Calculating Total Charge Flowing Through Circuit

In summary, the problem assumes that current is linearly proportional to time with an initial condition of 5A at time 0 and 1A at time 4 hours. The total charge that flows through the circuit is calculated to be 43200C over a period of 14400 seconds. The conversation also confirms that the values and calculations seem correct.
Valhalla
In this problem assume that current is linearly proportional to time. The intial condition at time 0 is 5A. At time 4 hours the current is 1A. What is the total charge that flows through this circuit?

[tex] t_0=0 [/tex]
[tex]i_0=5A [/tex]
[tex]t_f=14400s [/tex]
[tex]i_f=1A [/tex]

[tex] \frac{i_f-i_0}{t_f-t_0} =\frac{-4A}{14400} [/tex]

[tex] q=\int_{0}^{14400}(\frac{-1A}{3600}t+5)dt [/tex]

[tex]q= \left[\frac{-1}{7200}t^2+5t\right]_{0}^{14400} [/tex]

[tex]q= 43200C[/tex]

That seems like a whole lot of charge. I know it is a long period of time. Can anyone see anything wrong with this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1A is a very large current too. It looks fine to me.

I can confirm that the calculations and assumptions made in this problem are correct. The total charge flow through the circuit can be calculated by integrating the current function over the given time period. The resulting value of 43200C seems reasonable, considering the initial and final current values and the length of time. However, it is always important to double check calculations and assumptions to ensure accuracy. Additionally, it would be helpful to provide units for the time and current values to avoid confusion.

1. How do you calculate total charge flowing through a circuit?

To calculate the total charge flowing through a circuit, you need to first determine the current (in amperes) and the time (in seconds) that the current flows. Then, use the equation Q = I * t, where Q is the total charge (in coulombs), I is the current, and t is the time.

2. What units are used to measure charge flowing through a circuit?

The unit used to measure charge flowing through a circuit is the coulomb (C). This unit represents the amount of charge that passes through a point in a circuit when a current of one ampere flows for one second.

3. Can the total charge flowing through a circuit be negative?

No, the total charge flowing through a circuit cannot be negative. Charge is a scalar quantity, meaning it has only magnitude and not direction. Therefore, it is always represented as a positive value.

4. How does the total charge flowing through a series circuit differ from a parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the total charge flowing through the circuit is the same at any given point because the current is constant. However, in a parallel circuit, the total charge is divided between the different branches of the circuit based on their resistances. This means that the total charge flowing through a parallel circuit is larger than that of a series circuit.

5. How does the total charge flowing through a circuit affect the power of the circuit?

The total charge flowing through a circuit does not directly affect the power of the circuit. Power is determined by the voltage and current in the circuit, not the charge. However, a higher charge flow can cause an increase in the current, which in turn can increase the power of the circuit.