Question about osmosis and osmotic pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of osmosis and the movement of solvent and solute between two solutions separated by a membrane. The question is raised of why the solvent moves from high to low concentration, as opposed to the solute, and the speaker suggests a potential misunderstanding in assuming the concentration of solute is the determining factor. The expert advises against using the statement "vice versa" in exams and suggests a more accurate explanation of solvent movement.
FunkyDwarf
Hey

Was making up some chem notes (mid semester study break, thought id better actually do some) and came across osmosis. Now my understanding of this is that you have two solutions separated by a membrane that let's the solvent pass but not the solute. What i don't get is why the solvent goes from high concentration (of solute i assume) to low, surely that actually increases and furthere unequalises the concentration instead of restoring it?

Cheers
-G

Physics news on Phys.org
FunkyDwarf said:
Hey

Was making up some chem notes (mid semester study break, thought id better actually do some) and came across osmosis. Now my understanding of this is that you have two solutions separated by a membrane that let's the solvent pass but not the solute. What i don't get is why the solvent goes from high concentration (of solute i assume)

Wrong assumption. Since there are only two possible assumptions --- would you like to guess again?

to low, surely that actually increases and furthere unequalises the concentration instead of restoring it?

Cheers
-G

ok so youre saying in terms of the concentration of the solvent it moves from high to low and thus vice versa for solute?

"... and thus vice versa ..." Use that on an exam, and expect to get gigged more often than not; that statement suggests that solute moves. Go ahead and write it out, "Solvent moves from the solution with lower solute concentration through the membrane to the solution with higher solute concentration."

1. What is osmosis?

Osmosis is the movement of water molecules from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration across a semipermeable membrane. This process is driven by the tendency of water molecules to move from an area of high water potential to an area of low water potential.

2. How does osmosis affect cells?

Osmosis is essential for maintaining the balance of fluids inside and outside of cells. If the concentration of solutes (particles) is higher outside the cell, water will move out of the cell, causing it to shrink. If the concentration of solutes is higher inside the cell, water will move into the cell, causing it to swell and potentially burst.

3. What is osmotic pressure?

Osmotic pressure is the pressure that needs to be applied to a solution to prevent the flow of water across a semipermeable membrane. It is a measure of the concentration of solutes in the solution and their ability to attract water molecules.

4. How is osmotic pressure measured?

Osmotic pressure can be measured using a device called an osmometer. This device uses a semipermeable membrane to separate two solutions with different concentrations of solutes. The pressure needed to stop the flow of water across the membrane is then measured and used to calculate the osmotic pressure of the solution.

5. What are the practical applications of osmosis and osmotic pressure?

Osmosis and osmotic pressure have many important applications in various fields such as medicine, food industry, and water treatment. For example, osmosis is used in medical treatments to deliver medication to specific cells and in food preservation to remove excess moisture. Osmotic pressure is also used in water treatment to filter out impurities and in the production of artificial kidney machines to remove waste from the blood.