In dual boot, having Windows load by default

In summary, to change the default operating system when booting your computer, you need to edit the /boot/grub/grub.conf (or menu.lst) file in Fedora. Look for the "default" line and change the number to correspond with the operating system you want to load by default.
FulhamFan3
I have a computer dual booted with Fedora Core 5 and Windows XP. I only have Fedora on so I can learn how to use Linux and XP is my primary OS. Whenever I boot up it gives me a few seconds to choose between XP and Fedora otherwise it loads Fedora by default.

How do I change this to have it load XP by default?

thanks for any help

Computer science news on Phys.org
Boot up in Fedora, look for the file /boot/grub/grub.conf. That's the file that grub uses to generate the startup menu. (At least that's the filename in gentoo linux and Redhat 9; if you can't find that file, Fedora may name it differently. In some distributions it's called menu.lst.)

Open it in a text editor.

You should see a line that says
"default 0" or "default 1"

You should also see a group of lines starting with
"title=Fedora ..."
and another group of lines beginning with
"title=WindowsXP..."

The "0" or "1" relates to the corresponding set of operating system entries (0 refers to the first menu item, 1 refers to the 2nd menu item), so if Windows is listed first on your menu, you want "default 0" to boot Windows by default; alternatively, if Fedora is first on your menu, then you want "default 1" to default to Windows.

Just change the 1 to a 0, or the 0 to a 1, whichever applies, & save the file.

Last edited:

To change the default operating system in a dual boot setup, you will need to modify the boot loader settings. In this case, it sounds like you are using the GRUB boot loader, which is commonly used in Linux distributions. To make Windows the default operating system, you will need to edit the GRUB configuration file.

First, you will need to open the terminal in Fedora and navigate to the GRUB configuration file. This file is usually located at /boot/grub/grub.conf. You can use the command "sudo gedit /boot/grub/grub.conf" to open the file in a text editor.

In the GRUB configuration file, you will see a section labeled "default". This is where you can specify which operating system should be loaded by default. The default value is usually set to 0, which means the first listed operating system will be loaded. In your case, you will need to change this value to the number corresponding to Windows XP in the list of operating systems. For example, if Windows XP is listed as the second option, you would change the default value to 1.

Save the changes to the GRUB configuration file and exit the text editor. The next time you boot up your computer, Windows XP should be loaded by default. If you ever want to change it back to Fedora, you can simply go back and change the default value to the number corresponding to Fedora in the list.

I hope this helps and happy learning with Linux!

1. How do I change the default operating system in a dual boot setup?

The default operating system in a dual boot setup can be changed by accessing the boot menu during the startup process. This can usually be done by pressing a specific key, such as F12, during the boot process. From the boot menu, you can select the desired operating system to be set as the default.

2. Can I set a timer for the default operating system to load in a dual boot setup?

Yes, you can set a timer for the default operating system to load in a dual boot setup. This can be done by accessing the boot menu and selecting the option to set a timer. This will allow you to specify the amount of time before the default operating system automatically loads.

3. Will changing the default operating system affect my files and data?

No, changing the default operating system in a dual boot setup will not affect your files and data. All of your files will still be accessible in both operating systems, as long as they are stored in a separate partition or drive that is accessible by both operating systems.

4. Can I switch the default operating system back to Windows after setting it to another operating system?

Yes, you can switch the default operating system back to Windows after setting it to another operating system. You can do this by accessing the boot menu and selecting Windows as the default operating system.

5. Is it possible to remove one of the operating systems from the dual boot setup?

Yes, it is possible to remove one of the operating systems from the dual boot setup. However, this process can be complicated and may result in the loss of data. It is recommended to consult a professional or follow a reliable guide before attempting to remove an operating system from a dual boot setup.