M.U. Metal as Magnetic Insulator: Can Waves Travel in a Beam?

In summary, the author says that mu-metal does not work as an "insulating" material, but can be used as a shield against weak magnetic fields. They also say that silicon-steel is used at a magnetic shield at higher magnetic field levels.
frozendreams
hey everyone I am new on the site and I've had a burning quistion in the back of my mind for ever

will M.U. metal work as a magnetic insulator?
if so, could you make the magnetic waves travel in a beam like light.
PLEASE answer think about this, i really need everyones help.

-frozendreams

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mu metal attracts free-space magnetic field and concentrates it inside the mu metal itself. If the mu metal is formed into something like a hollow pipe, it will still concentrate the field lines inside the metal, and basically nothing will be inside the pipe. So I don't think you can use mu metal for an "insulating" function, although you certainly can use it as a magnetic circuit (or any ferrous metal can be used for a "magnetic conductor" like you use in transformers, etc.).

Transverse magnetic field waves are part of light, of course, as part of the whole transverse electromagnetic wave (TEM wave) effect.

berkeman said:
If the mu metal is formed into something like a hollow pipe, it will still concentrate the field lines inside the metal, and basically nothing will be inside the pipe. So I don't think you can use mu metal for an "insulating" function, although you certainly can use it as a magnetic circuit (or any ferrous metal can be used for a "magnetic conductor" like you use in transformers, etc.).
We may be interpreting "insulating" differently, but the pipe you described insulates the insides from external fields, doesn't it?

Mumetal is routinely used for magnetic shielding.

Gokul43201 said:
We may be interpreting "insulating" differently, but the pipe you described insulates the insides from external fields, doesn't it?

Very true, but I interpreted the OP question to be something like he'd like to have a B-field conductor that is insulated from other fields. I guess you could use something like a coaxial arrangement, where the outer mu metal hollow pipe has an air gap to an inner mu metal rod. The outer cylinder does as you say and insulates the inner rod from the outside fields, and the inner mu metal rod serves as the conductor for the desired field.

But it also sounded like frozendreams wanted the resulting protected B field to be in free space...?

mu-metal is used as a shield against weak magnetic fields, such as the Earth's field, in scientific instruments where a weak field is a problem. mu-metal is used in oscilloscopes using cathode-ray tubes.
If the mu-metal is arranged as an enclosure, then incident magnetic lines will follow the mu-metal and not penetrate the inside volume.
mu-metal is easily saturated and not useful for high fields.

silicon-steel is used at a magnetic shield at higher magnetic field levels, however silicon steel is transparent to weak fields.

A composite of mu-metal and silicon-steel layers provides a shield against all magnetic fields up to the saturation level of the silicon-steel.

I just reread your post and I think we are trying to do the same thing. See my post, "Are magnetic bubbles possible?".

If a magnetic field can be collimated and sent like a beam of light, then a magnetic bubble can also be created.

If it is impossible to collimate a magnetic field, then a magnetic bubble is also impossible I think.

1. What is M.U. Metal and how does it work as a magnetic insulator?

M.U. Metal, short for Mu-metal, is a type of alloy made from nickel, iron, copper, and molybdenum. It works as a magnetic insulator by effectively redirecting and absorbing magnetic fields, preventing them from passing through the material.

2. Can M.U. Metal be used to block or shield electromagnetic waves?

Yes, M.U. Metal can be used to block or shield electromagnetic waves. Its high magnetic permeability allows it to redirect the waves, reducing their strength and preventing them from passing through. This makes it useful in applications where electromagnetic interference needs to be minimized, such as in electronic devices and medical equipment.

3. How does M.U. Metal affect the propagation of waves in a beam?

M.U. Metal can significantly affect the propagation of waves in a beam. As a magnetic insulator, it alters the magnetic field of the beam, causing it to change direction and lose energy. This can result in a decrease in the beam's intensity and range.

4. Is M.U. Metal a better magnetic insulator than other materials?

Yes, M.U. Metal is considered to be one of the best magnetic insulators available. Its high magnetic permeability and low coercivity make it highly effective in redirecting and absorbing magnetic fields. It also has the added benefit of being lightweight and easily moldable, making it suitable for use in various applications.

5. Can M.U. Metal be used in combination with other materials to enhance its magnetic insulating properties?

Yes, M.U. Metal can be combined with other materials to enhance its magnetic insulating properties. For example, it can be layered with other materials to create a composite material with even higher magnetic permeability. It can also be coated with other materials to improve its resistance to corrosion.