - (\frac{\alpha t}{1 + \alpha^2t^2})^2)dt^2[/tex]

[tex] \tau = \int\sqrt{1 - (\frac{\alpha t}{1 + \alpha^2t^2})^2}dt[/tex]
I spent quite a lot of time try to evaluate the integral in vain. I tried "normal" substitution, trigonometric substitution. I even tried to do it by integrate by parts by writing as

[tex]\int(\frac{d\tau}{dt})^{2}dt = \int{1 - (\frac{\alpha t}{1 + \alpha^2t^2})^2}dt[/tex]

And evalute the LHS and RHS separately to no avail.

Can anyone help me to evaluate this integral, or point out my mistakes?

Appreciate it.

P.S. Even if the physics is wrong, I am still interested in knowing how to evaluate this type of integral.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me like:

[tex] \tau = \int\sqrt{1 - (\frac{\alpha t}{1 + \alpha^2t^2})^2}dt[/tex]

should be:

[tex] \tau = \int\sqrt{1 - (\frac{\alpha t}{\sqrt{1 + \alpha^2t^2}})^2}dt[/tex]

Then the integral becomes straighforward.

Last edited:

What is the concept of "Finding the proper time"?

"Finding the proper time" is a concept in physics that refers to determining the amount of time that has passed for an event or process according to a particular observer or frame of reference. It takes into account factors such as the relative motion of different objects and the effects of gravity.

Why is it important to find the proper time?

Finding the proper time is important because it allows us to accurately measure and understand the effects of time on various phenomena. It also helps us make predictions and calculations that are essential in fields such as astrophysics and relativity.

How is the proper time calculated?

The proper time is calculated using the concept of spacetime, which combines the dimensions of space and time into a single entity. It involves using equations and mathematical models to account for the effects of motion and gravity on the passage of time.

Can the proper time be different for different observers?

Yes, the proper time can be different for different observers depending on their relative motion and the effects of gravity on their respective frames of reference. This is known as time dilation and is a fundamental concept in the theory of relativity.

What are some real-world applications of finding the proper time?

Finding the proper time has many practical applications, such as in GPS technology, where it is essential for accurate location tracking. It is also crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of high-speed particles in particle accelerators, as well as in the study of astronomical phenomena such as black holes and supernovae.