How can you rationalize the denominator of a fraction with a radical?

• Thread starter Richay
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to rationalize the denominator of a fraction with a square root. It is suggested to multiply by the square root of the denominator to get rid of the square root. The concept of multiplying by the reciprocal or conjugate is also mentioned, but it is concluded that it is unnecessary and confusing. The final solution is to multiply both the numerator and denominator by the same value to maintain the same fraction.
Richay
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6185/bbb9gy.gif

You have to multiply the top and bottom by 18 right? From then, I'm confused.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You want to get the square root out of the denominator so you need to multiply by the square root.

If you want to get the square root then you need to multiply by the square root? Is there two square roots? Of 5 it's originaly 2.24 [Estimated]. But 5x18=90. I don't understand, this is mind twisting but it seems so easy.

Try multiplying the entire thing by [itex]\frac{\sqrt{18}}{\sqrt{18}}[/itex] and see where you can go from there.

Richay said:
If you want to get the square root then you need to multiply by the square root? Is there two square roots? Of 5 it's originaly 2.24 [Estimated]. But 5x18=90. I don't understand, this is mind twisting but it seems so easy.
Do you understand that [tex]\sqrt{a} \cdot \sqrt{a}=a[/tex]?

^Yes i do understand that. I learned that a while ago.

Yikes i still don't understand how to complete the problem.
18x5=90
But how does that occur? Aren't the two denominators suppose to both be the same number?
2/(Sqrt18)
---

The reason this problem confuses me is becuase I know how to Rationalize the denominator when the extra number like the "5" isn't there.

Why should the two denominators both be the same number? 2/4 is the same as 1/2 but they don't have the same denominator.

If you know how to rationalize the denominator when the extra number isn't there then the procedure is no different here.

Did you follow ksinclair13's advice?

The goal is to get rid of any square roots in the denominator. The only thing you can really do to that expression is multiply it by a form of 1 since multiplying it by 1 doesn't change the expression.

Last edited:
Richay said:
^Yes i do understand that. I learned that a while ago.

Yikes i still don't understand how to complete the problem.
18x5=90
But how does that occur? Aren't the two denominators suppose to both be the same number?
2/(Sqrt18)
---

The reason this problem confuses me is becuase I know how to Rationalize the denominator when the extra number like the "5" isn't there.
Then take it out! How would you rationalize the denominator if the problem were [itex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{18}}[/itex]? After you've done that, just put the 5 back in.

[tex] 2/sqrt18 \times sqrt18/sqrt18[/tex]

I understand that part, but can someone please tell me how you would know when to multiply a fraction by its reciprocal opposed to its conjugate.

konartist said:
[tex] 2/sqrt18 \times sqrt18/sqrt18[/tex]

I understand that part, but can someone please tell me how you would know when to multiply a fraction by its reciprocal opposed to its conjugate.

Well, you'd have to tell me what you mean by the "conjugate" of a fraction before I could answer. You multiply by the reciprocal of a fraction when you are dividing by that fraction of course. You are NOT dividing by any fraction here.

[tex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{18}} \times \frac{\sqrt{18}}{\sqrt{18}}= [/tex] what??

And what would that be when you put the 5 back in the denominator?

I think he means that when you have

[tex]\frac{2}{1+\sqrt{18}}[/tex]

you would multiply by [tex]\frac{1-\sqrt{18}}{1-\sqrt{18}}[/tex]

In a way you're doing that when you're doing the following problem (Obviously this would be doing unnecessary steps and be even more confusing but I'm just showing that you're basically doing the same thing):

[tex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{18}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{2}{0+\sqrt{18}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{2}{0+\sqrt{18}} \times \frac{0-\sqrt{18}}{0-\sqrt{18}} [/tex]
[tex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{18}} \times \frac{-\sqrt{18}}{-\sqrt{18}} [/tex]
[tex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{18}} \times \frac{\sqrt{18}}{\sqrt{18}} [/tex]

Like I said, you have to think of what would you have to multiply the denominator by to get rid of the square root. If the denominator is [itex]\sqrt{a}[/itex] then it makes sense to multiply by [itex]\sqrt{a}[/itex]. If the denominator is [itex]b+ \sqrt{a}[/itex] then it makes sense to multiply by [itex]b-\sqrt{a}[/itex] because in general it's true that [itex](c+d)(c-d)=c^2-d^2[/itex] Since you can't change the fraction you have to multiply both numerator and denominator by the same thing. (You have to multiply the original fraction by 1 to not change it)

Last edited:

1. What does it mean to rationalize the denominator?

Rationalizing the denominator refers to the process of rewriting a fraction with a radical (√) in the denominator in a form that does not contain any radicals. This is done by multiplying both the numerator and denominator by a suitable expression that will eliminate the radical in the denominator.

2. Why do we need to rationalize denominators?

Rationalizing denominators is often necessary in order to simplify complex fractions and make them easier to work with. It also helps to eliminate any irrational numbers in the denominator, which can make calculations more accurate.

3. How do you rationalize a single-term denominator?

To rationalize a single-term denominator (i.e. a denominator with only one radical term), you can multiply the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the radical term. The conjugate is the same term but with the opposite sign between the two terms.

4. Can you rationalize a two-term or multi-term denominator?

Yes, you can still rationalize a two-term or multi-term denominator by using the same method of multiplying by the conjugate. However, it may require multiple steps and simplification of the resulting expression may be necessary.

5. Are there any situations where you should not rationalize the denominator?

In some cases, rationalizing the denominator may not be necessary or even helpful. For example, if the expression is already in its simplest form or if the radical in the denominator can be easily simplified, it may be best to leave it as is. Additionally, in some mathematical problems, leaving the radical in the denominator may be more useful for further calculations.